I recently got a new replacment phone thru Bell Mobility after paying the $7 for a new phone if my other one breaks. So I get my new phone and a couple days later I get BBM invites from strangers. They say that this was their friends old phone PIN number. I thought that a PIN was unique to each phone and since I got someone elses PIN, didn't I get a used phone instead of the new one I was supposed to get?
    12-09-10 06:19 PM
    The PIN is unique to each BB and sounds like you obviously have a used device. Just ignore the requests or demand a brand new phone from your carrier. Most replacement phones the carriers are sending out are just refurbs marketed as new.
    12-09-10 06:24 PM
    I recently got a new replacment phone thru Bell Mobility after paying the $7 for a new phone if my other one breaks. So I get my new phone and a couple days later I get BBM invites from strangers. They say that this was their friends old phone PIN number. I thought that a PIN was unique to each phone and since I got someone elses PIN, didn't I get a used phone instead of the new one I was supposed to get?
    The PIN is unique to the phone, not the person.

You probably did get a refurbished phone. Read your contract very carefully and I'm sure the agreement states they're going to provide a refurbished device after the initial 30 day period or whatever the contract states the time period is for a new replacement device.
    12-09-10 06:26 PM
    The PIN is unique to the phone, not the person.
    The PIN is unique to the person who has the BB at that time.
    12-09-10 06:29 PM
    The PIN is unique to the person who has the BB at that time.
    Well there's always that. I always was surprised that they don't change the PIN when they refurbish the device. It makes me wonder just how difficult it would be for them to do whether it is still encoded in the software or whether it is encoded in the hardware...
    12-09-10 06:33 PM
    The pin Is above the refurbishers scope. PINs do not change with a refurb. Its just part of the products life cycle

And Canuck, the replacement through Bell is for a refurb. You will not get a new device unless no refurbs are available. If the person who presented the insurance to you said you get a new phone he lied, which led you to this incident.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-10 07:47 PM
    The replacement, which Bell SAID would be new, was thru a 3rd party insurance company. It did come with everything saran wrapped like it was brand new, but I assume that the company could do that no problem. I never would have known had that stranger not tried to add me as a friend on BBM. Time to phone Bell and try to get thru their customer service **** yet again!
    12-09-10 08:34 PM
    Most insurance companies only send refurbs unless there are no refurbs available. In a lot of case the refurb is better than new as there is stricter QC done on the refurbs.
    12-09-10 08:39 PM
    Most insurance companies only send refurbs unless there are no refurbs available. In a lot of case the refurb is better than new as there is stricter QC done on the refurbs.
    I concur. 100% of refurb devices get individual attention, whereas the new ones on the line probably get sampled every few or every few dozen or a few a batch.

To the OP: did you get it in writing that they were giving you a new device? How did you come to be under the impression they would provide a new one?

I still suspect in the contract you signed when you got the initial device and insurance, it states refurb is what you'll get.
    12-09-10 08:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD