I'm quickly learning how to make good use of this thing (9700), thanks to the patient advice of you all - thanks.

I've got the limited AT&T data plan (200 MB per month). I have heard that Google maps use a ton of data, and so it is best to only use if you have unlimited data. I haven't had the need for it yet anyway, and I'm okay with that.

However, I'd like to use Poynt, and understand it uses Blackberry maps (which I have no interest in subscribing to). So, my questions are:

1. I know Poynt will use the far less accurate cell tower locating if GPS is not available. Does it work this way if GPS has not been set up?

2. If Poynt does use the Blackberry maps without it being set up (don't even know if this could happen) would it cost me anything?

3. I had heard that the locator function could not be turned off with Poynt. I would probably not use it that much anyway, if it could be shut off. Is it true that it cannot be disabled?

4. How much data does Google maps really use? If it were used 3 or 4 times a month, would that use half my 200 MB?

Thanks everyone. You guys are great.
    10-04-10 12:51 PM
    Heya. I can answer a few of your questions.

1- If you have GPS turned on (options > advanced options > GPS > GPS Servcices = Location On), then Poynt will use GPS. If you have it turned off, Poynt will say "GPS Access Denied" at the top and revert to cell towers for location.

2- BB Maps is a free app. AT&T blocks it to coerce it's customers to subscribe to their Map app. If you were able to access BB Maps from Poynt, which I doubt you can, it shouldn't cost you anything (except a small amount of data).

3- There is not a setting in Poynt to turn off the location feature.

No clue how much data GMaps uses.
    10-04-10 01:12 PM
    GMaps will burn up you data big time. I played with it a couple of nights ago but connected to WiFi at the time luckily! Used Mobile Data Alerter to check results.
    10-04-10 04:22 PM
    I can wait on Google maps. Don't know that it will get that much more efficient over time, but at some point, I might have a larger data plan.

Thanks for the info, Spiral. I'll give Poynt a try.
    10-04-10 06:40 PM
    I can't believe AT&T blocks GMaps.

T-Mobile FTW.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-10 06:54 PM
    I can't believe AT&T blocks GMaps.

T-Mobile FTW.

They don't block GMaps, they block BBMaps. The OP doesn't want to use GMaps due to their limited data plan and the fact that GMaps is a data hog.

I will agree T-Mobile and our unlimited (10gb) data plans rock!
    10-04-10 07:09 PM
    I'm quickly learning how to make good use of this thing (9700), thanks to the patient advice of you all - thanks.

I've got the limited AT&T data plan (200 MB per month). I have heard that Google maps use a ton of data, and so it is best to only use if you have unlimited data. I haven't had the need for it yet anyway, and I'm okay with that.

However, I'd like to use Poynt, and understand it uses Blackberry maps (which I have no interest in subscribing to). So, my questions are:

1. I know Poynt will use the far less accurate cell tower locating if GPS is not available. Does it work this way if GPS has not been set up?

2. If Poynt does use the Blackberry maps without it being set up (don't even know if this could happen) would it cost me anything?

3. I had heard that the locator function could not be turned off with Poynt. I would probably not use it that much anyway, if it could be shut off. Is it true that it cannot be disabled?

4. How much data does Google maps really use? If it were used 3 or 4 times a month, would that use half my 200 MB?

Thanks everyone. You guys are great.
    BBMaps shouldn't be blocked. I don't agree on it being blocked at all. This makes us crackberry users upset. Stick with poynt and you should be okay.

10-04-10 08:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD