A few days back I was in a Warehousing Conference and Exhibition. When I went through the conference agenda, it was totally brick and mortar companies related to logistics and warehousing with an exception of IBM with their Warehousing management software.

But on day 2, out of blue moon, Google came on stage with their Enterprise head presenting. The presentation was totally chest beating which I believe is their culture. Most of the slides are statistics showing quantum of search queries, smartphone market share, how Google helps lives. When he was presenting user statistics, though Google+ was on slide, he skipped it. Smart enough.He briefly talked about Nest, UberX and Airbnb and how innovation is nurtured by Google. The tone is like an Apple, like everything is invented by them.

Then he went on how Gmail is THE email standard and asked the attendees who are not using it. I quickly jumped on the opportunity and a few hands followed. Soon he resorted to the same tactic asking how many are using Android phone. A few raised. (As I noticed it 40/40 BlackBerry/iPhone and the rest Android). And when he asked about Google Now, nothing raised. He understood that he need to impress more and he did it if I gauge by all the nodding heads when he presented.

He did take dig at BlackBerry without calling names like he had explained to an enterprise client that security is not everything. Just locking and locking never works. You have to open up.

Ranting apart, What I saw as Google strategy:
    1. Google is trying to enter enterprise stage not by security as a backbone but the vast amount of information they hold
    2. They say instead of closing yourself, you need to open up not only with customer but also with employees.They are emphasizing on openness.
    3. Google has everything perfect for an enterprise like Gmail, Drive, Maps, Apps, G+. Just they need to converge to suit according to the need of enterprise.
    4. DO NOT discuss about security

The Bait is a beautifully decorated one and they know there are quite a lot of fishes wandering in the pond.

He closed the presentation with a video (of course via YouTube) of a local enterprise gone Google. Any CEO/CIO present there deep in his heart would have longed to feature in such a XYZ Gone Google video.

(What is interesting is that at the same time, inside exhibition floor on a cafe, another Google executive was explaining to low tier employees who are wandering in exhibition, about how Google is changing the enterprise side and how powerful it is)

To sum up, I don't think Google is thinking to compete with BlackBerry in security oriented enterprises, but for others they are coming in a BIG way.
    07-11-14 06:34 AM
    Like everything...the first big breach in security and they all come running back to Blackberry...

Posted via CB10
    web99 likes this.
    07-11-14 06:40 AM
    Like everything...the first big breach in security and they all come running back to Blackberry...

Posted via CB10
    Not sure. How many shy away from Windows due to their vulnerability of virus attack?
    Playbook007, JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    07-11-14 06:46 AM
    That is googles strategy as evident by Android L, make security "good enough" for the 80%... leave the 20% for BlackBerry

But yes, google is an analytics company, which is fed from user data, the more users, the more data, which gains you more users, which in turn gets you more data... etc etc

There are actually small startups in Toronto offering analytical data for small businesses, for instance how many people walk by your shop window vs. how many stop, and how long they stop for... so the new window display your tried, how effective was it?

These kinds of things are what Google is trying to corner the market on, which is obviously very valuable for any business big or small

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 09:13 AM
    Yes this is a different approach to enterprise than the one BB has. As someone else said, "good enough" security is what they want to achieve. They bring VERY VERY VERY good services for enterprises (BB isn't even close on that one), but BB has the security. I think how it will end up is Google get enterprises to buy into their services, but BB must make them buy into devices.
    07-11-14 09:37 AM

We've been waiting on this fortuitous occurrence for quite some time. I am fairly sure BBRY has abandoned that strategy a LONG time ago.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-11-14 11:05 AM
    Yes this is a different approach to enterprise than the one BB has. As someone else said, "good enough" security is what they want to achieve. They bring VERY VERY VERY good services for enterprises (BB isn't even close on that one), but BB has the security. I think how it will end up is Google get enterprises to buy into their services, but BB must make them buy into devices.
    I don't think buying BB devices will be a viable strategy once a business client goes all Google. Google will use the seamless syncing of Android/Chrome/Chrome OS and easy dual factor authentication using Android devices making buying Android hardware preferable for use reasons and security. OP is right, Google will go a different route to press enterprise adoption but the end effect will be the same.
    07-11-14 11:23 AM
    Not being in the agenda initially, but somewhat persuading the conference management to get an hour slot IMO is really aggressive. Their services apart, this aggressiveness will pay off.
    07-11-14 12:51 PM
    We've been waiting on this fortuitous occurrence for quite some time. I am fairly sure BBRY has abandoned that strategy a LONG time ago.
    I think Blackberry understands this, Crackberry does not.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    07-11-14 03:39 PM
    Gmail and G+ for business I am not sure companies will adapt to Google services. Many of them are still using Microsoft Office for their work tools.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 04:56 PM
    I think Blackberry understands this, Crackberry does not.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Who is crack berry? Genius

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 05:42 PM
    Who is crack berry? Genius

Posted via CB10
    People with tunnel vision.

Everything I say is my OPINION and is based on my experiences and what I have learned. It is not meant to attack but to drive meaningful conversation. Let's all be civil!
    07-11-14 07:55 PM
    People with tunnel vision.

Everything I say is my OPINION and is based on my experiences and what I have learned. It is not meant to attack but to drive meaningful conversation. Let's all be civil!
    That's subjective and accusatory my man!

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 08:59 PM
    That's subjective and accusatory my man!

Posted via CB10
    I think it's pretty straight forward and accurate. If you seriously look at the majority of posts on here, they do not match the strategy that Chen has laid out. He is not trying to take on iPhone and Android because he knows it's futile. He is attempting to carve out his own niche. While I have heard him make some comments about the other platforms, they are not based on hate but on making comparisons to show where he is going. He is advertising. He cannot afford to have tunnel vision like the previous CEO's or he will lose track of what is really important. Will it work? We don't know yet. But I do know simply hating on the platforms that are leading by miles will not.

07-12-14 07:23 AM
    I think that security is everything in business. As they say, your best offensive is a good defense. That said, having a good 80% security from Google isn't going to cut it for smart business or enterprise owners. They know that 100% guaranteed security from BlackBerry is the way to go, even if Google may have a better service in terms of data.

Posted via CB10
    spikesolie likes this.
    07-12-14 09:12 AM
    No serious company will ever say "good enough" they will want the best, go ask Aviva.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 09:19 AM
    I think that security is everything in business. As they say, your best offensive is a good defense. That said, having a good 80% security from Google isn't going to cut it for smart business or enterprise owners. They know that 100% guaranteed security from BlackBerry is the way to go, even if Google may have a better service in terms of data.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting.

Well have to see. As long as BBRY is taking it seriously (I think they are).

If companies wanted true 100% security, they'd all go Sectera, no?

So, in the end, it boils back down to affordability... to a degree. Point is that all commercial entities deal with "good enough" in some category or another.
    07-12-14 10:03 AM
    Gmail and G+ for business I am not sure companies will adapt to Google services. Many of them are still using Microsoft Office for their work tools.
    I imagine most are standardized on MSO, but interestingly, two of my last companies went all GMAIL and all Google Docs about the same time. There was some griping and moaning about it because of learning curve and compatibly with legacy files, but eventually it became pretty smooth. Both were mid-sized (500-1000 people) enterprises.

Something I never thought I'd see actually.
    07-12-14 11:02 AM
    Interesting thoughts. My arguments is 'Will enterprises go the same way as consumers by adopting openness above security?'

Definitely DoD or a law firm or defense firm can't think of this. But what about a apparel retail company or a beverage company? Before 2008, they had no option except RIM and RIM was the de-facto standard. But now?

Will BBRY has to get satisfied with only those enterprises who value security and privacy? I think they need to start thinking about alternative strategies for enterprises like how they are treating consumers with cheap phone(Z3) and apps via Amazon deal.

Just shouting security may not be 'good enough'.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-12-14 11:05 AM
    Interesting thoughts. My arguments is 'Will enterprises go the same way as consumers by adopting openness above security?'

Definitely DoD or a law firm or defense firm can't think of this. But what about a apparel retail company or a beverage company? Before 2008, they had no option except RIM and RIM was the de-facto standard. But now?

Will BBRY has to get satisfied with only those enterprises who value security and privacy? I think they need to start thinking about alternative strategies for enterprises like how they are treating consumers with cheap phone(Z3) and apps via Amazon deal.

With the very institutions you sighted as using the "good enough " theory. I would think seeing they collected personal sensitive data, that that mantra "good enough " would have gone out the door. For example Retail applications,Security issues that affected many Target Clients and other Big Box stores recently backs this. "Good enough " dealing with personal data just can't cut it! Further to this I would be very alarmed that Google is promoting this theory, which means, they readily admit to being an insecure platform and aren't doing much to further secure it's inefficiencies. BlackBerry is still considered the "Gold Standard " and that's not going to change anytime soon.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 07-12-14 at 06:32 PM.
    07-12-14 12:06 PM

I don't disagree.

I think BBRY understands this too, and is not only working to remain competitive all round, but is even proactively looking to be a solution for other platforms in the Enterprise space.
    07-12-14 12:18 PM
    With the very institutions you sighted as using the "good enough " theory. I would think seeing they collected personal sensitive data, that that mantra "good enough " would have gone out the door. For example Retail applications,Security issues that affected many Target Clients and other Big Box stores recently backs this. "Good enough " dealing with personal data just can't cut it! Further to this I would be very alarmed that Google is promoting this theory, which means, they readily admit to being an insecure platform and aren't doing much to further secure it's inefficiencies. BlackBerry is still considered the "Gold Standard " and that's not going to change anytime soon.

Posted via CB10
    Let us put this in a Demand-Supply situation where Google effectively manipulating the Demand according to what it can Supply. That's what I am reading.

In a Gone Google video, they showcased a cement company in which the CEO gleefully says that after mapping their sales force on a Google map, they understands their reach and also the opportunity ( those locations where there is no sales guy). They can effectively deploy sales teams even diverting their course towards high level clients. They would have even brought in their dealer network also in to the program. With countless Android devices out their in the wild, Google is in great advantage over selection of devices. Counter this with a BBRY argument that you need to put security in place, you should not put your resource mapping on a leak-prone network, end-to-end security matters etc etc. It pales.

I hope through Project Ion, BBRY understands this need and effectively place itself at par with Google in handling DATA while all the way ensuring privacy for the end user consumer.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-14-14 01:47 AM