Any thoughts on which is a better option?

Using Google Sync app to sync all my contacts and 3 of my Google calendars?

Or

Using the BIS integrated (contacts and calendar) options for my Gmail account?

Currently using Sync and all seems fine, just wondering which is better and if the Sync app is even needed?

Thanks!
    02-08-11 06:16 PM
    I have used Sync for 2+ years. It works great for multiple calendars. I don't know if the BIS option allows that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-11 06:18 PM
    I have used Sync for 2+ years. It works great for multiple calendars. I don't know if the BIS option allows that.
    So do you "uncheck" contacts and calendar sync options through the BIS email account for Gmail?
    02-08-11 06:22 PM
    Yes, I do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-11 06:24 PM
    I have it setup that way on my BB Tour and it works flawlessly. However, on my wife's Curve 8530, the Google Sync app keeps giving errors when i try to sync. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several time. Even followed advice on Google's site about "resetting the firewall prompts" and editing permissions. No luck! The BIS sync through the actual Gmail account does work though. Anyone come across this recently and know a fix? Thanks!
    02-08-11 06:46 PM
    Back up through DM, and give this a shot.

Get all events and contacts into her Google account online.

Delete Google Sync.

Remove all contact entries and calendar entries on device.

Re-install Google Sync and give it another shot.

Sometimes emailed calendar invitations don't place nice with Google Sync. I always delete these immediately from my device and add through Google.
    anon(5140585) likes this.
    02-08-11 06:52 PM
    I stopped using Gsync after the last BIS update.

It won't allow you to sync multiple calendars on its own so I came with an workaround: add those emails to the device and (if necessary) set filters not to push emails.

Gsync will give you the options to sync as many calendars as you want, but they all go into the same device calendar, thus, they have the sam color, which makes it quite messe something that's supposed to help you organize.
    02-08-11 07:05 PM

Delete Google Sync.

Sometimes emailed calendar invitations don't place nice with Google Sync. I always delete these immediately from my device and add through Google.
    I will give this a shot, and post my results.
    02-08-11 07:31 PM

Delete Google Sync.

no1: thanks! it worked like a charm. deleted the contact, reinstalled sync... fantastic!
    02-08-11 07:58 PM
    I've been using sync and the gmail app because I really dont like the bb mail app
    02-08-11 08:15 PM
    on my 9700 i was using sync but with my 9650 i am using the integrated gmail. i am deciding which i like best. so far i am enjoying the integrated gmail and bis
    02-08-11 09:42 PM
    I use Google Sync and currently sync 3 different calendars flawlessly. One thing that GSync allows that BIS doesn't... You can choose how many weeks ahead to sync, and how many weeks to retain, within limits.

And the points above by no1 are spot on. I use that any time I have someone who's sync has gotten mucked up somehow and it always works.

Another thing that seems to work well. Keep you web Gmail Calendar and Contacts as the "master". Make your big changes and corrections there and life will be easier. You can also export both before doing anything drastic and have a safe backup in case of something bad happening.
    02-09-11 07:12 AM
    on my 9700 i was using sync but with my 9650 i am using the integrated gmail. i am deciding which i like best. so far i am enjoying the integrated gmail and bis
    does the integrated sync ALL your gmail calendars? or just your main calendar?

UPDATE: I have just removed the GSYNC and used the integrated version does not sync all contact details, such as birthdays and addresses.... just an FYI! i will be going back to GSYNC.
    Last edited by xmatter; 02-09-11 at 07:46 AM.
    02-09-11 07:34 AM
    It won't allow you to sync multiple calendars on its own so I came with an workaround: add those emails to the device and (if necessary) set filters not to push emails.

Gsync will give you the options to sync as many calendars as you want, but they all go into the same device calendar, thus, they have the sam color, which makes it quite messe something that's supposed to help you organize.
    Reading all replies to your post really helps pal.
    02-09-11 07:46 AM
    Reading all replies to your post really helps pal.
    I did read that thanks! Since GSYNC allows you to "select" what calendars you want to sync, i figured maybe the integrated version was smart enough to sync all your calendars automatically (without having to select each one) and throw all items into the same BB calendar.
    02-09-11 07:51 AM
    Using the integrated sync kept giving me duplicate contacts, the google sync app doesn't.
    02-09-11 09:30 AM
    I was about to start my own thread about this (but had the noodle to do a search first!)... I tried using the Messages Sync feature of my 9300 but my calendar didn't want to sync to the device (the e-mail works perfectly)... I also keep the GMail app if I want that "little bit extra" from my e-mail experience - but find the Messages list OK for 90% of my needs. Grouping similar messages in the list certainly helps.

I'm using Google Sync on a single calendar which also talks to Thunderbird/Lightning on my home PC so if I set events either at home, on the train or on another computer - I'm up-to-date. I've got Google Sync on the standard 2hr update but you can easily force an update using the menu option.

My contacts aren't touched by either E-Mail or Sync - my phone contacts are just numbers, not e-mails. I have about 300 address - it got too confusing as the number entries don't have e-mails and the e-mail entries don't have numbers. Hence why I keep the GMail app to hand - I can write a fresh e-mail and grab the address book from there.
    02-10-11 03:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD