I usually leave GPS turned off because it murders my battery. Unfortunately, that means when I go to use Poynt of Google Maps I have to go through the Advanced Options to turn on GPS, then go back to the app and have it search for my location, then get my info, then go back to advanced options and turn it off.

If I forget to turn it off...no battery.

As far as I know there's no "medium" setting for GPS, just on and off. Ie, I can't just have my Storm turn on GPS only when its requested and turn it immediately off.

Is there an app that I can have an icon for right next to Poynt and Google Maps that will just tap and toggle GPS on and off?
    05-11-09 12:02 PM
    that would be nice , i dont know of one tho.
    05-11-09 12:11 PM
    Great request. I would be interested in something like that also.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-09 12:31 PM
    Quick Launch might reduce a few steps. It's nice tool to have.
    Last edited by Geocache_AZ; 05-11-09 at 01:05 PM. Reason: type
    05-11-09 01:03 PM
    I have my gps always on
    05-11-09 01:17 PM
    I have my gps always on
    05-11-09 01:17 PM
    I have my gps always on

Same here, and my battery lasts me a couple of days with moderate use (I don't use the camera or play music on mine), mostly use it for calls and checking email all day long.

(Also, my Bluetooth is constantly on).

Perhaps the GPS based apps are running in the background?

Do you close them or just hit the End button to go to the main screen?
    If you do this, the app will keep running and therefore drain your battery.
    05-11-09 01:34 PM
    Same here, and my battery lasts me a couple of days with moderate use (I don't use the camera or play music on mine), mostly use it for calls and checking email all day long.

(Also, my Bluetooth is constantly on).

Perhaps the GPS based apps are running in the background?

Do you close them or just hit the End button to go to the main screen?
    If you do this, the app will keep running and therefore drain your battery.
    I close everything all the time. I have bluetooth off, GSM off, GPS off (outside of the instances I have described), my backlight is basically zero. I find that I generally make it about a solid day which is enough, but hardly "fantastic". Yesterday I left GPS on and my phone was dead by 6pm.

The only apps I use GPS with are Poynt and occasionally Google Maps.
    05-11-09 02:43 PM
    So is the app worth having if it drains so much battery when on?
    05-12-09 11:48 AM
    If you set the update interval longer on your GPS application the GPS will power itself off, and then power back on and reacquire when a new fix is requested. Of course if you have 3 GPS applications, each at an interval of 5 minutes, you may never leave the GPS alone long enough for it to hit the power down timeout.

I always have one GPS application running in the background (instaMapper), an interval of 5 minutes, and I consistently run at 4% per hour discharge.
    05-12-09 12:38 PM
    GPS doesn't drain battery unless an app is using it. You don't need a third party application to make it behave the way you want as it already does that out of the box.

Your problem is caused by an application querying the GPS way too often.

05-12-09 01:14 PM
    GPS doesn't drain battery unless an app is using it. You don't need a third party application to make it behave the way you want as it already does that out of the box.

Your problem is caused by an application querying the GPS way too often.

Are you sure about that? The way I see it is that as long as GPS is turned on, the hardware is getting power. So it would use some battery, but not as much as it would while the hardware is getting a signal. Kind of like a digital camera uses battery when on, and uses more when actually taking a picture.
    05-12-09 01:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD