I do not have the bold 9700 yet, i would like to ask abou the GPS on it.

Is the GPS function free?

I do not understand between AGPS and GPS?

Thank you guys.
    01-12-10 11:19 PM
    yes the gps function is free... however navigation apps cost money if you want turn by turn directions

GPS uses the gps chip to get your location with the satellites

a gps is assisted gps which also uses cell towers to triangle your position making it get it faster
    01-12-10 11:43 PM
    Yes, it is.
    But in my case, I cannot use GPS via satellite to find my location. All parameters are "0". I don't know why, though I've already set "GPS Service: Location On". Pls help me!

Thank you in advance!
    01-13-10 12:25 AM
    thanks,
    so i understand that the GPS (Maps) is free. But if i want a navigation, like who follows my direction and bring me to another position, then it will cost me or need a service plan right?
    01-13-10 07:26 AM
    thanks,
    so i understand that the GPS (Maps) is free. But if i want a navigation, like who follows my direction and bring me to another position, then it will cost me or need a service plan right?
    Use Google Maps. It gives turn by turn directions and is free.
    01-13-10 07:38 AM
    Google Maps is indeed free, but it will use data so you need to see if it's covered by the plan you're using
    01-13-10 07:47 AM
    Google maps is awesome! <3

The build in 'map program' will make use of the GPS too, but if the truth be told, its ****e! (currently trying to figure out how to uninstall it)

There is also another 'tom tom' type program thats free at the moment because its in Beta testing. Only problem with that is that you agree to answer questions by phone to provide feedback, and you also agree that they can monitor where you use it :S

With my Bold I got a 30day trial to one, but in fairness it was quite slow, not sure if the BB's processor can really cope with it....

But google map is brilliant, quick and complete
    01-13-10 08:12 AM
    Check out Telmap Navigator...they have a free BETA with turn-x-turn VOICE gps.

Complete the registration and you will receive a download link....it works great, I use it quite often just to test it out on my normal drives around town...works with no issues. Use the 8900 as your device as it doesn't list the 9700.

http://global.telmap.com/tugpcbeta/registrationform.asp

I signed up for this last night and used it around town. It works very well and from what I'm told, is free as long as you stay in the program. It appears to be from the UK but you can set the options to be in miles instead of kilometers, etc. and it works well. You do get a British gal giving you directions though....not bad either
    01-13-10 09:37 AM
    I signed up for this last night and used it around town. It works very well and from what I'm told, is free as long as you stay in the program. It appears to be from the UK but you can set the options to be in miles instead of kilometers, etc. and it works well. You do get a British gal giving you directions though....not bad either
    The UK uses miles not kilometres, that'd be continental Europe etc.
    01-13-10 11:02 AM
    Yes, it is.
    But in my case, I cannot use GPS via satellite to find my location. All parameters are "0". I don't know why, though I've already set "GPS Service: Location On". Pls help me!

Thank you in advance!
    The GPS screen retains it's last "fix". When you are in that screen, hit the Menu button and then Refreh GPS. If you are in clear view of the sky, this should fill in all the fields.

Hope it helps.
    01-13-10 11:10 AM
    Google maps is awesome! <3

The build in 'map program' will make use of the GPS too, but if the truth be told, its ****e! (currently trying to figure out how to uninstall it)

There is also another 'tom tom' type program thats free at the moment because its in Beta testing. Only problem with that is that you agree to answer questions by phone to provide feedback, and you also agree that they can monitor where you use it :S

With my Bold I got a 30day trial to one, but in fairness it was quite slow, not sure if the BB's processor can really cope with it....

But google map is brilliant, quick and complete
    I just used the Maps GPS while on a road trip this past weekend and it works perfectly fine. Gave accurate directions, maps loaded quickly. No issues.
    01-13-10 12:01 PM
    The GPS screen retains it's last "fix". When you are in that screen, hit the Menu button and then Refreh GPS. If you are in clear view of the sky, this should fill in all the fields.

Hope it helps.
    Thanks for your response. But it didn't work.

P/s: I tried with a Bold 9000 at the same place and same time, and it's OK.
    01-14-10 01:14 AM
    Yes, it is.

Thank you in advance!
    What can probably explain your problem is your carrier. Vodafone and Verizon are in a Mobile Networks Partnership, which would explain why you cannot access your GPS. It is well known that VZW disables the GPS on your device in hopes of squeezing more money out of you to pay for it's "Navigator" software instead. Very typical of those greedy f^<ks!!
    01-14-10 03:08 AM
    First of all, topicstarter, you have to wait a long time before the GPS can locate the phone. Go the options>advanced options> gps and refresh the gps location. Then, if you are outside, wait like 5-10 minutes and it will locate. If you are inside, dont mind at all because it wont work.

So, the GPS on the 9700 is very poor. This is one of the cons of the 9700. I have seen a friend use the GPS on the iPhone, next to mine 9700, and he instantly got his location, while mine 9700 couldnt do anything, since we were inside my house.
    The long waiting before it gets its location is very annoying and really a downside of the 9700.
    01-14-10 03:18 AM
    depends, I think if you have a good wifi connection then the wifi can assist the GPS locate faster.

At my home when connected to my Wifi google maps will find me instantly. Takes a bit longer when I'm at work where I have no wifi and a poor phone signal.
    01-14-10 07:43 AM
    I just used the Maps GPS while on a road trip this past weekend and it works perfectly fine. Gave accurate directions, maps loaded quickly. No issues.
    Do you mean BB Maps, the one that comes with it?

yea, it works.. but the maps on google maps I find much clearer, sharper and faster. Not only that you can put a wikipedia overlay on and even go into photostyle overview, very impressive

Googlemaps also seemed to have much more information on things like local restraunts, shops, pubs, tourist attractions... great for when your in a strange town
    01-14-10 07:58 AM
    Thanks for your response. But it didn't work.

P/s: I tried with a Bold 9000 at the same place and same time, and it's OK.
    Sorry to hear that.

Are you doing options>Advanced Options>GPS and then then "Refreh GPS"? Does it atleast say "searching" when you do that?

It maybe a faulty GPS in your unit, can you get your 9700 replaced?

Good luck.
    01-14-10 08:38 AM
    First of all, topicstarter, you have to wait a long time before the GPS can locate the phone. Go the options>advanced options> gps and refresh the gps location. Then, if you are outside, wait like 5-10 minutes and it will locate. If you are inside, dont mind at all because it wont work.
    So, the GPS on the 9700 is very poor. This is one of the cons of the 9700. I have seen a friend use the GPS on the iPhone, next to mine 9700, and he instantly got his location, while mine 9700 couldnt do anything, since we were inside my house.
    The long waiting before it gets its location is very annoying and really a downside of the 9700.
    I am rather surprised at this, are you sure the GPS on your device is not faulty?

The GPS gets a lock very quickly on mine whether I am using Google Maps or the GPS location, around 30 secs or so. Not only that the accuracy, generally within 6-10 m, is better than the GPS on my friend's iPhone and my Treo Pro.
    01-14-10 08:43 AM

I think there may be some problem with the phone... I had an iPhone 3GS and while the GPS worked fine outside, it did not work many places where my 9700 indoors. My 9700's GPS works in many buldings, including my two story office building (I sit on the ground floor) and in every vehicle I've driven. I have never waited more than a minute for a lock, even indoors. (I'm not talking about AGPS... true GPS).
    01-14-10 09:35 AM
    The best way to assure GPS function in any blackberry from the outset is to install your carrier's version of TELENAV or whatever GPS map system they are pushing then decline the terms and conditions during the setup (or accept and remember to cancel it when the grace period is almost over). THe assures that your phone has the correct setup and permissions for all of your GPS enabled programs to have a fighting chance.
    01-14-10 09:38 AM

I disagree. I refreshed GPS from my basement and it worked no problem.

Also, Poynt finds my GPS location with no problems from anywhere I have tried it.
    01-14-10 10:42 AM
    Sorry to hear that.

Are you doing options>Advanced Options>GPS and then then "Refreh GPS"? Does it atleast say "searching" when you do that?

It maybe a faulty GPS in your unit, can you get your 9700 replaced?

Good luck.
    Actually "scanning for Satellites", not "searching".
    01-18-10 04:36 AM
    Are you guys kidding me?
    Is my gps receiver broken? ...
    What software do you guys use?
    If i go to options - advanced - gps and refresh, it takes usually like 5 min before it locks,
    So this isnt normal?
    Any suggestions on how to improve or check wether it's really broken or not?
    This suxxx...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-10 05:50 AM
    Actually "scanning for Satellites", not "searching".
    Oops yes you are right it's "scanning". :O.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-10 06:18 AM
    Does anyone know if the 9700 has a function to locate itself using wireless routers or transmitter towers, cant remember which it is. I have a HTC Hero which uses this function when GPS isn't available.
    01-18-10 07:28 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD