Is there any gps application that you can download and transfer to your blackberry via pc and that is free....only onei know of is amaze gpz but its not working on my curve 8330
    07-28-08 09:37 PM
    Google Maps, Nav4All, BBMaps, and GPSed are all free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-08 11:44 PM
    Does Nav4all give audible directions also?

Rochelle
    07-29-08 10:29 PM
    windows live search is a nice app as well
    07-29-08 10:38 PM
    Does Nav4all give audible directions also?

Rochelle
    Yes, as does amaZeGps.
    07-29-08 11:16 PM
    I second windows LiveSearch - its great!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-08 12:47 AM
    Hey, does LiveSearch give audible driving directions? Are there any other GPS apps that give audible turn-by-turn directions that folks would recommend?
    07-30-08 06:11 PM
    Hey, does LiveSearch give audible driving directions? Are there any other GPS apps that give audible turn-by-turn directions that folks would recommend?
    LiveSearch does not. Nav4all and AmazeGPS do. Try them both and see which one you like.
    07-30-08 06:55 PM
    LiveSearch does not. Nav4all and AmazeGPS do. Try them both and see which one you like.
    Thanks!

AmazeGPS has issues with the sound files - each direction only gets out a syllable or two, then cuts off. There's a ticket in with customer service; hopefully they'll have it fixed soon

Tried loading Nav4All. For some reason it couldn't find/recognize my puck. So I removed the application. But, in hindsight, maybe I needed to open BB Maps first, per the "Verizon 8330 + External GPS" thread.

So I'm gonna try reinstalling the app & see if I can get it to work.

***Using i-Blue 737 Bluetooth GPS Receiver with OS 4.5.0.51***
    07-31-08 10:27 PM
    Did you try selecting LAPI advanced under Settings----> Set up GPS in Nav4all? That's how it works on my 8320.
    08-01-08 11:00 AM
    i'm a big fan of Nav4All. I previously used AmazeGPS and while it worked well and gave audible directions, it was very slow to load. Nav4All boots up extremely quick, and has all the options Amaze did plus more. Audible directions, as well as other bonus featues like "remember my parking location" for when you go to those big malls and lose your car
    08-01-08 02:53 PM
    I think I'll try Nav4All.
    ��
    ��=8'} *hick*

Hopefully I'll be able to find my favorite bar.
    LoL
    08-01-08 03:12 PM
    Nav4All is great.. I had no idea it existed.
    08-02-08 01:19 AM
    Did you try selecting LAPI advanced under Settings----> Set up GPS in Nav4all? That's how it works on my 8320.
    Thanks again - that was precisely what needed to be done.

Subsequently, the folks behind AmazeGPS released a "tentative" fix for their sound files. So I have Nav4All and AmazeGPS downloaded on my 8330. Guess I'll put them both to the test tomorrow
    08-02-08 10:22 PM
    I tried the fix for the 8330. It wiorked better but not 100%. You'd still better know where to make your turns. vbg

Beeray
    08-02-08 10:46 PM
    Does anyone know what the Gps tracking option does in Live search?
    08-03-08 09:18 AM
    Thanks again - that was precisely what needed to be done.

Subsequently, the folks behind AmazeGPS released a "tentative" fix for their sound files. So I have Nav4All and AmazeGPS downloaded on my 8330. Guess I'll put them both to the test tomorrow
    Great, let me know how it worked. Amaze GPS has a nice interface, but entering the data is more painful.
    08-03-08 09:19 AM
    I tried the fix for the 8330. It wiorked better but not 100%. You'd still better know where to make your turns. vbg

Beeray
    Great, let me know how it worked. Amaze GPS has a nice interface, but entering the data is more painful.
    Well, I concur with Beeray: the fix that they provided is substantially better. But it still falls short. You do get whole phrases (i.e. previously you got "In" but now you get "In 500[ft.] turn."). The main trouble is that while it will tell you to "Turn" it doesn't tell you whether to "Turn Right" or "Turn Left." So you have to glance at the map/arrows when prompted in order to know which way to turn. I updated customer service with that a few minutes ago. I'll let you know what I hear.

Additionally, I experience a very similar sound problem with Nav4All. Has anyone else experienced problems with the sound on this app? Curious to know whether it may be related to the OS (I'm using 4.5). So... anybody using Nav4All with OS 4.3 experiencing a similar issue? If not, I can send something to their techs & ask them to focus on OS 4.5....
    08-04-08 10:57 AM
    I downloaded Nav4All on my 8310 (OS 4.5), a couple days ago.
    The first time I used it, the sound volume was low and hard to understand. But after that it sounded ok. No idea why, I didn't make any changes. I'll be using it later today, so we'll see what happens.
    08-20-08 09:37 AM
    Well, I concur with Beeray: the fix that they provided is substantially better. But it still falls short. You do get whole phrases (i.e. previously you got "In" but now you get "In 500[ft.] turn."). The main trouble is that while it will tell you to "Turn" it doesn't tell you whether to "Turn Right" or "Turn Left." So you have to glance at the map/arrows when prompted in order to know which way to turn. I updated customer service with that a few minutes ago. I'll let you know what I hear.

Additionally, I experience a very similar sound problem with Nav4All. Has anyone else experienced problems with the sound on this app? Curious to know whether it may be related to the OS (I'm using 4.5). So... anybody using Nav4All with OS 4.3 experiencing a similar issue? If not, I can send something to their techs & ask them to focus on OS 4.5....

I have a 8330 4.3 os and the fix offered by amaze actually took all sound away, im having the same prob with nav4all, I just cant seem to get any of these apps to work properly, im just so frustrated by all of this!!!!!
    08-27-08 08:09 PM
    Alright, folks - I'm throwing in the towel.

Nav4All seems like it's potential is slightly greater than that of amAzeGPS. The map/display, ease of data entry, and successful implementation of an "always-on" display definitely put this app ahead, IMO. Initially, that is. See, the audio didn't work at all. And this caused them to lose my interest in the end. Because their tech support sucks - I sent three separate tickets to them over the course of a month and got not a single reply.

amAze, however, employs a great tech support team - at least in terms of effort. Posts to their forums are answered in a reasonable timeframe. And, for a time, they were averaging updates every other week in an attempt to fix their audio problems. None of them was really close to being "on the money" except for 2. One was released in mid-July that apparently worked on the 8830 (OS 4.2); the other was released in mid-August. This 2nd one DID NOT work on the 8830, and also failed to work on the 8330 (in most cases) - but it somehow worked on MY 8330. I should add that the updated app itself was written specifically for an 8300 (their tech support does not have an 8830 or 8330 to test the app on directly), but amAZe stated that it applied to both models.

Going through the forums, I found that I was the only person who had marked success with the later update that I indicated. Here were the circumstances under which I installed it:

- downloaded to PC (BIS version) and installed via DM as opposed to OTA install
    - installed AFTER complete wipe of BB and AFTER installing beta OS 4.5.0.66

The PC download and 4.5.0.66 beta, I think, are key. Seems everyone else who tried either installed OTA or installed on a different OS (i.e. 4.3; 4.5.0.51). So that was my moment of fame. Only two vocal commands came out chopped ("Drive careful[ly]"; "Turn [left]"). But every other piece of audio came out completely & clearly ("In 500 feet, turn right"; "Turn Right"; "In a quarter mile, exit to the left"). I was content.

Being a beta addict, I was too happy when I finally managed to find 4.5.0.77 for the 8330. So I upgraded. It was worthwhile to me b/c this install helped my html e-mail situation - previous 4.5 betas gave only marginal success with the e-mails. With 4.5.0.77, when I select "Get Images," I finally get ALL of them; with the types of e-mails I get, this was very important.

I digress. I reinstalled amAze (via DM; same update that I had downloaded in mid-August). Works pretty much the same... except... NO AUDIO!! None whatsoever. Tried uninstalling with DM, then doing a battery pull, then reinstalling - no success. I have no idea what could have possibly changed between .66 and .77 that would have caused the audio to cut out entirely. Never encountered this with any previous OS/amAze combo.

I have hope & faith that amAze will figure it out eventually. However, my life has me visiting new towns pretty frequently. Which was why a reliable GPS was key. And I can't afford to wait around for Nav4All (ha! yeah, right) or amAze to get things back on track. I bit the bullet, and (yes, folks) paid for a GPS app. Garmin Mobile, to be precise. $99.99 for the life of your BB; I plan to have mine for two years, so that's less than half what I'd pay for VZNav and about $1 more than Mapquest GPS for the same duration). I'm willing to wait that long for amAze to produce a working FREE GPS that I can download for my Javelin.
    09-01-08 10:14 PM
    I am havin the same issue about not finding my puck. How do I set it up?

Thanx in advance...
    09-04-08 11:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD