I'm sorry but, what was the original argument/debate?
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    11-04-12 09:02 PM
    This thread is much more entertaining than 60 minutes
    11-04-12 09:24 PM
    This QNX is not a shrunken down version of our already released QNX. We designed it in a special way that was different than anyone else could have delivered it. It's its own QNX. Let's take a look at what we did to bring this new OS because it is special and no one else could have done what our incredible team has accomplished. Meet the QNX on a handset but don't call it a shrunk down version because it's not.
    11-04-12 09:43 PM
    I'm kinda curious now.... Is the operating system that's going to be on the BB10 phones going to be the same one that's on car radios? If so, would I be able to run BB10 apps on my car radio? How about those nuclear power plants? Would they be able to run Playbook apps at my local nuclear power plant? Would those guys be wasting time playing Angry Birds instead of watching out for meltdowns?
    Shanerredflag and MADBRADNYC like this.
    11-04-12 09:50 PM
    This QNX is not a shrunken down version of our already released QNX. We designed it in a special way that was different than anyone else could have delivered it. It's its own QNX. Let's take a look at what we did to bring this new OS because it is special and no one else could have done what our incredible team has accomplished. Meet the QNX on a handset but don't call it a shrunk down version because it's not.
    So, what's this? A response to an email to the QNX team or something?
    Very Nice!

Well, lets not forget...
    Post #263
    Oh please nothing. I've seen you saying you know so much and seen nothing to back it up. I haven't seen one piece of prove that it's a different OS. Until I do I will continue to believe what I believe and you do the same. If I'm wrong I will be more than willing to say I am. Prove it because your just saying it's the way you think it is is meaningless.
    Post #252
    If you want a phone and a tablet to run the same programs don't you need the OS to be the same. That way you don't need to create different programs for each.
    Post #240
    As far as I know RIM create a version of QNX to use on mobile devices. Not 2 versions. I don' t know if a full version of QNX could even be put on a mobile device right now. It's very power hungry.
    Post #237
    If that was the case and RIM didn't create a QNX OS to work on both then why is BB10 going to able to be installed on both? It's one OS. On both.
    I'm just trying to be clear on what you are now attempting to convey.
    TIA
    11-04-12 11:09 PM
    So, what's this? A response to an email to the QNX team or something?
    Very Nice!

Well, lets not forget...
    Post #263

Post #252

Post #240

Post #237

I'm just trying to be clear on what you are now attempting to convey.
    TIA
    Watch the release footage of the latest other product on the market right now. It's nothing but a comical break to this so serious thread. When I watched it originally I almost fell on the floor.
    11-04-12 11:16 PM
    Watch the release footage of the latest other product on the market right now. It's nothing but a comical break to this so serious thread. When I watched it originally I almost fell on the floor.
    Ahhh. I see. Do you happen to have a link for me to see?
    I also agree with you that some comic relief is in good order...
    11-04-12 11:31 PM
    Here's a good one. I thought I saw it on CrackBerry first but I can't find the link.

Apple's "Banned" iPad mini Promo Video [Humour] | iPhone in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPhone Resource
    11-04-12 11:51 PM
    LoL. Good stuff!
    I've actually seen other videos made by them, but I've never seen that one until now.

Thanks!
    11-05-12 12:14 AM
    Govt Agencies leaving Blackberry,...for iPhone and Android!  Oh my!-ignorance-choice.jpg

Just a thought.
    11-05-12 01:56 AM
    In the end nobody can say for sure if it does have FIPS already or if it doesn't. Only Rim knows that.

But I trust RIM on this and I'd say not having it is not an option for them.
    11-05-12 05:23 AM
    Well if BB10 uses Neutrino 6.5 which is FIPS, I think certification still requires FIPS testing for BB10. PlayBook had to be certified.
    11-05-12 05:54 AM
    Well if BB10 uses Neutrino 6.5 which is FIPS, I think certification still requires FIPS testing for BB10. PlayBook had to be certified.
    I wonder, did the 4G PlayBook need to be certified again or not?
    11-05-12 05:56 AM
    I found this:

1.2 Computer hardware and OS
    The combinations of computer hardware and OS include the following representative platform:
    BlackBerry Tablet OS version 6.6, ARMv7

The BlackBerry OS Cryptographic Library is also suitable for any manufacturer’s platform that has
    compatible processors, equivalent or larger system configurations, and compatible OS versions. For
    example, an identical BlackBerry OS Cryptographic Library can be used on any compatible BlackBerry
    Tablet OS for ARM processors. The BlackBerry OS Cryptographic Library will run on such platforms and
    OS versions while maintaining its compliance to the FIPS 140-2 Level 1 requirements.

Here

Ahh totally forgot PlayBook used Neutrino 6.6. Looks like for FIPS, 4G PlayBook was a compatible OS
    NFLPLAYBOOK likes this.
    11-05-12 08:29 AM
    I found this:

1.2 Computer hardware and OS
    The combinations of computer hardware and OS include the following representative platform:
    BlackBerry Tablet OS version 6.6, ARMv7

The BlackBerry OS Cryptographic Library is also suitable for any manufacturer’s platform that has
    compatible processors, equivalent or larger system configurations, and compatible OS versions. For
    example, an identical BlackBerry OS Cryptographic Library can be used on any compatible BlackBerry
    Tablet OS for ARM processors. The BlackBerry OS Cryptographic Library will run on such platforms and
    OS versions while maintaining its compliance to the FIPS 140-2 Level 1 requirements.

Here

Ahh totally forgot PlayBook used Neutrino 6.6. Looks like for FIPS, 4G PlayBook was a compatible OS
    So the 4G PlayBook that is significantly different internally was covered by the wifi PlayBook FIPS certification and didn't need to be tested again?
    NFLPLAYBOOK likes this.
    11-05-12 08:52 AM
    So the 4G PlayBook that is significantly different internally was covered by the wifi PlayBook FIPS certification and didn't need to be tested again?
    they are running the same OS and arm7 architecture so i can see that applying. I guess since the 6.6 neutrino and arm7 is going to be in bb10 maybe bb10 is already FIPS cert but i would think it needs to go thru the process again.
    11-05-12 08:59 AM
    they are running the same OS and arm7 architecture so i can see that applying. I guess since the 6.6 neutrino and arm7 is going to be in bb10 maybe bb10 is already FIPS cert but i would think it needs to go thru the process again.
    So it's plausible BB10 phones will also fall under the same FIPS certification and it's plausible maybe RIM did so on purpose no, so they would be certified out of the box?

It's what I would do.
    11-05-12 09:10 AM
    it will depend on the people that run the certifications. Also they are working on a new neutrino that may be used with bb10 but i dont know the status of that. we would need to see the details from the dev alphas and what "version" they are running
    11-05-12 09:18 AM
    I cannot believe how long this silly thread is dragging on ...

Why is it so shocking that competitors might have improved their security to be good enough for some users in government?

Why is it so shocking that devices and oses often have to go through a lengthy certification process?

Why is it so shocking that an unreleased OS (or derivative of an OS, depending on how you view it) may not have that certification yet?

And why is it a bad thing?

Does anyone seriously believe BlackBerry 10 won't be certified? One of RIM's core competencies is certification. I would bet that once it is complete and released, it won't take all that long.
    kraski and pantlesspenguin like this.
    11-05-12 09:26 AM
    it will depend on the people that run the certifications. Also they are working on a new neutrino that may be used with bb10 but i dont know the status of that. we would need to see the details from the dev alphas and what "version" they are running
    But while the plausability is there, one cannot be called "crazy" for claiming there's a chance RIM planned ahead for this and BB10 could already be FIPS certified.
    NFLPLAYBOOK likes this.
    11-05-12 09:29 AM
    Is FIPS certification strictly based on software, or is there a hardware component as well?
    11-05-12 09:43 AM
    Is FIPS certification strictly based on software, or is there a hardware component as well?
    Must be both sticking a faster processor and network connectivity into the PlayBook didn't affect its FIPS certification.
    NFLPLAYBOOK likes this.
    11-05-12 09:52 AM
    But while the plausability is there, one cannot be called "crazy" for claiming there's a chance RIM planned ahead for this and BB10 could already be FIPS certified.
    It could be, if the OS is at its final production version. The government won't certify anything that's still subject to change. That looks close, but one of the carriers that's testing could find something that changes the OS enough to make what's presently available just a beta. And, once the OS has reached production status, the government would at least do some perfunctory testing to verify that the kernel really is one that's already been certified.
    11-05-12 09:54 AM
    It could be, if the OS is at its final production version. The government won't certify anything that's still subject to change. That looks close, but one of the carriers that's testing could find something that changes the OS enough to make what's presently available just a beta. And, once the OS has reached production status, the government would at least do some perfunctory testing to verify that the kernel really is one that's already been certified.
    So if it could be we're not so crazy after all right?

I for one would like to think Rim has planned ahead for this so BB10 will be certified out of the box.
    11-05-12 09:58 AM
    There are four levels.
    Hardware (tamper resistance) is also considered.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    11-05-12 09:58 AM
481 ... 1112131415 ...