BB10 is based off of the same QNX OS as the unnamed PlayBook QNX OS that is FIPS certified.

Govt Agencies leaving Blackberry,...for iPhone and Android!  Oh my!-laptop-nope-imgur.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    11-04-12 06:49 PM
    BB10 is based off of the same QNX OS as the unnamed PlayBook QNX OS that is FIPS certified.
    It has been explained several different ways by several different members...
    QNX is not an OS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It is the PLATFORM that the OS is built to work upon.
    The OSs are the PBOS and BB10.

Once the clarity about that basic premise is retained, only then can you go forward.

11-04-12 06:53 PM
    QNX is not an OS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once the clarity about that basic premise is retained, only then can you go forward.

Give it up. He's doing it on purpose. NOBODY can be that uncomprehending and still manage to be functional in real life. It's a joke. He's having fun while we try to reason with him. It's a joke. I'm done with him.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    11-04-12 06:58 PM
    Give it up. He's doing it on purpose. NOBODY can be that uncomprehending and still manage to be functional in real life. It's a joke. He's having fun while we try to reason with him. It's a joke. I'm done with him.
    I think I have to agree.
    Gotta be messing with us.
    11-04-12 07:07 PM
    I think I have to agree.
    Gotta be messing with us.
    Yup, he has taken us on a merry ride, he has.

I'm done.

Getting ready to put this weekend to bed....
    11-04-12 07:09 PM
    I hate to drop a bomb but QNX is an OS. Maybe some here know this but its difficult to know lol
    11-04-12 07:17 PM

So now you want me think of QNX RTOS as a platform and not an OS. Ok.
    11-04-12 07:17 PM
    I hate to drop a bomb but QNX is an OS. Maybe some here know this but its difficult to know lol
    Please....
    Don't you start now!
    What is the QNX Software Development Platform?
    11-04-12 07:22 PM
    lol that is basically eclipse IDE that QNX customized for their own OS. Its for programmers to write software code in. Basically a really fancy txt editor.

look here QNX Momentics Tool Suite QNX is part of the eclipse foundation that supports development of this software because its open source. Many programmers use eclipse.
    11-04-12 07:30 PM
    QNX is the platform in which the operating system is written to work upon.
    Bye-Bye.
    I gotta get some sleep.
    11-04-12 07:35 PM
    NFLPLAYBOOK was saying some very confusing and contradictory statements. But maybe you are thinking about when Thorsten Heins talks about mobile computing platform. I was going to post something about that above but I'll just paste it here:

Platform doesn't really mean anything other than to convey a message about BB10 being used on MORE than just smart phones.
    Google could talk about the Android platform since it is/can be used in more than cellphones also same thing with Apple. But RIM is moving into automotive where QNX already is. Thereby extending RIM's services NOC (on top of QNX) as a "platform" that other companies can take advantage of.

Also think of the PlayBook or BB10 user interface as a program that is running on a QNX tablet and you will be fine. While technically there is more happening its still QNX running the user interface (UI) plus all of the drivers for BT and Audio and WIFI etc.
    11-04-12 07:38 PM
    Bye-Bye.
    I gotta get some sleep.
    yes you do lol
    11-04-12 07:40 PM
    Yup, he has taken us on a merry ride, he has.

I'm done.

Getting ready to put this weekend to bed....
    You do get that people think differently than you don't you. That's how things are created and move ahead. If everyone thought the same the world would be a boring place.
    11-04-12 07:43 PM
    Maybe this will help some of you out. I think it will explain some of the confusion about QNX.

An extended demo of the QNX CAR 2 application platform | CrackBerry.com

First paragraph, second sentence.

The above video has been uploaded by QNX to their YouTube account in the last few days and while it isn't technically BlackBerry related it sort of is. Most of you will be aware that QNX is owned by RIM, and the PlayBook OS as well as BlackBerry 10 run on the QNX platform. The video is a demonstration of the latest QNX CAR 2 in car solution from QNX based on HTML5 and although I can't confirm that the dashboard display is a BlackBerry PlayBook it may well be. Either way there are some big similarities and I thought many of you may well find the video interesting.

If you have the patience to watch the whole video (it's 21 minutes long) you will see some familiar icons in the interface. The new QNX car display has the same web browser as the PlayBook, some familiar looking applications and even the same App World icon that we are used to seeing.

The main reason I wanted to share the video with you is just to show the capabilities and customisation available on the platform. With BlackBerry 10 coming to fruition in Q1 2013 it will be interesting to see if the in-car solutions that QNX offer will integrate further with the new BlackBerry operating system. With QNX being part of the BlackBerry family it would make sense and it would be great to see the car OS being an extension of the smartphone. Only time will tell.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    11-04-12 07:44 PM
    You guys understand that its just marketing speek right. There is no difference between a "platform" and a OS and if there is please fill me in.

!!! ok I think I understand where the confusion arrises.
    QNX "the company" uses the term platform to combine all the services they offer. That being: Momentics IDE, Aviage Audio Suite, QNX car and the QNX Neutrino RTOS etc.

These are technologies that QNX "the company" has built/invented over the years that they offer as an option with their Neutrino RTOS (note that RTOS = Real Time Operating System).

So I guess it depends on how a person is looking at things, but MADBARDNYC you don't have a clue, sorry bud.
    Last edited by dentynefire; 11-04-12 at 08:08 PM.
    11-04-12 07:57 PM
    I guess according to this line of reasoning.... iOS and MacOS are the same OS. Android and Linux are the same OS. Quite possibly, Windows Phone 8, Windows RT, and Windows 8 are also the same OS. But then, why stop there with Windows.... Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 are all the same OS.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    11-04-12 08:09 PM
    I guess according to this line of reasoning.... iOS and MacOS are the same OS. Android and Linux are the same OS. Quite possibly, Windows Phone 8, Windows RT, and Windows 8 are also the same OS. But then, why stop there with Windows.... Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 are all the same OS.
    Well all those products share the same kernel like iOS and OS X, Android & Linux, and Windows 8/RT/Phone.

While they aren't the same products through and through, their underpinnings are the same.
    11-04-12 08:14 PM
    There is no difference between a "platform" and a OS and if there is please fill me in.
    I agree with you to a certain extent. EXCEPT for the fact were are not talking in that context. We are talking in the context of what BB10 or the PBOS is juxtaposed to the underlying QNX platform.
    We are addressing the fact that NFLPLAYBOOK believes that just because apps can run on different OSs such as the PlayBook & BB10, that both the PBOS and BB10 are the same because they run on QNX. They are not.
    richardat and axeman1000 like this.
    11-04-12 08:28 PM
    Please....
    Don't you start now!
    What is the QNX Software Development Platform?
    Ya, that pretty much says that QNX is an operating system.

<== software developer confused by what you are trying to say.
    11-04-12 08:44 PM
    Bye-Bye.
    I gotta get some sleep.
    No, no it is not.

QNX is an operating system. You can take it along with Board support packages (BSPs) that hardware vendors provide (or atleast should provide) and you tie it all together. You then use the APIs provided by the vendor to create the software that you want to run on QNX.
    11-04-12 08:47 PM
    I agree with you to a certain extent. EXCEPT for the fact were are not talking in that context. We are talking in the context of what BB10 or the PBOS is juxtaposed to the underlying QNX platform.
    We are addressing the fact that NFLPLAYBOOK believes that just because apps can run on different OSs such as the PlayBook & BB10, that both the PBOS and BB10 are the same because they run on QNX. They are not.
    The BB10 and Playbook both run the QNX operating system.
    11-04-12 08:48 PM
    Ya, that pretty much says that QNX is an operating system.

<== software developer confused by what you are trying to say.
    You may be more correct with the link that dentynefire posted.
    You could also try reading the first sentence in the post I made just prior to yours.
    11-04-12 08:51 PM
    Duh. Try reading the whole thread in context instead of just popping off.
    11-04-12 08:52 PM
    Unix is an operating system too. Both Linux and OSX are based on Unix. By this logic, Linux and OSX are also the same OS.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    11-04-12 08:53 PM
    UGh.....Madbradnyc just clarified the context in which he was speaking - very cleary- and progress was being made (by that post, and others). Your post regresses it back to vague nonsense. :-(
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    11-04-12 08:57 PM
481 ... 1011121314 ...