Is there a cost to use the GPS on ATT? I just got the 8900 and the guy said it came with 30 days free of the GPS. I asked him if I could use the gps with google maps after the trial period and he said I would have to pay per use if I did. Is this true?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-09 05:05 PM
    You must have a data plan to get GoogleMaps... the GPS works with or without a data plan... and that is receiving signals from satellites, not transmitting data... don't know how AT&T could charge you for that.
    07-12-09 05:21 PM
    Like as stated above you need the data plan although the phone does have gps installed already it still uses data. As for the 30 day gig he was probably talking about telenav which I belive is free for 30 day's and then 9.95 a month after that.
    07-12-09 06:47 PM
    When I got my 8900 the sales associate told me I would need to subscribe to telenan to get the GPS to work. I did not subscribe to telenav and just use google maps but I do have the data plan.
    Some users have used 3rd party apps that store maps on the SD card.
    Last edited by zwood; 07-12-09 at 07:05 PM.
    07-12-09 07:02 PM
    Ah ok. Yeah I have the unlimited data. Thanks

07-12-09 07:32 PM
    Ah ok. Yeah I have the unlimited data. Thanks

Then you don't have anything to worry about with GPS or GoogleMaps.
    07-12-09 07:48 PM
    There's a free GPS app on app world for t-mobile. I use it it's pretty good, it's called Gokivo Navigator.
    07-12-09 08:53 PM
    I use amAze. havn't heard of gokivo
    07-12-09 09:54 PM
    There's a free GPS app on app world for t-mobile. I use it it's pretty good, it's called Gokivo Navigator.
    Yep, gokivo is an awesome app. I love it personally. Also check out nav4all, amaze, and telmap.

They all work very well from what I've heard.
    Data required tho.

07-12-09 10:22 PM
    Yep, gokivo is an awesome app. I love it personally. Also check out nav4all, amaze, and telmap.

They all work very well from what I've heard.
    Data required tho.

thanks i'll check them out
    07-12-09 10:29 PM
    I have data plan, and have GoogleMaps, but the GPS still doesnt work.
    Google displays an "appx" location, using cell towers, not actual GPS.

If I go to Advanced Options, to GPS,
    GPS Data Source: Device GPS
    GPS Data Services: Location ON
    GPS Location:
    (then all the coordinates are 0.00)
    Location Aiding: Enabled

use menu key to "refresh GPS" and it errors: "GPS location failed" or under GPS Location, it says "scanning for Satellites", but never does anything, and eventually all the coordinates go back to 0.00
    07-13-09 03:16 AM
    You need to search for satellites while you are outside with a clear view of the sky and no obstructions. It may take up to 10 minutes or so to get a signal but it could also take just a minute or so. Try both with Location Aiding on and off.
    07-13-09 01:05 PM
    You need to search for satellites while you are outside with a clear view of the sky and no obstructions. It may take up to 10 minutes or so to get a signal but it could also take just a minute or so. Try both with Location Aiding on and off.
    thank you. I'll try it.
    07-17-09 03:21 AM
    you were right. It took about 60 seconds.
    07-17-09 05:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD