Google's Pixel is only sold through Google & Verizon, yet it works on all US mobile carriers. Why are BlackBerry's phones not made to work on all US moble carriers, like Pixel?

The ONLY BB10 phone that works with Sprint is the Q10. No phones phones released after the Q10, 3 & 1/2 years ago - the Leap, Classic, Passport, PRIV, & DTeks - work on CDMA networks. The Pixel does, apparently without permission. Why does BlackBerry give up that huge chunk of the US market? It's no wonder they can't sell enough phones to make a profit.

If someone with true knowledge can answer the question - maybe even someone from BlackBerry - I'd appreciate knowing why.

My Q10 is getting creaky & my patience with BlackBerry has been worn beyond thin. If I am going to be forced to use an Android phone, I will consider the Pixel before any BlackBerry flavors.
    Last edited by jospwr; 01-19-17 at 05:43 PM.
    01-19-17 05:14 PM
    Because BlackBerry sees no return on building for or working with CDMA clearly. And really, out of all the devices BlackBerry has built over the years, the majority of them actually do support CDMA. Only the DTEK50 and DTEK60 are among the 'popular' devices to not support it. BlackBerry has had a weird relationship with Verizon since the Storm days and Sprint is well.. Sprint.
    01-19-17 05:21 PM
    It costs money to put CDMA into phones, requiring either lowered profits or higher sale prices for phones. And if you don't have a deal with Verizon or Sprint to buy and support a certain minimum number of phones, then it doesn't make financial sense. CDMA carriers are as restrictive as they legally can be when it comes to accepting non-carrier phones/devices onto their networks, and the vast majority of Verizon customers buy their phones from Verizon.

So, if you can't get Verizon to carry your phone, it's pointless to build phones meant for their network.

It's not a "BlackBerry thing" as this has affected many, many phones over the years. Until legacy network tech (CDMA & GSM) goes away and we're all on LTE only, this isn't going to change. But we are heading that way at a pretty good pace.
    01-19-17 05:37 PM
    Thank you, Troy. That makes sense.

I guess that I will look into the Pixel.
    01-19-17 05:42 PM