This is not a technical question about GPS so much so as a billing question.

I have an 8130 with Bell Mobility's unlimited email and data plan. I have Google Maps, BB Maps, amAze and the 30-day trial version of Garmin Mobile. I extensively use the browser (I've bookmarked ESPN, CNNSI and MLB) and Moodio (I have set ESPN Radio as a station to listen to) whenever I'm on the train, just to keep me occupied. I also have The Weather Network's WeatherEye so I can see the weather forecast from my BB home screen. I live in Calgary, Alberta, and I've used all the GPS programs extensively for within-the-city travel, both while I'm on the train (Google Maps displays my location as a moving blue dot) and as a directional aid when going from place A to place B.

When my bill comes I can see the amount of data (in Mb) that I processed for that month, but since I am on the unlimited plan the per unit cost is $0.00, so the total cost based on usage is $0.00. I just pay the flat fee.

Now for my question. My family and I are driving to Utah for a vacation this coming mid-August. I was thinking of using amAze or Garmin Mobile to guide us to our intended location, as well as use the various Search features to locate places to go to and things to see (Garmin Mobile is very strong here). When I start using my BB and it's GPS programs in Montana and Utah (driving south), will my billing change, now that I am (I believe) outside of the local calling area? Do roaming charges come into play? One thing I am positive of is that I will not use my BB to make any cell phone calls to anywhere while I am in the US. It's use (from a data streaming standpoint) will be purely as a GPS, a browser, a weather forecaster and a radio player.

For the moment I don't want to ask Bell about this, as I'd like to know what other persons think.

Thank you.

Elrohir59
    08-07-08 06:21 PM
    You had better call your carrier and determine if DATA usage in the USA is charged differently or at all than in Canada.

Be aware that in some more remote areas of the US such as Utah and probably Montana you might NOT be able to get any cell phone or DATA service. The Garmin program has the maps on an SD card so you would not need data, I believe.
    08-07-08 11:10 PM
    The Garmin program has the maps on an SD card so you would not need data, I believe.
    Not for the blackberry. This is how Garmin is on some other smartphones though.
    08-08-08 12:42 PM
    Have you found any free GPS maps (like Google) with spoken turn by turn directions? I thought I'd never pay for Telenav, but I utilize the spoken directions so much I don't know another solution.

MG
    08-17-08 09:39 PM
    nav4all does voice turn by turn directions and its free. i still prefer the look and usability of google maps though.
    08-17-08 10:30 PM
    I remember putting nav4all through the paces when I first got my BB. It lost to Telenav even though Telenav costs $10 per month but I don't remember exactly why. Local directories maybe?

MG

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-08 07:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD