Oh Blackberry gods of the universe, I come to you as your humble but loyal user.

I'm trying to build a 3d map of my property. My desktop software will take a comma delimited file and build it for me. My Storm tells me it can let me know where I am. And I'm sure you know, it can't. Does anyone know of any software that will take a reading, write it to a file and then let me email the file out? I figure I can walk my yard and take a reading every 5 yards and build a very accurate map.

Thanks
    05-17-09 05:40 PM
    well considering the closest i've seen the GPS get to me is 3 meters, idk if this will work for ya. if you're on a 100 x 100 acre property, maybe...

why not use google earth for coordinates and imaging, and then somehow extract that into your map?
    Last edited by patches152; 05-17-09 at 05:43 PM. Reason: slow brain today
    05-17-09 05:43 PM
    Might be easier to find a topographical map of your area. There is a good chance your municipality or county offices would have that, or be able to tell you where to find it.

As patches mentions, you can get the GPS data from google earth, but it won't have exact property lines. Your municipality should have surveys on file showing exact property lines as well, and they will often include GPS coordinates if taken within the past few years as most survey companies now use enhanced GPS.
    05-17-09 05:49 PM
    The only way to find out if it will work is to try it for yourself. In theory you might get the horizontal coordinates with sufficient accuracy, but height is notoriously imprecise on most GPS positions.

You should find what you need in http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/
    05-17-09 05:51 PM
    Check out gpsed.com. Just a place to start.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 07:16 PM
    The accepted accuracy of non-differential GPS is +/- 3 meters or 10 feet horizontally and +/- twice that vertically.
    So no, you will not get a very accurate map.
    05-17-09 07:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD