12-16-14 05:01 AM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    As noted in another thread... absolutely positive for Blackberry indeed!

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 05:05 AM
    This is great news!

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 09:07 AM
    Good track record in paying EDC back. And it says Vodafone sees genuine demand. A win for BlackBerry and hopefully for Canadian citizens.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    12-16-14 09:19 AM
    It's great to see good business deals like this. It's a win for everybody.
    12-16-14 09:32 AM
    Great news in the eve of earnings call.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 09:32 AM
    Great news!

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 09:33 AM
    Hmm ... I'm not sure I would trust Vodafone to come back and purchase the BB handsets at a later date. If the Canadian government were smart (and I know that is debatable), they should just buy all the phones right now and ship the $750M worth of Blackberrys for them to use. I believe the additional $100M was set aside for other purposes, but didn't read it fully to understand where it would be going. Perhaps to build another gas plant or perhaps for on-going expenses for their Pan-Am games equivalent.
    12-16-14 09:41 AM
    Hmm ... I'm not sure I would trust Vodafone to come back and purchase the BB handsets at a later date. If the Canadian government were smart (and I know that is debatable), they should just buy all the phones right now and ship the $750M worth of Blackberrys for them to use. I believe the additional $100M was set aside for other purposes, but didn't read it fully to understand where it would be going. Perhaps to build another gas plant or perhaps for on-going expenses for their Pan-Am games equivalent.
    But the contract behind the money is for vodafone to buy BlackBerry products. That's the purpose of the agreement. I would think it's safe to say that they are going to spend the majority of it where they promised. Otherwise that would be breaching the agreement?

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    12-16-14 09:45 AM
    Great news. Things can only get better from here on out. Keep on making all the right moves Blackberry.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    12-16-14 09:57 AM
    Good track record in paying EDC back. And it says Vodafone sees genuine demand. A win for BlackBerry and hopefully for Canadian citizens.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    How? Have we seen the benefits of the two previous times the EDC funded BB purchases? That's right, this is the 3rd time that BBRY has essentially gotten an handout from the government, twice to this same "one of largest BlackBerry customers". So without this sweetening of the pot what would sales have been like? Not only does the gov't assistance bite, it does not build confidence in me that BBRY can sell handsets without assistance. And that I am not in favor of.
    mathking606 likes this.
    12-16-14 10:05 AM
    Hopefully we will see more BlackBerry smartphones in the visible shelves of Vodafone stores that reps recommending to customers and on Vodafone home pages on internet. Otherwise this deal won't be so beneficial for BlackBerry

My Z10/Z30 photography channel
    12-16-14 10:17 AM
    poor Vodafone their warehouses are about to get filled with unsold inventory
    12-16-14 10:54 AM
    poor Vodafone their warehouses are about to get filled with unsold inventory
    Don't believe the deal mandates they have to buy $850M of BB products just that the government will finance purchases up to that point. The deal is over 5 years and if Voda feels they can't sell that much BB they won't order it. Its a pretty good deal as government assistance goes. Interest rates are very low so it won't cost much.
    12-16-14 11:09 AM
    How? Have we seen the benefits of the two previous times the EDC funded BB purchases? That's right, this is the 3rd time that BBRY has essentially gotten an handout from the government, twice to this same "one of largest BlackBerry customers". So without this sweetening of the pot what would sales have been like? Not only does the gov't assistance bite, it does not build confidence in me that BBRY can sell handsets without assistance. And that I am not in favor of.
    You made me think that every Telco would and should get the same deal,maybe that's why BB is having carrier relation problems,we know about Spain ,that's only 2
    12-16-14 11:18 AM
    Don't believe the deal mandates they have to buy $850M of BB products just that the government will finance purchases up to that point. The deal is over 5 years and if Voda feels they can't sell that much BB they won't order it. Its a pretty good deal as government assistance goes. Interest rates are very low so it won't cost much.
    I think it works out to about 32 Million per Quarter,not bad
    12-16-14 11:21 AM
    Good for Canada, good for Vodafone and especially good for BlackBerry...

It's like getting approved by the Bank for a up to $75K car loan... but right now you are only wanting to get your kid a $10K car. It's there if Vodafone needs it, but it doesn't mean BlackBerry has sold anything yet. Doesn't matter how good the financing is... you don't order more than you can sell of any product. But this does give Vodafone as a carrier an incentive to stick with BlackBerry.
    12-16-14 11:48 AM
    Isn't this the same vendor that had a report of one reporter/customer being threatened by the store staff over a BlackBerry Passport?

This Passport takes me places!
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    12-16-14 11:48 AM
    Good for Canada, good for Vodafone and especially good for BlackBerry...

It's like getting approved by the Bank for a up to $75K car loan... but right now you are only wanting to get your kid a $10K car. It's there if Vodafone needs it, but it doesn't mean BlackBerry has sold anything yet. Doesn't matter how good the financing is... you don't order more than you can sell of any product. But this does give Vodafone as a carrier an incentive to stick with BlackBerry.
    Makes sense !!
    12-16-14 01:31 PM
    that's a lot of phones !
    12-16-14 01:33 PM
    That just means Vodafone will have to push more Blackberry sales then iPhones or Android in the next 5 years or else they will have lots of left over inventories. Genius strategy by our Harper government to improve trades relation with Europe. I was wondering why our Prime Minister took so long in Europe to sign a damn trade agreement.
    menshawy likes this.
    12-16-14 01:50 PM
    I love reading posts from people who know nothing about business talk about business.....

Posted via CB10
    ibpluto and glamrlama like this.
    12-16-14 02:16 PM
    ^lol. My guess at the detail-lacking report was that they are buying assets from BBRY, not inventory. Time will tell.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 03:25 PM
    So... is it for phones and services that Vodafone will sell to consumers and businesses or is it for phones and services that Vodafone will use themselves?
    12-16-14 04:28 PM
    I wonder if this is a sign the Canadian government wants Vodafone into Canada as a big league player. If not, why don't the government just invest directly into Blackberry or split that money among Canadian carriers to purchase Blackberry products. I feel there is more in this deal than just lending a foreign company money.
    12-16-14 06:36 PM
29 12