I am planning on upgrading soon to the 9700 (from an 8820). I have been experimenting with various methods for OTA sync for some time now and have tried just about everything (including google sync, which i did not like), the best of which was paying for exchange hosting w/ bes for a few months - but in the end it wasnt worth $20 per month to me. I am just finishing up my trial of Astrasync, which seems to work really well for me. I am not going to extend my trial if OS 5.0 includes a useful ota sync.

My question is this: It is my understanding that with OS 5.0 and Gmail, you can sync your contacts OTA, is there any speculation that this feature will be extended to include calendar sync as well?

Is anyone using this native sync feature? How is it working?
    02-02-10 01:25 AM
    What don't you like about Google sync? I've been using it for a long time, first on my 8330 and then on my 9550. When I switch phones I loaded the sync app and all my contacts and calender appeared flawlessly on my new phone. I haven't found any downside to it yet.
    02-02-10 01:35 AM
    I found google sync to be slow and unreliable.
    02-02-10 01:49 AM
    I've tried both and recommend Google Sync for reliability
    02-02-10 02:06 AM
    I didn't really get along with Google sync either. I'm not saying it isn't good for some people, but I didn't like it. I didn't find it to integrate well with other functions of the device. My contacts and calendar were somewhat in disarray after I used Google sync. I'm also not fond of the Google plug-in. So I scrapped it. If the OP likes to use Google, then you may want to get an Android device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-10 03:15 AM
    g sync is perfectly reliable,atleast I'm pretty satisfoed with it.
    02-02-10 09:30 AM
    Thanks everyone but my original questions still stands.
    02-02-10 03:30 PM
    Don't know if these links will help. I had google sync problems also with not syncing to Outlook and double entries.

Ken

Google Sync on OS 5.0 (Bold) - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

Google Sync for your phone
    02-02-10 07:18 PM
    ... My question is this: It is my understanding that with OS 5.0 and Gmail, you can sync your contacts OTA, is there any speculation that this feature will be extended to include calendar sync as well?

Is anyone using this native sync feature? How is it working?
    I've not paid much attention to the OS 5.0 talk, but if there is a native sync feature for contacts then I really missed it. My limited view has been that the BIS still only handles messages, and that you'd need Google Sync (or similar s/w) to sync contacts and/or calendars.
    02-03-10 02:13 PM
    Straight from blackberry.com/gmail...

Features

* Archive your emails
    * Report spam messages
    * Organize your messages by applying labels and stars
    * Search all your Gmail/Google Mail emails directly from your BlackBerry smartphone
    * Find related messages with the conversation view
    * Import Gmail contacts quickly and easily on the device over the air*
    * Continuous data synchronization
    02-04-10 12:54 PM
    I noticed yesterday on my BIS web site (ATT) that it now offered wireless contacts sync. I checked "ok" but haven't really looked into it yet since I'm using google sync atm. It syncs both contacts and calendar, and doing them with aplomb for now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-10 01:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD