I've been trying to scan through the range of options for a good GPS to use on my Bold and I really like the Garmin but it's $100 CAN to purchase a license for/ Just wondering if anyone has any good experience with any other GPS? Or if it is worth paying the $100 for the Garmin.

Any insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    12-18-08 11:08 AM
    I had garmin xt for my nokia devices and it was always spot on accurate. So if you have the cash, I would recommend it. They have a 7-day trial, so give it a try.

I just use google maps and you can try amaze...they are gps apps and are located in this community somewhere
    12-18-08 11:13 AM
    i just use google maps, i don't need turn by turn, i just follow the purple line
    12-18-08 11:13 AM
    I have the trial installed along with Google Maps and a few others but I think Garmin is the best.

I like that they have a bunch of features like finding food places, hotels and etc.
    12-18-08 11:29 AM
    see i don't need all that, so i stick with google maps
    12-18-08 11:34 AM
    Lol understandable, thanks I think I might purchase the Garmin after the trial is up.
    12-18-08 12:08 PM
    enjoy your bold!
    12-18-08 12:34 PM
    aMazeGPS. Free and excellent! Even has hybrid map veiw (satelite plus lines for roads). and has turn by turn (-minus the street names.)
    12-18-08 02:35 PM
    I have never used Garmin, but I would say aMaze is pretty sweet. Also if you didn't like that try Nav4All. That was pretty sweet too. Both aMaze and Nav4All have POI as well.
    12-18-08 04:36 PM
    I just bought the Garmin for $79 (US) yesterday after having tried the 7 day trial about 3 weeks ago. I've tried Blackberry Maps, Google Maps, Yahoo Maps, AmazeGPS, Yellowpages.com, Poynt, etc. Garmin hands down beats them all. It always is quick, finds my location relatively efficiently, screen is easy to see day or night, it auto zooms depending on your speed, you can use either the Bold's internal GPS chip, or with an external GPS ( I bought a Bluetooth SIRF3 chipset device that just sits on the dash, and picks up signals much faster than the Bold's, or my BlackJack2's ).

Plus, there's a really cool feature they don't really advertise, but when you purchase the software, they give you an account on their site ( my.garmin.com ), where you can create waypoints ( "grandma's house", "work", etc ), then from your phone, they show up as "favorites" you can navigate to. It's a really handy feature if you're planning on taking a trip somewhere, and want to set all that up beforehand.

Just do a google search for the Garmin discount. I actually found a link for it being 20% off that's purchasable directly thru Garmin.

Good luck with whatever you choose, but you won't be disappointed with the Garmin software.
    Last edited by eazymac; 12-18-08 at 06:00 PM.
    12-18-08 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD