I was reading this post from mobilesyrup this morning:
    Google, Samsung and the fight for the microSD slot | MobileSyrup.com

It's interesting to see how Google is trying to reduce the support for SD card. Many OEMs appear to be getting rid of microSD cards. I've always considered having microSD support as great value. I do question why they are saying that it's in order to improve security.
    05-04-14 06:59 AM
    I question the whole "security" argument too.

Our BlackBerries and androids allows us to encrypt our sd cards, isnt that more that enough security?

I feel that they just want to sell their cloud services and want you to rely on their "free" services more, there's are pros and cons to this.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    05-04-14 07:05 AM
    it's in order to improve "pay our streaming media subscription rather than use your own media you've already paid for" revenue security for Google.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 07:06 AM
    doesnt bother me really. my 32 GBs has done me fine. I can see good arguments on both sides but cloud storage is becoming increasing easy to find for free or minimal fee. USB on the go also is a big plus
    mikeo007 and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-04-14 07:11 AM
    Completely disagree. Micro SD gives people options that cloud service/USD can't provide. Ease of use, port ability, greater security, independence from Internet connection.

Further, I simply don't trust Google's motives. They clearly don't respect people's privacy and have made it perfectly clear that they will data mine everyone scrap of information you unwillingly provide them. Just read their policies and procedures.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 07:35 AM
    doesnt bother me really. my 32 GBs has done me fine. I can see good arguments on both sides but cloud storage is becoming increasing easy to find for free or minimal fee. USB on the go also is a big plus
    What is cloud storage? Who has all your photos/docs/information. What if it just disappears? Bankruptcy, fire, sale to another company etc. I will personally never use the cloud.

Posted via CB10
    ChanceCamino, lift, acovey and 4 others like this.
    05-04-14 07:48 AM
    I personally don't trust the cloud 100% after the Great Sidekick Outage of 2009. However, I also realized that happened due to negligence and mishandling of a service that Microsoft didn't really care about anymore. The current cloud offerings have way more to lose should an incident like that happen again, and I'm sure the companies that host them have tons of resources to keep something like that from happening. I don't keep my eggs in one basket though. I have my stuff backed up on two cloud services ad well as my laptop.

As far as fewer and fewer android devices offering SD support, I'm not thrilled about it but at the same time it's not a deal breaker for me. My current android device has 32gb internal storage (about 24gb useable) and I currently have 17.5gb not being used.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-04-14 08:06 AM
    Cloud storage may be fine for some. Especially if they live or only travel in areas where data service is strong.
    Not everyone is in this category.
    I prefer having an SD card to keep my data local.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 08:17 AM
    Giving the user less choice by going the Apple route.

Hmm, I really can't see how this could be a good thing.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 08:47 AM
    One more move looking good for Google and a loss for the consumer.

Via CB10. Bits, C000C6078 for links to science and technology posts and world news.
    theRock1975 likes this.
    05-04-14 09:11 AM
    I was reading this post from mobilesyrup this morning:
    Google, Samsung and the fight for the microSD slot | MobileSyrup.com

It's interesting to see how Google is trying to reduce the support for SD card. Many OEMs appear to be getting rid of microSD cards. I've always considered having microSD support as great value. I do question why they are saying that it's in order to improve security.
    They are trying to contain the data to only be visible to the particular app. (AppData)

Say you have an app that stores personal information, you wouldn't want another app that has access to the SD Card to snoop all over the memory card and into the space of other apps. Most developers don't encrypt data at all. The just write plaintext xml or to a C Struct. Yes Android security is THAT bad.

Don't count on then getting Fips certifications even with AppData containment.

Blackberry got you covered though,even if you got a couple of them apks.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 09:17 AM
    I don't like using cloud storage. I want access to my stuff without the need for an Internet connection. I also don't particularly like "sharing" yet even more of my information or things with corporations.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 09:17 AM
    This is not a good development. If Android drops SD cards, what do you think will happen to the price of SD cards to us remaining BlackBerry users? Hopefully they can find enough reasons to keep them around so that we can all benefit.
    05-04-14 09:34 AM
    This infuriates me. I'm already frustrated that they are locking them down with ridiculous things like Knox, now no SD card? I've always loved Android, it was my first ever smartphone.

They just are going in a direction that's against what made me love them from the start...

�Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk�
    05-04-14 09:41 AM
    Problem with streaming on a tiered data plan becomes fairly obvious when you see you have overages.
    castano22 likes this.
    05-04-14 09:49 AM
    This infuriates me. I'm already frustrated that they are locking them down with ridiculous things like Knox, now no SD card? I've always loved Android, it was my first ever smartphone.

They just are going in a direction that's against what made me love them from the start...

�Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk�
    The way Google is taking Android made me leave them for BlackBerry. They're definitely trying to take complete control of the Android OS. I doubt they even want to support AOSP, but have no choice to support it because they would loose practically all their developers.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    05-04-14 10:12 AM
    Problem with streaming on a tiered data plan becomes fairly obvious when you see you have overages.
    That's why I only use cloud services when I'm home. Other than that. They're practically worthless on my tiered plan

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 10:13 AM
    I question the whole "security" argument too.

Our BlackBerries and androids allows us to encrypt our sd cards, isnt that more that enough security?
    Encryption is for privacy not security.
    They are 2 different things.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    05-04-14 10:14 AM
    If I can avoid having my data in the cloud and on my own private SD card then I'll take that any day.

By removing SD card support all Google is doing is removing choice from the consumer.

I fail to see how less choice is a positive.

This is such an apple move. Next Google will remove micro USB support too.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 10:25 AM
    It seems like a backwards step. On my phone right now (Z30), I have 12g of apps, 21g of video, 16 g of music, and 1.2 g pictures. That is after moving pictures and videos to a backup drive 2 months ago.

I could use USBTG for the movies on my phone, but not as convenient.

Hopefully BlackBerry doesn?t follow suit.

Posted via CB10 on the great Z30
    web99 likes this.
    05-04-14 10:55 AM
    There's nothing inherently unsecure about the cloud. After all, don't most of us store our money in the cloud? Or, does everyone here keep everything in cash and gold bullion? At some point the cloud becomes more secure than physical storage just like your checking account balance is more secure than bundles of cash hidden in your mattress.

The article outlines some good reasons why Google is eliminating SD card support. Performance is at best unpredictable and, at worst, crash-prone when the right card isn't in there. Determining what storage device to use is problematic for the non-techie user. The security issues probably arise from the same issues that PCs have with USB flash drives.

I know that most of us grew up storing data on external media. I've used cassette tapes, 5.25" and 3.5" floppy discs, tape drives, hard drives and flash drives. However, there's a generation of computer users who have never had to bother with any of these and, at some point, they will become the majority. External memory devices are going away sooner rather than later.
    05-04-14 11:07 AM
    Seems like google wants to take android to more like Apple. I for one LOVE having a good file manager and SD cards. I use it all the time, today for instance I quickly encrypted my passwords from my "password keeper" app and moved it to my SD Card easily. If google want to restrict and dumb down android, its a real attack on their loyal hardcore base that has supported it from the get go.
    05-04-14 11:15 AM
    Cloud services are nice. Google drive is actually very convenient for sharing those huge files. And once you lose your phone with a memory card, nothing can help you out. That constant fear of your data in bad hands will keep eating you up, unless and until its encrypted.
    However you just have to make sure that your account is secure enough and you don't upload your 'too personal' images or files.
    I never filled more than 500mb on my 16gb moto. That too only music. Watching movies on phone just doesn't feel right

Last edited by puneet7073; 05-04-14 at 12:17 PM.
    05-04-14 11:16 AM
    The cloud is great in most cases, but not always. I have movies I downloaded from BlackBerry World that I play at my cabin. Loading them and playing them from the cloud where I'm on data and not wifi would be expensive. I like having the SD card, and I like that I can add one for cheaper than the incremental cost increases Apple charges on their phones for similar storage. I also like being able to remove the card. If my phone is stolen, I'm my case, the thief will get a few movies and some random pics and files.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 11:24 AM
    Agree with majority of posters in favor of SD cards and most of the reasons provided.

I need my files with me and I need to swap them with other devices (portable or otherwise) when on the go. My data plan tier gets throttled back after a certain threshold.

MicroSD cards are now 128GB in capacity. Internal memory of my Android device? 5GB usable.

I like my coffee BlackBerry Black! What?
    theRock1975 likes this.
    05-04-14 11:43 AM
105 123 ...