Simply put, google is simply disallowing SD Cards from storing apps.,nothing more nothing less. Only Windows Phone allows you to store apps on SD card now. IOs, no discussion, Android and BB10. Only Media. So there's no diff btw android and BB in this case
    05-05-14 12:41 AM
    Look over the fence. What's the difference in price between a 16GB iDevice and a 64GB? $200? Now how much does it actually cost to put that extra memory in?

It's a pure margin, planned obsolescence move. People who are used to SD cards will buy the cheap 16GB devices, realize they fill up quick and next time spend the extra cash for more storage. Instead of spending $50ish (I got 64GB for $40 around Christmas!) with the options to buy more, you spend $200 for less storage (64GB vs 80GB with SD) and Google collects all of the $200.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 01:24 AM
    Google isn’t trying to obfuscate the file system completely, but in order to secure Android for the next billion people, and ensure that OEMs and app developers utilize external storage in prescribed, predictable ways, these enforcement changes were deemed necessary.
    Google has made it impossible for developers to store content outside of a single pre-determined folder. That means that apps that relied on storing content in multiple places prior to KitKat have had to change their methods, or remove SD support entirely. While apps can store their own content in that folder, according to the new rules it will be deleted when the app is uninstalled.
    Sounds like all Google is doing what they need to do to get developers on the same page in how the SD card is used Did not see anywhere that Google or Samsung said anything about eliminating SD Card Support. Sticking some comments from one developer in the article and implying that this is a step to removing the SD Card..... is just bad journalism.

Please go read the article the OP posted for yourself.
    05-05-14 08:33 AM
    Cloud is fine if you have unlimited wifi everywhere. I just can't see constant data use for something that could use no data when stored on the device itself.
    bob_tn likes this.
    05-05-14 09:12 AM
    With many games and apps running into the music gigabyte territory they better be considering bigger storage capacity built in to these devices.

It can tedious when you want to download a new app but have no memory.
    Cloud services won't be a fix for this issue that many have.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and keepthetorch like this.
    05-05-14 09:43 AM
    who are these people you speak of? are they in this thread?
    They must be. Amazing how many non-BB device users (not dual platform ones) have 98+% of their posts on CB and not on their respective forums. It must be the 98% caring or concerned so much about the 1%.
    05-05-14 10:00 AM
    Completely disagree. Micro SD gives people options that cloud service/USD can't provide. Ease of use, port ability, greater security, independence from Internet connection.

Further, I simply don't trust Google's motives. They clearly don't respect people's privacy and have made it perfectly clear that they will data mine everyone scrap of information you unwillingly provide them. Just read their policies and procedures.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly, it's really not that hard to see that it's part of a push for everyone to put their data online. There's no such thing as ur data being inaccessible online either, completely relying on cloud services just makes it easier to 'go through your stuff'

CB10 via Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2228
    05-05-14 10:07 AM
    Sounds like some good big brother stuff to me.
    05-05-14 10:15 AM
    Giving the user less choice by going the Apple route.

Hmm, I really can't see how this could be a good thing.

Posted via CB10
    It doesn't seem to have harmed Apple any.
    05-05-14 10:31 AM
    So let me guess -- you are never where there is not a stable, high-speed data connection but need access to something, right?

And the 1/20th of the storage on a card being free in your phone is "enough", right?

No?

Well there you go -- and we haven't discussed the security issue yet.
    05-05-14 10:31 AM
    Look over the fence. What's the difference in price between a 16GB iDevice and a 64GB? $200? Now how much does it actually cost to put that extra memory in?

It's a pure margin, planned obsolescence move. People who are used to SD cards will buy the cheap 16GB devices, realize they fill up quick and next time spend the extra cash for more storage. Instead of spending $50ish (I got 64GB for $40 around Christmas!) with the options to buy more, you spend $200 for less storage (64GB vs 80GB with SD) and Google collects all of the $200.

Posted via CB10
    Certainly not defending Apple here, but its hard to compare the price of SD memory to that of a phones internal memory. I bought a 64gig class-10 SD card for my q10 for $30.. BUT it would certainly cost more than $30 to get 64gigs of internal phone memory, whether its BB internal memory or Apple..

SD card is a serial SPI interface limited to 25-50 MHz and bottlenecked by a SD-NAND controller chip in the SD card.

Internal memory is native NAND in parallel running at the maximum speed of the NAND. Also, internal memory may use multiple NAND chips in parallel for higher speeds, while an SD card is limited to 2 chips at most.

In other words SD cards are well known to be very slow.

Really, there is use for both , SD is excellent for secondary memory; you dont need crazy fast memory to store media, so thats an excellent purpose for an SD card slot. With the SD card used for media, you can save your faster more expensive internal memory for the OS, apps, etc..
    05-05-14 01:14 PM
    What in the world are people going on about?

Google is basically making it to where you can't store your applications on the SD card unless you are rooted. That already can't be done on BlackBerry 10. So why are people here freaking out about it? IF Google is trying to force people to the cloud by doing this, than I take it BlackBerry is already ahead of them since it now works the same way on both platforms pretty much.

If you're on KitKat and you haven't rooted, you won't be able to move apps to the SD card and apps wont be able to write to a folder that it isn't installed in, but you'll still be able to use the SD card for storage for documents, music, images and videos and so on. I don't see anything about what Google is doing that would suggest that that is about to change. So rest easy everyone, Android is just becoming more limited in the same sense that BlackBerry 10 has always been limited. Nothing to worry about.
    05-05-14 01:18 PM
    So let me guess -- you are never where there is not a stable, high-speed data connection but need access to something, right?

And the 1/20th of the storage on a card being free in your phone is "enough", right?

No?

Well there you go -- and we haven't discussed the security issue yet.
    Both problems solved by bigger capacity internal storage.
    05-05-14 01:19 PM
    Which you cannot go out and get a competitive bid on (as you can with SD cards)

Gee, what's Apple's history with pricing on that proprietary, single-source choice?
    05-05-14 01:40 PM
    Which usually requires the user to pay through the nose for something a SD card would have done for cheaper.
    bob_tn and raino like this.
    05-05-14 01:41 PM
    I feel that far more users lose their data due to user error involving local storage than due to cloud service hacking or outages.

How many devices are lost or stolen? How many devices end up in toilets? How many threads have been created by users with failed or corrupted microSD cards?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-05-14 02:02 PM
    Just because Android is preventing one app from scanning data in other app's directories doesn't mean that Google is eliminating SD support in Android. They're simply increasing security. Funny how people here complain about Android being "insecure" and then also complain when security issues are corrected. You can't have it both ways.
    Hmmmm not buying that security argument. If security's what Google's really after, it took them up to 4.4.2 to figure out how to start the slow kill in favor of their cloud services make SD card access more secure? The fact that they haven't had a Nexus device with an SD slot since the Nexus One must just be a weird coincidence, nothing pointing towards their preference for pushing their own cloud services/general dislike for the technology.

And since we're discussing security, why did they 86 App Ops, or let me phrase that in a way questioning their response: why did they not work on App Ops so that it was no longer "experimental" when 4.4.2 was released?

With many games and apps running into the music gigabyte territory they better be considering bigger storage capacity built in to these devices.
    Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 128GB MicroSDXC Class 10/UHS-1 Memory Card Speed Up To 30MB/s With Adapter- SDSDQUA-128G-G46A: Computers & Accessories
    05-05-14 02:17 PM
    I feel that far more users lose their data due to user error involving local storage than due to cloud service hacking or outages.

How many devices are lost or stolen? How many devices end up in toilets? How many threads have been created by users with failed or corrupted microSD cards?
    The solution to all of this does not have to be diminished SD card support. It's completely possible to fully support SD cards in the OS and not limit the users' options, while offering cloud based back-up services. If you stub you toe, you don't cut off your foot. You ice it and carry on.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-05-14 02:21 PM
    The solution to all of this does not have to be diminished SD card support. It's completely possible to fully support SD cards in the OS and not limit the users' options, while offering cloud based back-up services. If you stub you toe, you don't cut off your foot. You ice it and carry on.

I agree with you.

My point isn't that microSD support should be eliminated, rather that local storage isn't as good as people make it sound. Local storage can be great if one is knowledgeable about backups. I'd guess that the average consumer doesn't do any type of backup much less even know what a differential and incremental backup is.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    raino likes this.
    05-05-14 02:26 PM
    I view it more along the lines of ---

Hi, I am from the government and I am here to help you.
    05-05-14 02:33 PM
    Hmmmm not buying that security argument. If security's what Google's really after, it took them up to 4.4.2 to figure out how to start the slow kill in favor of their cloud services make SD card access more secure? The fact that they haven't had a Nexus device with an SD slot since the Nexus One must just be a weird coincidence, nothing pointing towards their preference for pushing their own cloud services/general dislike for the technology.

And since we're discussing security, why did they 86 App Ops, or let me phrase that in a way questioning their response: why did they not work on App Ops so that it was no longer "experimental" when 4.4.2 was released?

Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 128GB MicroSDXC Class 10/UHS-1 Memory Card Speed Up To 30MB/s With Adapter- SDSDQUA-128G-G46A: Computers & Accessories
    That memory card will work for music and files you put on your device from another source no their app store.
    The problem remains when it comes to no SD card support which is what I was addressing. From what I've gathered the newer version of android doesnt allow for it.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 03:03 PM
    That memory card will work for music and files you put on your device from another source no their app store.
    The problem remains when it comes to no SD card support which is what I was addressing. From what I've gathered the newer version of android doesnt allow for it.
    Right. The problem is the OS, not the lack of options when it comes to microSD cards (I mean...in a few days, when this card starts shipping )
    05-05-14 03:08 PM
    My point isn't that microSD support should be eliminated, rather that local storage isn't as good as people make it sound. Local storage can be great if one is knowledgeable about backups. I'd guess that the average consumer doesn't do any type of backup much less even know what a differential and incremental backup is.
    Fully agree about backups. People are way too lazy, if not outright careless about their backups. I have my microSD card backed up on two separate computers, not to mention additional redundancy in the form of individual files saved here and there (i.e. not as part of the "microSD backup" collection.) But IMO, microSD cards will always be more portable than cloud based offerings if both are given an equal chance. Accessing the cloud everywhere is not an option for everyone (costs, connection stability/latency, etc.)
    05-05-14 03:27 PM
    Ooook this explains why my note 3 stopped recognizing the SD as writable in titaniumbackup. Just before updating/rooting I saved all my apps data in the SD using titaniumbackup then after I did that I couldn't do anymore backups in the same card.
    The card is a SD extreme pro, I'm real cheesed that I can't do backups in the SD now.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 03:49 PM
    Further, I simply don't trust Google's motives. They clearly don't respect people's privacy and have made it perfectly clear that they will data mine everyone scrap of information you unwillingly provide them. Just read their policies and procedures.
    Careful... if you admit distrust of Google 'round here, you'll get pounced by the 'Paranoid!' police.
    lift likes this.
    05-05-14 04:26 PM
105 12345