Hello all!
    I am so torn on what to do at this point re: the crappy GPS on my Blackberry Curve 8530 with Verizon.

Alright, so I have always switched phones a lot, but end up coming back to Blackberries usually.

The one thing though that is driving me crazy about my BB Curve 8530 is the fact that the GPS is always MAJORLY off.

When I open Google Maps, my location is always off at least a few miles from where I am. As someone who is prone to getting lost, I need GPS capabilities.

Now I know not to expect the Google Maps navigation that I had on my old Droid, but good old text based directions are essentially useless because the starting point is so far off from where I actually am.

And worse, there is no way to refresh or MAKE THE PHONE UNDERSTAND that I am not in that spot.

I've thought about trying BB Maps, but every time I open it, it takes like 5 minutes to render the maps before I can even do anything. Plus, as I understand it, its not as full featured as Google Maps.

AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG? Is there some setting somewhere that I forgot to switch? Is it maybe only pulling my GPS from towers, not the GPS in the phone? Is this just something us BB users have to deal with?

I keep thinking it has to be user error because it has a presumably similar GPS chip as my Droid had, yet my Droid was accurate on where I was to 10 feet. Even when I was driving and moving around a lot.
    03-02-10 08:09 AM
    It appears the 8530 may use the same GPS chip as the 8x30 devices. That chip requires Verizon to provide a ground-based signal to enable it. So far, Verizon has only enabled the GPS for BBMaps and Bing on the 8x30 devices. That may be what you are experiencing. Here's another, similar thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f143/gps-locked-389879/. The 9530 and 9630 use an autonomous GPS chip that does not require a signal from Verizon. Those devices work with all 3rd party GPS apps.
    03-02-10 10:51 AM
    Use Bing Mobile, its pretty good anyways

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-10 11:05 AM
    I pay for the VZ Navigator monthly and it is so well worth the money. It is updated all the time. I used it the other day to go to a meeting downtown and the gal I had car pooled with also used her maps on her iphone. The Navigation was a lot better and more accurate and she was also impressed. Glad I have it because I don't like BB maps or Google maps
    03-02-10 11:15 AM
    This is a known issue with Google Maps. Only a software revision will fix it. Last I heard the ETA was unknown.
    03-06-10 07:30 AM
    I was in a train lately. Manage to inform the other party where i am
    03-06-10 11:09 AM
    Approximately 800m radius with postcode/ zip code sure do. But accuracy is not as good as Garmin GPS with 4m-10 m accuracy.
    03-06-10 11:10 AM
    Google Maps for Blackberry locates by cell towers and NOT the internal GPS. this is why it's horrible for mapping. I don't know WHY they released it with only that feature possible. I know exactly what you mean. It has a beautiful interface and the street views are great if they would allow the internal gps to be the main. I have it but never use it because i'm waiting for a update.

Time will tell.
    03-06-10 10:29 PM
    Bing works well can almost tell what room I'm in when in a building

03-07-10 12:49 AM
    My gps does not work on bing either. Its turned on and enabled ect. 8530 Alltel.

03-07-10 07:19 AM
    My bb maps is horribly off also. If I use Smrtguard to track my phone it shows me off the coast of Africa. A far cry from Parma , Ohio!!!
    03-07-10 07:35 AM
    I have no problems with my Sprint 8530, with Sprint's Nav thing. The only thing I wish it had a warning before you get to the street, like in 50m or what have you not the 1/2 mile warning. But maybe Bing works better, I'll try that one out.

Also the Sprint Nav tells me to go weird ways to get to the highway when I know the shortest route already, after I get about 3/4 of the way to the highway it finally gets on track with it.
    03-07-10 08:07 AM
    Google maps not working right on mine, uses cell tower and not GPS
    But BB Maps works great with GPS even inside the house here.

Tim
    03-07-10 05:00 PM
    Google maps not working right on mine, uses cell tower and not GPS
    But BB Maps works great with GPS even inside the house here.

Tim
    i agree 100%.

my BB Maps finds me almost instantly. Google Maps is HORRIBLE. I read somewhere that some carriers don't allow third parties to use the GPS. hmmm.. i'm on Verizon.
    03-07-10 07:22 PM
    Stick with BB Maps; I also use VZ Nav and I'm really starting to like it a lot more especially since it's been updated recently. Also, I can turn off my network radio and WIFI for extra measure and my BB Maps works fine. I also have a GPS app from Blackstar and it works fine with my Curve 8530.
    03-11-10 06:25 PM
    If you turn off your radio and your wifi, how is BBmaps getting the data to update its map as you move? I can understand it working while you are stationary, but moving?
    03-11-10 07:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD