I just got the BB Bold 9700 and was installing some apps, of one it was buddyguard. I wanted to test it out, so I tried the whole locate option, but each time it came back failed. I turned on the GPS, and refreshed. Not only does it take it forever to load up, it always comes back as 0. I called TMo and they did some troubleshoot. They claim that the phone may be defective, and I should return it. I haven't put the order through yet. I want to know if this is a common issue, before TMo ends up sending me a referb when I paid to get a brand new phone.

Thanks!
    06-03-10 07:48 AM
    I would say it is not a common issue. When testing the GPS initially, make sure you are outside in an open area as well as stationary. Use BBMaps first to really see what is going on. It will tell you how many satellites it can see.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-10 07:58 AM
    For GPS to work properly you must be outside with a good clear view of a large portion of the sky. This give the GPS receiver the best possible chance to get a lock on 2 or more satellites.

Get yourself in position and then go to Options, Advanced Options, Location Settings.

Set GPS Data Source to Device GPS
    Location Services to Location On
    Set Location Data to whatever you wish
    Set Location Aiding to to Enabled

Press Menu and select Refresh GPS. Now give it 5 to 10 minutes to get a good lock and you will see the Latitude and Longditude values change to your location.

That's it, done. If this works, then GPS is working.

If this does not work then there is most likely a problem with your device and you should have it replaced.
    06-03-10 07:59 AM
    personally I find that different OS builds respond to gps differently. I have .680 now and this thing just grabs a strong signal fast. Back when i had .351 and .442 it took a while to lock on
    06-03-10 09:08 AM
    personally I find that different OS builds respond to gps differently. I have .680 now and this thing just grabs a strong signal fast. Back when i had .351 and .442 it took a while to lock on
    That's true but they all get there in the end. The OP is having a problem getting GPS at all. That is why I laid down a test procedure that will guarantee a GPS fix regardless of OS and will prove one way or another if his phone is at fault.
    06-03-10 09:36 AM
    I did the GPS fix and it finally worked! Thanks.
    06-03-10 10:44 AM
    You should now be able to use BlackBerry or Google Maps and get down to about 10' resolution.
    06-03-10 10:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD