Hello

I don't have a dataplan, so the only way to connect my BlackBerry (8520) to the Net is through wifi.

To speed things up, I was wondering if it were possible to get an Internet connection through a PC using the USB cable instead?

The goal is to use GooSync to sync a PIM application to Google Calendars, and then have the Blackberry sync with Google, and make this as fast as possible.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thank you.
    10-05-10 05:21 PM
    What is "GooSync"?
    10-05-10 05:59 PM
    It's a subscription-based service that syncs handhelds with Google Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks

What is GooSync?
    10-06-10 07:08 AM
    It's a subscription-based service that syncs handhelds with Google Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks

What is GooSync?
    Google Sync does the same exact thing

and you can do it OTA over Wi-Fi.

http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/
    10-06-10 08:26 AM
    Google Sync does the same exact thing

and you can do it OTA over Wi-Fi.

Google Sync for your phone
    All of the actual Google BlackBerry apps require a data plan even over WiFi.
    10-06-10 11:01 AM
    All of the actual Google BlackBerry apps require a data plan even over WiFi.
    Why? Just set the "When to sync" option in Google Sync to Manual and sync only when connected to wifi. Maybe you can even modify the permissions for Google Sync to allow access only over wifi? I don't have wifi on my BB so I can't test that.
    10-06-10 11:15 AM
    That's how they are designed. They require a data plan.
    10-06-10 05:32 PM
    That's how they are designed. They require a data plan.
    Mmm... So GooSync and Google Sync won't work if I just have a wifi connection up and running. That would explain the error message I'm getting. Sucks
    10-08-10 05:08 PM
    For those interested in the same thing, turns out that Google provides a Windows utility that can sync Google Calendar with Outlook, which you can then sync with a Blackberry through USB using the Desktop Manager:

"Can I sync without having a data plan?"
    Can I sync without having a data plan? - Google Mobile Help

A bit tedious, but it does the job.

Thank you.
    10-08-10 05:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD