This may have been posted somewhere, but I can't find it...I am trying to use GPS with my US Cellular Curve. Any ideas? Any suggestions? The GPS is turned on, although it just searches and searches....Thanks in advance!!
    07-24-08 07:57 PM
    Do you have a data plan?
    07-24-08 08:01 PM
    I do...I have a friend with the same exact Berry on AT&T and she has NO issues at all. Mine, just sits and searches....I cannot even find where I live on BB Maps! I bought this one with the understanding that it could serve as a GPS locator and help me NOT to get lost on my few trips out of the general area that I take, but no dice!! Let me know if you have any ideas!!
    07-24-08 08:08 PM
    I have a Curve with US Cellular and my GPS works great. Once in a while it doesn't work, so I do a battery pull, and then it works.

I got my Curve on June 20. When I first got it the GPS wasn't working. I upgraded the OS to version 4.3.0.127 and then the GPS started working.
    07-24-08 08:55 PM
    This may have been posted somewhere, but I can't find it...I am trying to use GPS with my US Cellular Curve. Any ideas? Any suggestions? The GPS is turned on, although it just searches and searches....Thanks in advance!!
    You are the second USCellular user in recent days with GPS problems. Here's the thread with the first user. See if it helps: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/fre...eceiver-53937/
    07-24-08 10:07 PM
    jrusch...so the upgrade fixed it huh? I got mine the same day you did. I am a little scared to muck around with it much, as this is the second on in a month. The first Curve USC programmed wrong and couldn't unprogram so they said, so they had to replace it. It wouldn't stay connected to the browser. How hard is it to upgrade the OS? How does it work now that you did, as in, what exactly does it do now with the GPS?
    07-24-08 10:26 PM
    JeffH, I wouldn't need the keychain if I could get the external GPS working would I? This is all too new for me, and the way USC disables everything is frustrating!!!
    07-24-08 10:30 PM
    JeffH, I wouldn't need the keychain if I could get the external GPS working would I? This is all too new for me, and the way USC disables everything is frustrating!!!
    The Freedom Keychain 2000 is an external GPS. You do not need it if you can get the internal GPS working. To my knowledge, only Verizon blocks the use of the internal GPS in all their blackberryies. But there are not so many USC users, so maybe I just haven't heard about it til now. I hope they don't.
    07-24-08 10:50 PM
    The OS upgrade is for the most part a trouble-free upgrade, as long as you follow the instructions (post also where on Crackberry, make sure you delete the vendor.xml file). And be patient.

After I upgraded, the GPS has been working great for me. However, I am unable to get youtube or streaming radio to work. I think it worked before the upgrade.
    07-25-08 07:29 AM
    Hmmm, sounds like it is one or the other with us huh? I guess updating the OS is not that difficult. I am a little scared to do it, but if it will get my stuff working then it sounds like a plan. How long did it take?
    07-25-08 03:33 PM
    I just came back from the local US Cellular store. I live in Oklahoma and have had similar problems. I just learned that I can call *228 to get an upgrade to my phone so it can access the latest satellites. It seems to have helped and doesn't cost anything. I don't know where you live and assume the *228 number can be used anywhere with US Cellular.
    07-28-08 05:23 PM
    I just came back from the local US Cellular store. I live in Oklahoma and have had similar problems. I just learned that I can call *228 to get an upgrade to my phone so it can access the latest satellites. It seems to have helped and doesn't cost anything. I don't know where you live and assume the *228 number can be used anywhere with US Cellular.
    I don't want to discourage you, but there isn't anything you can upgrade to see more satellites. *228 Option 2 or *22899 is used on Verizon phones to upgrade the phone's programming, which may improve cellular coverage. I suspect the same is true of USCellular. Unless USCellular is using cell towers to assist the GPS, reprogramming the phone won't affect GPS reception. True GPS reception does not require any phone service (but downloading maps does).
    07-28-08 06:03 PM
    Jeff,

I will be getting a new Blackberry in a few days (the 8330 Curve). My 8830 is defective, as you had suggested to me a few days ago. When it comes, I'll have to call to activate it, and I'll ask about *228. Someone mentioned on another post that US Cellular used to use cell towers to assist in gps location, but the person said US Cellular discontinued it because they couldn't figure out a way to charge for it. I dunno. I'll ask about exactly what *228 does and let you know what the tech people say.
    07-28-08 06:53 PM
    Jeff,

I will be getting a new Blackberry in a few days (the 8330 Curve). My 8830 is defective, as you had suggested to me a few days ago. When it comes, I'll have to call to activate it, and I'll ask about *228. Someone mentioned on another post that US Cellular used to use cell towers to assist in gps location, but the person said US Cellular discontinued it because they couldn't figure out a way to charge for it. I dunno. I'll ask about exactly what *228 does and let you know what the tech people say.
    Do let us know what the techs say. I'm glad you are getting a new phone. After you've used if for a couple of weeks, I'd like to hear your thoughts on how it compares to the 8830: keyboard, robustness, durability, etc. I hope it works out well for you.
    07-28-08 07:55 PM
    Back to the GPS issues....got it working, sorta. I can open it, it will find me using the satellites and give me directions. Written ones, but will not plot on the map. I got it to plot a thin black line on my course yesterday and cannot figure out how I did it. Sooooo, maybe this is OE (operator error) and I need to ask (read...beg) for help. I am taking another road trip tomorrow and even though I know the course, I'd like to "test" the GPS functioning of getting me where I want to go. Yesterday it did good until I turned onto the military base where I work. The road names did not come up, and the "you are here" marker got REALLY confused and started flashing and turning in circles.

So, if you guys will, tell me step by step how to use this app, or send me a link to where I can find the info! THANKS!!!!!!!
    07-29-08 06:14 PM
    Your earlier post referred to BBMaps. Is that the app you're using? I have it and Google Maps on my 8830, but I'm using it with an external GPS.
    07-29-08 06:44 PM
    Yep, BB Maps for now...it seems to work great for a friend of mine, but not so much for me lol!
    07-29-08 10:17 PM
    Does your bbmaps have a start GPS menu item? I think when used with an internal GPS it may not. I assume you have your GPS selected in bbmaps. Selecting the GPS and then starting the GPS are the only steps I take.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-08 10:29 PM
    What app are you using?
    07-30-08 02:05 PM
    I am using BB Maps, the GPS is on, and when I start the GPS it just starts tracking where I am going, not giving me directions to where I need to go. It did once, and that was it. I can get written directions like from Mapquest, but nothing gets put on the map.
    07-30-08 02:10 PM
    I too have a USCC Curve 8830 that's only 2 days old. It replaced an 8830 that started doing bad things behind my back and could no longer be trusted.

The new Curve would never aquire a satellite no matter how long I left it out in clear view of most of the world. I'd tried 6 different GPS programs, all which had worked on the 8830. Called USCC tech support and was told they couldn't help me over the phone and to take it in to the local shop. the local shop guy gave me a funny look and said "We can't fix these but let me take a look". I found out he had otterbox envy. He referred me to the RIM 800 # but that only wanted my credit card to talk to me so I called USCC BtoB support and within one minute I now have a new Curve on it's way overnight.
    07-30-08 02:33 PM
    Quite similar experience...this is my second Curve with USC. The first one would not do anything regarding GPS. This one will acquire a satellite lock and plot where I am on the map. It even shows me moving and what mph I am going. It will tell me where I need to go, in a mapquest type manner but it will NOT plot the course on the map. So, I can see where I am going and know I am in the right direction only if I switch back and forth between the map and the directions. For that, I may as well print the stuff out at home.
    07-30-08 03:03 PM
    What app are you using?
    07-30-08 03:44 PM
    BB Maps...
    07-30-08 09:21 PM
    I don't know if this has been answered fully or now.

I'm USCC with a curve.

Att curve is not the same GSM vs CDMA

Google maps is the best program.

Open the program standing outside or in car give it 5 to 10 minutes to warm up
    Meaning find you

After that first start up the GPS will lock fast

This is the same proccess you'll deal with every trip.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-08 09:54 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD