First - I would like to say thank you to all the help this site has provided!! I've had my 8130 Alltel Pearl for about 3 months, and I am an addict - I love it!

My questions are actually for 2 other service providers and phones for other bb owners, and I know the forums have addressed this but I've searched the forums and can't find the answers - any help or direction would be appreciate! Oh, and I apoligize if this insn't the right forum - I couldn't decide since it addresses several different questions and bbs.

1) Verizon 8830 - from what I've read they have disabled the GPS and require subscription to VZ Navigator - is this right? If so, any word on when/if they will provide this access free of charge?

2) Sprint Pearl 8130 - I've found the info for tethering for alltel - but can you do this with sprint for no charge? I couldn't seem to find a straight answer....

Thanks again for all the help you've provided in the past and in the future!!
    04-21-08 08:34 AM
    Verizon has crippled the GPS on the phone, and since they sell access to the service, it's not likely they'll ever offer it for free.

In regards to Sprint, tethering falls under the data category for most carriers. Sprint just released their $99.99 all you can eat plan, but it doesn't include BES or tethered data.

Somewhere on their site, Sprint has a list of prices for data plans. The descriptions should include whether tethered data is included. Remember that most carriers look at tethered data as a "phone being used as a modem" access rather than data access, and charge accordingly.
    04-21-08 08:44 AM
    1. Correct. I doubt they will. Why would they do it for free when they have been charging for it?
    2. No, with Sprint, tethering on a BIS account is a $15 add-on.
    04-21-08 08:53 AM
    1 - Good point!
    2 - That's what I was thinking, hoping for a way around it. Oh well.

These are 2 reasons why I love Alltel!

Thanks for the info and quick replies!
    04-21-08 08:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD