does gps use data? Someone who doesnt have a blackberry wanted to know if they could use gps without a data plan. Anyone know for sure?
    02-12-09 02:52 PM
    I guess it depends on what kind of device they're using.

The maps have to come from 'somewhere' unless you're using a program that just displays some rudimentary info like Lat/Lon/direction/speed.

The 'data' portion would be the download of maps from the network (google, bbmaps, etc).

Example: I had a gps hooked up to my laptop, but I had DeLorme on it to display a map as I travelled.

I also have an old Garmin GPS V that I would have to upload maps to before I set out for a particular area.

I used to have an HTC Tilt I installed iGuidance on. It used the GPS and displayed maps, but did not use the network (I don't think it was even very network aware other than requesting weather info if you asked for it). It just so happened it was a native WindowsMobile app for PDAs that worked on the PDA/phone version as well.

I think mobile devices and mobile-aware apps 'expect' to be hooked up to a network and would expect a connection to get the data on the fly and not clutter up sometimes lacking amounts of device storage.

-m
    02-12-09 03:09 PM
    If you are on the network, then, the data points are calculated from where you are on the mobile network.
    I'm pretty sure the data you see on the BB screen is downloaded from Google or other app creator.
    Your BB does not have a GPS chip in it but all the cell towers do.
    06-22-09 04:28 PM
    kentek, what are you talking about? The Storm and the Bold (and the Curve 8330 for that matter) have a GPS chip in them.

To the OP, even if you can get the GPS to work without data (which in theory is possible), the maps depend upon DATA being constantly downloaded. There are some options to get maps without data but they are limited.

And if your friend is on Verizon, not having data isn't an option anyway with a BlackBerry.
    06-22-09 05:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD