I have a data plan, and have downloaded GoogleMaps, but the GPS still doesnt work.
    Google displays an "appx" location, using cell towers, not actual GPS.

If I go to Advanced Options, to GPS,
    GPS Data Source: Device GPS
    GPS Data Services: Location ON
    GPS Location:
    (then all the coordinates are 0.00)
    Location Aiding: Enabled

use menu key to "refresh GPS" and it errors: "GPS location failed" or under GPS Location, it says "scanning for Satellites", but never does anything, and eventually all the coordinates go back to 0.00

Suggestions fellow Crackberry heads?
    07-13-09 04:07 AM
    I had a very similar problem, just left Google Maps searching for my position for an hour and it sprang into life. Then again, it might be worth calling your carrier's tech team.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-09 05:30 AM
    I had a very similar problem, just left Google Maps searching for my position for an hour and it sprang into life. Then again, it might be worth calling your carrier's tech team.

I took my Curve8900 to them, but they were clueless. Blackberry is *VERY* new here in Ukraine, hence the lack of any legitimate help and my need for Crackberry com
    07-13-09 06:17 AM
    I suppose if no Crackberrians get back to you, an email to Blackberry support wouldn't hurt.

07-13-09 06:28 AM
    I have a data plan, and have downloaded GoogleMaps, but the GPS still doesnt work.
    Google displays an "appx" location, using cell towers, not actual GPS.

If I go to Advanced Options, to GPS,
    GPS Data Source: Device GPS
    GPS Data Services: Location ON
    GPS Location:
    (then all the coordinates are 0.00)
    Location Aiding: Enabled

use menu key to "refresh GPS" and it errors: "GPS location failed" or under GPS Location, it says "scanning for Satellites", but never does anything, and eventually all the coordinates go back to 0.00

Suggestions fellow Crackberry heads?
    Maybe a stupid question, but... Are you trying this outdoors? If you are inside a building, you probably won't get a satellite signal.
    07-13-09 07:18 AM
    Maybe a stupid question, but... Are you trying this outdoors? If you are inside a building, you probably won't get a satellite signal.
    actually, this time no, I'm not outdoors.
    But I've tried it so many times in cars, on the street, on my porch and now in my office 3ft from my window, it never seems to matter.

I'll go outside and try it again and see what happens. Appreciate the observant question.
    07-13-09 07:28 AM
    Have you tried downloading another application that uses GPS to see if it works?

Sometimes I get that message in Google Maps, too. I imagine there are hundreds if not thousands of people trying to access the same google maps satellites. I would think it might take some time to queue up.
    07-13-09 10:47 AM
    I replied to this in the the other thread where you asked the same question.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/gp...2/#post3030342
    07-13-09 01:18 PM
    Have you tried downloading another application that uses GPS to see if it works?

Sometimes I get that message in Google Maps, too. I imagine there are hundreds if not thousands of people trying to access the same google maps satellites. I would think it might take some time to queue up.
    no, I haven't tried other apps yet.
    I honestly hadn't assumed that there would be a vast number of people in russia/ukraine who were trying to access satellites. Hard to say.
    07-17-09 03:22 AM
    As so often the case: PROBLEM SOLVED - user error.

Apparently I wasn't in a clear enough position/location.

Google Maps finally "located me" within 3m (not 1500 as previously via cell towers), and shows 6 sats with proper Long & Lat.

Thanks Crackberrians.
    07-17-09 05:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD