So I switched over from an iPhone 4 and one thing ive noticed with this device is that the GPS is always a few blocks off mean while my iphone 4 was always dead on is there some setting i have disabled which would give unaccurate readings or is this just how the Bold gps is?
    03-29-11 12:40 PM
    Are you sure that you are getting a satellite lock when this is happening? Or is it using cell phone triangulation.

Even the least "accurate" GPS receiver will be accurate to within 100 meters or so. Usually 20 - 30 meters.

Being "a few blocks off" would seem to indicate the lack of a GPS satellite lock.
    03-29-11 12:49 PM
    In Options / Advanced Options / GPS, make sure you have GPS Services set to Location On and Location Aiding Enabled.

What GPS app are you using? BBMaps will tell you how many satellites it is tracking. Google Maps doesn't.
    03-29-11 01:03 PM
    I'm not sure if I'm getting a satellite lock as you described but all my settings are correct that you've stated above, Weird thing with-in settings there's an option to refresh location which never completes.
    I was off by 800 meters, that's the approximate accurate measurement.
    I was on the bus in NYC so i tried it while i was moving like i would be doing so if i was in a car, it put me near central park while i was on the east side no where near it.
    03-29-11 01:20 PM
    What app are you using? If you were in an urban canyon with tall buildings on both sides of the street, your GPSr may only have a small view of the sky. BBMaps will tell you how many satellites it can see. That's the most important variable in GPSr performance.
    03-29-11 01:25 PM
    Also some apps have choices on how accurate do you want it to be. Cel tower based, cel tower with GPS assist, etc... that can affect the locations.
    03-29-11 01:41 PM
    I tested it with Google Maps
    03-29-11 02:06 PM
    Google Maps is a terrific app, but BBMaps is better for diagnosing your problem, because it tells you how many satellites it is tracking. Google Maps doesn't. With the accuracy you are reporting, it sounds like Google Maps is in cell-tower mode. It does that when it can't get a satellite lock. That's better than no location at all, but it's not nearly as accurate as satellite navigation.
    03-29-11 02:15 PM
    I resloved the issue, it seems if WiFi is on even if its not connected to an AP it will try to reslove the GPS location via WiFi. I disabled it and now I'm getting locations with in 3 meters.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-11 05:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD