https://techsecurity.news/2018/04/go...blackberry-10/

Looks like Google is working on their own micro kernel OS (Fuchsia) like QNX....Like BB10?

This should start some heated discussion as some may find this timely with bb10 being EOL. I’m sure BlackBerry is watching this closely.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    04-15-18 09:43 PM
    I’m sure BlackBerry is watching this closely.
    Patent lawyers on standby...
    04-15-18 09:52 PM
    Patent lawyers on standby...
    Patent from what?
    Micro kernel is very common as hybrid and monolithic.
    04-16-18 02:02 AM
    could brought BB 3 years ago with all the background work already done and much cheaper with existing experienced team (cheaper than silly valley salary and health care benefit)... I guess it is "not invented here" sympton... Just make sure not repeat the Java ... QNX is not open source (at least not yet... all the call for BB to open source BB10, are those Google japs on CB? Lawyers might take note of any linkage).
    04-16-18 07:37 AM
    Doh! That didn't take long. Well, Google poached Kliedermacher (aka Kernel Kliedermacher) from BlackBerry a few months ago, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/0...kleidermacher/
    Last edited by panopticon; 04-16-18 at 09:22 AM.
    cribble2k and anon(10218918) like this.
    04-16-18 08:00 AM
    Patent from what?
    Micro kernel is very common as hybrid and monolithic.
    Software patents are arbitrary enough to cover the very common things.
    04-16-18 09:21 AM
    could brought BB 3 years ago with all the background work already done and much cheaper with existing experienced team (cheaper than silly valley salary and health care benefit)... I guess it is "not invented here" sympton... Just make sure not repeat the Java ... QNX is not open source (at least not yet... all the call for BB to open source BB10, are those Google japs on CB? Lawyers might take note of any linkage).
    QNX will never be open source . I know ...they say never say never... but i'm saying it
    04-16-18 09:33 AM
    Agreed. In my view, QNX is one of BlackBerry's biggest, if not greatest, assets. I've always argued that the automotive industry is the last frontier for software like QNX. Once BlackBerry can figure out this IOT and get QNX into consumers' hands in places like the home, then that's when they can properly give BlackBerry 10, or its successor, a proper comeback. I dream.
    Marcus R likes this.
    04-16-18 04:15 PM
    This could be Googles way into the automotive sector to compete with QNX. Should be interesting to see what they do with it and if it ever gets into phones.
    04-16-18 05:47 PM
    Agreed. In my view, QNX is one of BlackBerry's biggest, if not greatest, assets. I've always argued that the automotive industry is the last frontier for software like QNX. Once BlackBerry can figure out this IOT and get QNX into consumers' hands in places like the home, then that's when they can properly give BlackBerry 10, or its successor, a proper comeback. I dream.
    Yes you do. QNX is in a lot of different areas now, and none of them have anything to do with BB10. Even if they do find themselves broadly in IOT, it won't have any semblance of BB10.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    04-16-18 07:23 PM
    So even Google realizes Android is a piece of .....fill-in the blank here.... that it has to mimic BlackBerry's QNX (bb10's mother) ? Why does wall street stand for this? Sounds like Wall street should just invest in a manufacturer willing to take on new bb10 models and end the Google play.
    Then again Sun's new owner Oracle are about to cash big on Google's usurption of JAVA for mobile without royalty payments to Sun.
    Don't get me wrong Android is a good funtime system (and a tinkerers trove) but not a serious runtime system like bb10 is.
    04-18-18 11:14 PM
    So even Google realizes Android is a piece of .....fill-in the blank here.... that it has to mimic BlackBerry's QNX (bb10's mother) ?
    LOL. No, Google (and Apple, who is working along the same lines) simply recognizes that hardware is steadily improving, and things like VR and AI will require more powerful OSs and apps. Unlike BB with BBOS, Google understands that things move forward and that you need to be planning for the future years before it actually arrives, or you get caught being unable to compete. Apple and Google aren't afraid to disrupt their own products with their own NEW products, because they realize that if they don't, someone else eventually will.

BB was the company that was unwilling to disrupt their own products - but that's because their business model was never about selling phones, which NEVER made BB any significant revenue; it was about Service Access Fees (SAFs) from BIS and BES, which is where almost all of BB's money came from. The carriers disrupted that business model by building faster data networks, and BB never had anything to replace that revenue.

Why does wall street stand for this?
    Stand for what? Companies that consistently deliver substantial returns on investment?

Sounds like Wall street should just invest in a manufacturer willing to take on new bb10 models and end the Google play.
    Because... Wall Street should be looking to lose more billions of dollars?

Do you even know what Wall Street does?
    Carjackd, Mecca EL, TGR1 and 2 others like this.
    04-19-18 12:43 PM
    LOL. No, Google (and Apple, who is working along the same lines) simply recognizes that hardware is steadily improving, and things like VR and AI will require more powerful OSs and apps. Unlike BB with BBOS, Google understands that things move forward and that you need to be planning for the future years before it actually arrives, or you get caught being unable to compete. Apple and Google aren't afraid to disrupt their own products with their own NEW products, because they realize that if they don't, someone else eventually will.

BB was the company that was unwilling to disrupt their own products - but that's because their business model was never about selling phones, which NEVER made BB any significant revenue; it was about Service Access Fees (SAFs) from BIS and BES, which is where almost all of BB's money came from. The carriers disrupted that business model by building faster data networks, and BB never had anything to replace that revenue.

Stand for what? Companies that consistently deliver substantial returns on investment?

Because... Wall Street should be looking to lose more billions of dollars?

Do you even know what Wall Street does?
    Yes, Wall Street in this business case is there to disrupt Google's attempt to develop something that already exists, namely BB10. Wall Street likes to go with the FLOW (or revenue) as well as BB10 (lol)
    04-19-18 01:11 PM
    Yes, Wall Street in this business case is there to disrupt Google's attempt to develop something that already exists, namely BB10. Wall Street likes to go with the FLOW (or revenue) as well as BB10 (lol)
    There are a lot of micro kernel-based operating systems that are not BB10 or QNX.

You think BlackBerry has some kind of monopoly on the micro kernel?

Hardly.
    04-19-18 01:43 PM
    Wall Street hated BB10, and has exactly zero reason to be negative about Google developing a new OS. Google has already made 2 successful commercial OSs that have made countless billions for investors - Android and Chrome OS.

As I said before, what made money for BB was always SAFs, and never smartphones or smartphone OSs - and carriers have every reason not to let anyone repeat that business model.
    04-19-18 02:12 PM
    Wall Street hated BB10, and has exactly zero reason to be negative about Google developing a new OS. Google has already made 2 successful commercial OSs that have made countless billions for investors - Android and Chrome OS.

As I said before, what made money for BB was always SAFs, and never smartphones or smartphone OSs - and carriers have every reason not to let anyone repeat that business model.
    Watch out WALL STREET Google may be planning (or Facebook, or an android app) on disrupting you next, by analyzing your online and offline activities... going through your contacts, your photos, your messages, your called numbers..and do your vitual activity number crunching.....all anonymously of course, because apparantly you gave it permission to do so.
    BB10 doesn't model you or crunch you (Google services)...and could be made even better...and it flows..keeping some parts private, after all private property is still private property, even if the current players don't respect that. Sounds like a market distinguishing opportunity worthy of a re-examine. Not everyone cares...but not everyone is everyone. So yes Google can chug along....but there comes a time when being a monopoly position in a symbolic duopoly causes problems.
    04-19-18 02:50 PM
    There are a lot of micro kernel-based operating systems that are not BB10 or QNX.

You think BlackBerry has some kind of monopoly on the micro kernel?

Hardly.
    There are a few, none of them except BlackBerry's micro-kernel architechure QNX based BB10 is on the Smartphone. First one there gets to ride shot-gun.(lol)
    04-19-18 02:53 PM

Correction: The OS's didn't make them billions, the user profiling and packaging and reselling made them billions, the OS's were just the mean's or tools to do the gathering.
    04-19-18 02:58 PM
    Correction: The OS's didn't make them billions, the user profiling and packaging and reselling made them billions, the OS's were just the mean's or tools to do the gathering.
    Indeed. The only thing that makes money for Google is data collection and ad spam. Everything else is just a cover.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-18 04:03 PM
    BB10 doesn't model you or crunch you.
    Nor does BB10 bother you with new devices or further development.
    MikeX74, TGR1, glwerry and 3 others like this.
    04-19-18 04:17 PM
    OUCH!!!
    Mecca EL likes this.
    04-19-18 04:36 PM
    OUCH!!!
    Yeah that was my reaction when I loaded my first andriod app, or got delayed by the inundation of hooks to the formerly quick desktop web browsing experience.
    04-19-18 05:21 PM
    Actually that bb10 is currently no longer planned for new devices. Now that does bother me.
    04-19-18 05:24 PM
    Personally I think it's quite possible it's going to be very similar to BB10 gestures and how the OS simply works. Smooth flowing and HUB access. Here hoping of course.

Those that think there might be a litigation issue coming? No there won't be IMO. Big IF, this has anything BB10 in it, BlackBerry and Google most likely coordinated it. Somewhat as a payment of some sort.
    04-20-18 07:25 AM
    Personally I think it's quite possible it's going to be very similar to BB10 gestures and how the OS simply works. Smooth flowing and HUB access. Here hoping of course.

Those that think there might be a litigation issue coming? No there won't be IMO. Big IF, this has anything BB10 in it, BlackBerry and Google most likely coordinated it. Somewhat as a payment of some sort.
    There is nothing "BB10 in it". Guaranteed.
    04-20-18 07:33 AM
27 12