Hi all,
    Telus has acknowledged that they can't get the Tour / Telus Navigator to work. They say it's some issue between Telus and RIM.
    The thread I posted about this is at: http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/to...-telus-284497/
    Yesterday Telus offered me a $250 credit to go and buy a separate GPS unit. While the gesture is ok, as I travel frequently and used to use the GPS on my old Curve a lot, I would rather have something that works with my Tour.
    My question is is there another GPS app. that will work with my Tour / Telus?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Gary
    09-18-09 02:57 PM
    Have you tried google maps?
    09-18-09 03:31 PM
    Yes I have. However I like the voice/ turn by turn, etc.
    09-18-09 03:42 PM
    Garmin and TeleNav both have programs that work, but I've tried both and wasn't overly impressed with either.
    09-18-09 06:10 PM
    Garmin and TeleNav both have programs that work, but I've tried both and wasn't overly impressed with either.
    May I ask why you did not like the Garmin product? I guess I should try it out (if I can find the trial version).
    09-18-09 08:49 PM
    BlackBerry Maps won't even work? That's all I ever use.
    09-18-09 09:00 PM
    May I ask why you did not like the Garmin product? I guess I should try it out (if I can find the trial version).
    I actually have a dedicated Garmin unit and in all honesty, it might not be that I didn't like Garmin so much as I don't like it on the Tour. It is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to do anything other than the original route you planned with either of them. Trying to route around things on the fly is difficult mainly because of the small screen, small type, and no push screen. Trying to use the trackball to zone in on an option while trying to drive = very dangerous. At least for me it is (and I consider myself to be a good driver...this is outside my comfort level for sure...right up there with texting and driving).

There should be a free 7-day trial for Garmin, and 30 days (or sometimes 15) for TeleNav. TeleNav is a monthly pay solution...Garmin is a one-time purchase ($100).
    09-18-09 09:30 PM
    BlackBerry Maps won't even work? That's all I ever use.
    I think the OP is looking for an app that will announce turns and street names, which BB Maps doesn't do.
    09-18-09 09:31 PM
    09-18-09 10:20 PM
    I actually have a dedicated Garmin unit and in all honesty, it might not be that I didn't like Garmin so much as I don't like it on the Tour. It is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to do anything other than the original route you planned with either of them. Trying to route around things on the fly is difficult mainly because of the small screen, small type, and no push screen. Trying to use the trackball to zone in on an option while trying to drive = very dangerous. At least for me it is (and I consider myself to be a good driver...this is outside my comfort level for sure...right up there with texting and driving).

There should be a free 7-day trial for Garmin, and 30 days (or sometimes 15) for TeleNav. TeleNav is a monthly pay solution...Garmin is a one-time purchase ($100).
    Thanks for the full explanation. I have a standalone TomTom. I would tend to agree about screen size. Ease of use on the move would be a problem. I am thinking about it as a "one unit does all" kind of thing as I generally only take the TomTom when I plan to need it. I wrote in another thread it was terrific in Europe in June. The one-device-for-all clearly is a compromise.

By the way, through the BB Lounge you can purchase the Garmin for $79.
    09-19-09 12:23 AM
    sorry to hear of the issue, Odd though, it works great with Bell, and we share networks with Telus.
    Live search has a decent gps app, doesnt give turn by turn and its a little finiky dealing with Canada but it works and its free. There are others out there and of course you gotta pay, though risky when you cant tell if the GPS even works in the phone. Try some free ones first and if they work, your good to go.
    09-19-09 12:28 PM
    Thanks for the full explanation. I have a standalone TomTom. I would tend to agree about screen size. Ease of use on the move would be a problem. I am thinking about it as a "one unit does all" kind of thing as I generally only take the TomTom when I plan to need it. I wrote in another thread it was terrific in Europe in June. The one-device-for-all clearly is a compromise.

By the way, through the BB Lounge you can purchase the Garmin for $79.
    I'm also anxious for an all-in-one solution as I always have my BB with me and it's always charged, or I planned ahead (have a charger with me or an extra battery). I've been places where I didn't think I would need dedicated GPS and really wished I had something on my BB to fill the void. I am waiting a bit...I'm very intrigued by the Storm 2, and I think GPS on BB would work far better with a push screen. I would pay for Garmin if it works as I think it would on a push screen device, just to know I have it when I need it.

The other thing about GPS on the BB to keep in mind, however, is that you must be in a data location to use it. This can be VERY frustrating...if you aren't where you can get data you aren't going to get directions. And even worse...if you ARE where you can get data and get directions, but then get diverted off those original directions and then aren't in a data area, you won't get rerouted. The stand alone GPS does not have this issue at all.

I hope one of the GPS leaders (Garmin or TomTom) tries to come up with a solution where you can install maps on the SD card to get around this data issue. There was such a solution for Palm from TomTom.
    09-20-09 10:46 AM
    If you're out in the most remote regions of the earth where humans dare not tread, it would be prudent to keep a paper map and compass on standby. I don't think it would be wise to put your life in the hands of any kind of communications technology.

If you're just on a road trip and lose both your way and your data signal, find a human and ask for directions. Or just bust out the $4.95 Rand McNally.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by dchawk81; 09-20-09 at 11:05 AM.
    09-20-09 11:02 AM
    Yup, data is essential to the way most of the PHONE-based gps software works. There are some do it yourself solutions but you need to create the maps in advance. Garmin initially offered such a solution for the BB - maps on an SD card but have moved away from it.

Yes, paper maps can be necessary.
    09-20-09 09:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD