Oh I didn't know you couldn't have more than one account. Must be many more around here banned then as I saw nothing said being ban worthy.
    LOL... KB, you are too pure-minded. I am fairly certain it was someone else in the thread, or a past visitor.
    11-03-12 11:02 AM
    Oh I didn't know you couldn't have more than one account. Must be many more around here banned then as I saw nothing said being ban worthy.
    Agreed, nothing ban-worthy in the post. But creating multiple accounts to agree with yourself, definitely ban worthy...and really sad.

LOL... KB, you are too pure-minded. I am fairly certain it was someone else in the thread, or a past visitor.
    I'm fairly certain I know exactly who it was, but it's not a discussion for open forum.
    richardat likes this.
    11-03-12 11:05 AM
    LOL I'm sure also but I also think there are many on here lovers of any platform that have more than just one account and they do the same thing
    11-03-12 11:13 AM
    LOL I'm sure also but I also think there are many on here lovers of any platform that have more than just one account and they do the same thing
    If you suspect it, you should definitely report it to the moderators. They can usually tell when a user has multiple accounts.
    richardat likes this.
    11-03-12 11:15 AM
    I've been following CB since a long time but this thread really made me sign up!

I would like to add 2 things:

1. As per FIPS certificate - Any product using the mentioned certified cryptographic module/kernel/library can be labelled as FIPS 140-2 compliant as long as the same validated version is being used in the product's life-cycle. Since we all know that BB OS Java based and PlayBook OS QNX based, both have been FIPS certified hence BB10 may already be FIPS 140-2 compliant. Only reason for BB10 to not be FIPS compliant would be if they are using an updated version of the BlackBerry Cryptographic Kernel/Library/Module which would require them to re-certify the status. This would only mean even higher security levels. Secondly, Certicom is a subsidiary of RIM which specializes in cryptography - quote

So clearly BB10 is not FIPS 140-2 certified BUT it is definitely FIPS 140-2 compliant since you can search BB10 native SDK dev site and see support for BlackBerry OS Cryptographic Kernel which I believe was used in BB PlayBook for FIPS certification.

2. I believe BB10 is just an upgraded version of the PlayBook OS. The perfect example here would be to take from Windows development. The original plan was Windows XP - Next major update Windows 7 - But to fill in the long gap - Windows Vista was used. Same way - The old OS for RIM is the Java based BB OS which sees it's key major update to BB10, however to fill in the gap - the PlayBook OS is being used. PlayBook OS and BB10 are both based on QNX Neutrino OS with added layers of BlackBerry security. The BB10 OS is refined, corrected, added with features and optimized version of the PB OS. Majority of the PB OS architecture has been followed through to BB10. Key would be procnto - QNX Neutrino microkernel and process manager utilized in both BB10 and PB OS.

There are some really foolish and personal arguments in this thread..

1. Questioning the security status of BlackBerry, the owners of QNX and Certicom lol

2. Stating that PlayBook OS differs from BB10 OS. So RIM made a new OS after making a new OS? Don't you think that would be some bigger news than RIM not launching native PIM?

PS - Why is this one particular group fighting on every thread when they clearly don't have a point? They are using CrackBerry as a moral policing ground on correcting every word (literally every word). Guys you need to chill out. Not every poster is a professional tech blog writer, and they might mean something different. But constantly asking them to prove themselves right, means adding more incorrect posts to the thread. If you spot something wrong, you can correct it yourself. But I highly doubt that's the intention. Besides, I agree with all the 'stupid posts' and 'idiots' because they collectively make more sense than the really sorry attitude you few have brought in.
    Thanks for the clarification on the FIPS certification process. Helpful information.

As for the comments about the publicly available versions of the Playbook OS being different from BB10, I can't speak for others. But I can only go by the public comments of RIM tech employees, some of which were reported right on this site. They say it's a different animal. Whether that goes deep enough to change the kernel, I don't know. But neither does anyone else, except RIM employees. Either way, I go by employee statements rather than people's opinions. I would assume that should be true for others as well.

As for what's been said about FIPS certification, I don't know of any tech bloggers here. But there are several of us who are known here to either be or have been employed by the government or government contractors, at levels where various types of security certification and clearance are important. While we might not know the exact details of the FIPS process, I find it both frustrating and funny to watch those who don't know any of it respond, then totally ignore what's been said in their responses to other posts. Like we keep losing Michelle Obama's "teachable moment".
    mikeo007 and MADBRADNYC like this.
    11-03-12 11:20 AM
    If you suspect it, you should definitely report it to the moderators. They can usually tell when a user has multiple accounts.
    Agreed. When I was a mod on a website for fragrance enthusiasts we'd have people make multiple accounts to troll. The mods would get an alert whenever a user had signed up another account (through IP tracking) and we'd watch the new account for awhile. Sometimes it was only a spouse signing up. But when we'd catch people in the act of trolling on the new account we'd call them out on the old one. It was pretty funny sometimes.
    kraski, mikeo007 and richardat like this.
    11-03-12 11:37 AM
    coughONEOFTHEBANNEDcough
    mikeo007 likes this.
    11-03-12 12:00 PM
    Agreed. When I was a mod on a website for fragrance enthusiasts we'd have people make multiple accounts to troll. The mods would get an alert whenever a user had signed up another account (through IP tracking) and we'd watch the new account for awhile. Sometimes it was only a spouse signing up. But when we'd catch people in the act of trolling on the new account we'd call them out on the old one. It was pretty funny sometimes.
    Be a Duran Duran fan. You see some EPIC trolling then. It's fantastic. And we would also call out on the original account. , I remember threads where it was only alts talking to each other.

Comedy gold.
    11-03-12 12:03 PM
    ****comes out of self imposed exile****

Have to be pretty darn desperate to convince people to resort to that level if dirt. Nah. Dirt is too good. Trash is the correct word. Devious deceitful trash.

******returns to self imposed exile****

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    11-03-12 12:13 PM
    I've been following CB since a long time but this thread really made me sign up!
    That's normally how most of us became members... It's evident by the ban that this statement is not true...
    As per FIPS certificate - Any product using the mentioned certified cryptographic module/kernel/library can be labelled as FIPS 140-2 compliant as long as the same validated version is being used in the product's life-cycle. Since we all know that BB OS Java based and PlayBook OS QNX based, both have been FIPS certified hence BB10 may already be FIPS 140-2 compliant.
    Compliance does not equal certification.

Compliance-A car mechanic that goes through all of the training, knows everything there is about vehicles and how to repair them, but does not complete his course and get tested to receive his certification. He may have the knowledge and ability to work in any repair shop, but is limited to the guy around the corner working out of his garage if local shops require a certified mechanic.

Certification-A car mechanic that goes through all of the training, knows everything there is about vehicles and how to repair them. He also took the time to complete his course and get tested by a higher authority in his profession to receive his certification. He has the knowledge, ability, and certification to work in any repair shop.

It's the difference between using a licensed or an unlicensed contractor to perform work at your home.
    You can use both, but if something goes wrong, it is the customers fault for not checking to see if the contractor was licensed before doing any work.
    I'm sure high security levels of government (customer) is not going to take a chance with top security just because they know the history of great security within another company (contractor).
    Also what does BBOS Java have to do with anything QNX related?
    So clearly BB10 is not FIPS 140-2 certified BUT it is definitely FIPS 140-2 compliant...
    At least you realize it is not certified currently... That's what we've been saying all along...
    As stated before, compliance is something different.
    That piece of paper means a lot.
    You may go to college, but if you don't get your sheepskin you are NOT a graduate.
    They are using CrackBerry as a moral policing ground...
    Isn't that what you tried to do here with this new fake account?

I don't pretend to know everything about the FIPS process, because I don't. That's why I never got involved with that portion of the discussion.
    However, certification seems pretty much common sense to me...

I'm also sure that this thread will be long buried next year by the time BB10 is released.
    But, I would love to see the faces of these people when the CB headline says... "BB10 gets FIPS-140-2 certification!"
    Just like all of their other products have.

Nothing will stop BB10. Nothing!!!
    11-03-12 01:28 PM
    Agreed, nothing ban-worthy in the post. But creating multiple accounts to agree with yourself, definitely ban worthy...and really sad.

I'm fairly certain I know exactly who it was, but it's not a discussion for open forum.
    ROFLMAO You sound like the posters claiming inside information from some unnamed source. If you cannot disclose the details of your "reasoning" due to some nebulos "but it's not a discussion for open forum" perhaps it is better not to post anything alleging such knowledge. Sometimes the delusional behaviour by people on this forum rivals the self-righteous allegations tossed at the "iSheep." I am BlackBerry, not delusional.
    11-03-12 03:08 PM
    ROFLMAO You sound like the posters claiming inside information from some unnamed source. If you cannot disclose the details of your "reasoning" due to some nebulos "but it's not a discussion for open forum" perhaps it is better not to post anything alleging such knowledge. Sometimes the delusional behaviour by people on this forum rivals the self-righteous allegations tossed at the "iSheep." I am BlackBerry, not delusional.
    I would dare say that if you claim to be Blackberry you are quite delusional.
    richardat and mikeo007 like this.
    11-03-12 03:12 PM
    Lol...are you just kidding around, or are you asking me to call out forum members?
    11-03-12 03:33 PM
    And into banned status. Some people's efforts just make me laugh...
    This could be the single-most appropriate event in the history of trolling. Comes out berating a "group" and accusing them of trolling, and.....
    11-03-12 06:27 PM
    Appears that the soap operas that left tv are all here!!! LOL

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-03-12 07:20 PM
    Well here's the link to what the PlayBook is using now. I for one will be checking because I want to know what the they could possibly move to that would be better than this.

Meet the Power Behind the BlackBerry Tablet OS
    11-03-12 11:45 PM
    The Pentagon went to BYOD. I guess it is a good headline with other device users and BlackBerry users. Substance, not so much.

11-03-12 11:50 PM
    The Pentagon went to BYOD. I guess it is a good headline with other device users and BlackBerry users. Substance, not so much.

Yes they did say that they weren't moving away from BB didn't they. Why not let people in not critical areas use whatever devices the want to. When it counts use a BB.
    11-04-12 12:23 AM
    Well here's the link to what the PlayBook is using now. I for one will be checking because I want to know what the they could possibly move to that would be better than this.

Meet the Power Behind the BlackBerry Tablet OS
    That link is irrelevant.

NOBODY is questioning QNX.

NOBODY is questioning BB.

What I said ten pages ago is that BB10 as an OS has not been released , tested, and been FIPS certified.

The PB Tablet OS WAS certified and it had a vulnerability that resulted in Dingleberry. Bad news for a company who had always been highly secure and which was using a highly secure core. Execution failure. It should have been air tight and IT WAS RELEASED WITH A VULNERABILITY. I would like to see anyone disputing THAT.

BB10 will also need FIPS certification.

The government will NOT put something behind firewalls without NIST approval.

If using an underlying OS means that subsequent iterations of that deployed OS do not require FIPS, kindly explain WHY BB OS 5, 6, and 7, which i found and then stopped because I really didn't want to waste time to go back further, ALL NEEDED TO BE FIPS APPROVED. ALL BB OSs, all had to go through FIPS. Is ANYONE saying that coding was so much more different between BB OS 5, 6. and 7 than between the PB and BB10? If so, why over a year's delay between one and the other? If it's the same OS, would the addition of a radio have cost almost two years' worth of development?

Stop and THINK about the ramifications of putting untested software, hardware, systems behind government firewalls simply because a company is using the base as one that was previously certified.

I'm out of here again. Anyone who wishes to continue on telling me that what my agency requires from me and which I have to adhere to every single day is purely a figment of my imagination and I'm engaging in wilful deceit....well.....have at it. I am talking about MY EVERYDAY JOB. Not conjectures, hyperbole, or deceipt.

NIST will have to approve BB10. One that little paper is issued BB10 is approved. Can't make it any clearer.
    MADBRADNYC, mikeo007 and richardat like this.
    11-04-12 04:18 AM
    OMGBB10 - you will never make it here, you have too much common sense. Welcome to Crackberry.
    Well what T definitely had were too many accounts.....should have known he couldn't come back to CB after his initial ban.

Kinda blows the whole common sense thing right out of the water....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    MADBRADNYC and mikeo007 like this.
    11-04-12 04:39 AM
    Lol...are you just kidding around, or are you asking me to call out forum members?
    Just say he was T here...that's obscure enough....and it lets him know we're on to him, as he continues to lurk on this site which he said he wanted to leave SO MUCH...

For a group who wanted to be gone, they sure come back....even if it takes creating new accounts after being banned the first time.

OK now I'll really go back on self imposed exile....

11-04-12 04:47 AM
    Someone will always keep poking their head in here and there with the same chant over and over.
    Emotional feelings are actually being hurt by stating facts.
    BB10 is not currently FIPS certified. Get a handle on that people!
    The top secret services of government will not utilize a system that is not certified by the NIST!

This cult mentality that some BlackBerry owners have kinda scares me!
    This #BB10Believe thing is getting out of control!
    People will say anything nowadays. And... The chant continues.

I love my platform just as much as the next guy, but some are taking it to another level.
    This extreme fringe of BlackBerry users kinda turns me off, and I refuse to be part of this sub-cult.

Will they eat their words when CB posts headlines in the future that BB10 is certified?
    Or, will they forget that they all thought and stated that it it won't need certification because RIM had a history of secure devices?
    11-04-12 05:04 AM
    Don't know who "T" was, but I do know people take this stuff way too serious. For me this is a hobby, though I do understand for some it is an important part of their job. I agree that we have to wait to see what BB10 will really bring to the table before crowning it the greatest os ever. I like diversity and hope technology keeps bringing new and exciting advances. Thus my hobby will keep me entertained.
    11-04-12 07:45 AM
    Just say he was T here...that's obscure enough....and it lets him know we're on to him, as he continues to lurk on this site which he said he wanted to leave SO MUCH...

For a group who wanted to be gone, they sure come back....even if it takes creating new accounts after being banned the first time.

OK now I'll really go back on self imposed exile....

Haha I just looked back at one of his other personas, used almost the exact same opening line "longtime lurker, first time poster" lol.
    notfanboy likes this.
    11-04-12 08:54 AM
    Welcome out of lurking status.
    And into banned status. Some people's efforts just make me laugh...
    It was hilarious... LOL. Fake accounts to make points.
    Very entertaining sequence. I had a good laugh over this one.

My opinion - the sock puppet account ought to be banned as per the rules. But there ought to be a consequence to the puppeteer. Because this action shows them to be dishonest, the puppeteer poster should be outed. This alerts the rest of the community as to who are the dishonest agents, and it is also a deterrent against such activities.
    11-04-12 09:14 AM
481 ... 7891011 ...