It does have street view... I've used it.
    i dont think it does. where do you see it?
    01-15-09 03:37 PM
    Yup it does, I've used it too. If you click on the map a menu appears, one option of which is Street View (greyed out if not available at location).

Like this:
    Last edited by alterastro; 01-15-09 at 04:25 PM.
    01-15-09 04:12 PM
    No dice on the internal GPS. It works fine with BB Maps since Verizon enabled that application, but I don't think any other app (other than VZnavigator of course) will work with the internal one at this time.
    There are many apps that work...Nav4all, Weatherbug, Garmin, TeleNav, and Instamapper are four that I know of.
    01-15-09 04:16 PM
    Sooo I just noticed something. Out of curiosity I switched my signal from 1XEV to just GSM only and google maps picked me up within 20 meters. Thats alot better than the 5000 meter range it was giving me on 1XEV. My phone is not unlocked but I figured I'd just give it a try. Anyone else have a take on this?

Edit: 10 meters now and it was immediately after i opened google maps!
    01-15-09 04:33 PM
    Okay, sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys, been a busy day. Still is, but I need a break.

So -- something hinky is going on.

First, appreciate that it was 18 degrees here last night, as I stood still at a busy intersection for 5 minutes (getting weird looks) to get a GPS lock.

And I did get a lock. There was a happy little blue dot "within 5 meters" of my location. No radius.

After it locked, I started my walk to the Metro (DC subway), and Mr. Blue Dot tracked me precisely.

Here is where the hinky kicked in. After I had walked about half a block, Mr. Blue Dot suddenly jumped to a spot on the map that was a good 5 blocks from my location. I hit "my location" again, and now "GPS is temporarily unavailable." (I'm still above ground, mind you, with a clear view to the sky on all sides). And triangulation is off, since I thinks I'm several blocks from where I am.

I'm perplexed. So I did the rational thing, and I tried again. Walked back to the intersection where I got the lock. Waited for another 5 minutes, freezing. No joy. It wouldn't lock again. Sometimes the message changed to "waiting on GPS..." but that was as close as it got.

I am not able to explain this. I didn't try it again this morning because 1) I was late and 2) it was still only 18 degrees.

I wonder if somehow some of my aGPS calls are getting by Verizon? Perhaps my BES has something to do with it?

And no, I don't subscribe to VZNAZ -- I deleted it.
    01-15-09 04:38 PM
    Sooo I just noticed something. Out of curiosity I switched my signal from 1XEV to just GSM only and google maps picked me up within 20 meters. Thats alot better than the 5000 meter range it was giving me on 1XEV. My phone is not unlocked but I figured I'd just give it a try. Anyone else have a take on this?

I tried this and my position looks as accurate as regular GPS. However, my signal switches to the red SOS which means I lose the data connection. I'm on Verizon running .86.

I just noticed I get the SIM Card Rejected, too, so I guess it's time for a battery pull. Still, it's very interesting that it seems like it might be working on GSM but not 1XEV.
    Last edited by ckevinm; 01-15-09 at 05:10 PM.
    01-15-09 05:06 PM
    I tried this and my position looks as accurate as regular GPS. However, my signal switches to the red SOS which means I lose the data connection. I'm on Verizon running .86.
    Mine does too, when I check the service status I'm on T-mob. I figure maybe there might be a way to get a gps lock if we have it set to global. This probably has been discovered before but eh, might as well see if something can happen.
    01-15-09 05:11 PM

Yes, that was discovered a while ago in other GPS threads on here. The GPS on googlemaps works properly when you switch the network to gsm. The problem has always been that it doesn't work through the verizon evdo network. For the simple reason that once the verizon network is activated, it locks the A-GPS.
    01-15-09 11:11 PM
    Guys, Google Maps is written in such a way that if gpsOne aGPS is present (Qualcomm's Assited GPS when CDMA radio is on) it polls that way. If it is not available (in the form of you flipping to GSM manually), then full blown GPS (like other GSM based Blackberries with GPS), it polls that way. The issue is that the code in Google maps is written in such a way that it's one version fits all. The problem is that on the Storm, Google Maps really just needs to poll the GPS in standalone more rather then assisted NO MATTER WHAT. This is what Google must change. They need to write it in such a way that the version for the Storm is completely dumb to the fact that it could be running on a CDMA phone with gpsOne capabilities. BTW, they write it this way because Sprint's gpsOne PDE server is not locked down like Verizon's is. So, the version made for those phones, work on all phones, just like Verizon's and others.

Bottom line, Google just needs to change some lines of code a bit and release a "specific" build for the 9530, instead of a single build that works on all phones by detecting how it should poll for GPS fixes.

If it can be done by WeatherBug of all things, why can't it be done by Google? Are you telling me the coders for WeatherBug know how to code better then the numbskulls at Google?
    01-15-09 11:41 PM
    A settings menu. A single checkbox. Their heads extracted from their asses.

A solution in three parts.
    01-16-09 01:11 AM
    Well that just stinks since I really like Google Maps....bummer.
    Hopefully something will happen and they will be able to come out with some version that will work with the GPS.
    01-16-09 05:58 AM
    There are many apps that work...Nav4all, Weatherbug, Garmin, TeleNav, and Instamapper are four that I know of.
    Not sure about the others, but this is from Telenav's site:

Q: Do I need extra hardware to use TeleNav GPS Navigator with my Verizon phone or handheld? How do I order hardware?
    A:

Verizon mobile devices must have a Bluetooth GPS Receiver in order to work with TeleNav GPS Navigator.

This device connects to the phone using Bluetooth and can be purchased through the TeleNav Store when signing up for service.
    01-16-09 06:35 AM
    Not sure about the others, but this is from Telenav's site:

Q: Do I need extra hardware to use TeleNav GPS Navigator with my Verizon phone or handheld? How do I order hardware?
    A:

Verizon mobile devices must have a Bluetooth GPS Receiver in order to work with TeleNav GPS Navigator.

This device connects to the phone using Bluetooth and can be purchased through the TeleNav Store when signing up for service.
    That was true until the Storm was released. I beleieve Verizon has unlocked the GPS on a cpl of other phones now as well.
    01-16-09 07:05 AM
    That was true until the Storm was released. I beleieve Verizon has unlocked the GPS on a cpl of other phones now as well.
    Verizon did unlock the GPS for BB Maps on the Curve as well. No other app I have tried will work with the internal GPS, however. Not sure if it is the same on the Storm or not, but at least for apps I have and would like to use GPS with - Google Maps and Beyond 411 - it is not working at this time. There are some "pay" apps mentioned as working earlier in the thread, but I have not tried any to see if they would work for me.
    01-16-09 07:55 AM
    Verizon did unlock the GPS for BB Maps on the Curve as well. No other app I have tried will work with the internal GPS, however. Not sure if it is the same on the Storm or not, but at least for apps I have and would like to use GPS with - Google Maps and Beyond 411 - it is not working at this time. There are some "pay" apps mentioned as working earlier in the thread, but I have not tried any to see if they would work for me.
    You just haven't tried the right applications. I have personally gotten GPS to work on WeatherBug (which could be because it uses BB Maps), Nav4All, and Instamapper. Others have used Garmin (I'm going to check out the trial this weekend) and TeleNav on the Storm. My point is just because the programs you have tried didn't work does not mean that no other apps work.

BTW, Instamapper did not work when the Storm was released. A week or so ago, they released a new version with a "Disable A-GPS" checkbox. Put the check in the box and it now works on the Storm. HINT! HINT! HINT!
    01-16-09 09:38 AM
    You just haven't tried the right applications. I have personally gotten GPS to work on WeatherBug (which could be because it uses BB Maps), Nav4All, and Instamapper. Others have used Garmin (I'm going to check out the trial this weekend) and TeleNav on the Storm. My point is just because the programs you have tried didn't work does not mean that no other apps work.
    Well, I believe I corrected my statement from earlier in the thread (which was based on what was posted in some other threads here and on other boards) that they *only* unlocked it for VZNavigator and BB Maps. I clearly stated that for the apps I have tried (specifically GMM which is the topic of this thread, and Beyond 411) that the internal GPS does not work. I also stated that I did not try any pay apps so I did not contend that they did or did not work.

Current information provided on Telenav's site indicates that it does not work with Verizon without a puck. Perhaps they are behind the times on their documentation, maybe Verizon unlocked them specifically like they did BB Maps, who knows? I have no direct experience with this app so I can't say whether or not it works, and I don't really have any desire to subscribe to a monthly service anyway.

The point is that the internal GPS on Verizon phones does not provide the functionality as an external puck, nor the functionality of other carrier's internal GPS on the same basic phones, which is disappointing. It does not work properly with GMM at this time, at least on any part of the Verizon network I have been on. I am not sure if I need to put a disclaimer that I just have not tried it in the right areas or anything ;-)
    01-16-09 11:11 AM
    for what its worth...gmaps gps dont work on telus either..just agps
    01-16-09 02:53 PM
    Ok well I wrote a detailed e-mail to CEO of VZW and got a phone call response from HQ (not the CEO unfortunately). He said that he checked into it and told me that, while in the past they had limited this functionality on their phones, going forward they aren't doing this and that the API calls to access the GPS information are available. He then said that I should look to Google as the reason why it doesn't work.

I was inclined to believe this argument before Google came out w/ the statement that its VZW's fault but after seeing the Google employee's statement, I assumed he was correct and it was actually VZW's fault. Now, I think I'm going back to my original feelings that its Google's fault it and they are just not rewriting their code to work w/ the 9530 on Verizon. Seems the most logical - especially since there are other 3rd party apps that work.

Just my opinion...
    01-16-09 03:05 PM
    Well, I believe I corrected my statement from earlier in the thread (which was based on what was posted in some other threads here and on other boards) that they *only* unlocked it for VZNavigator and BB Maps. I clearly stated that for the apps I have tried (specifically GMM which is the topic of this thread, and Beyond 411) that the internal GPS does not work. I also stated that I did not try any pay apps so I did not contend that they did or did not work.
    This statement is utterly false. BTW, WeatherBug, Nav4All, and Instamapper are all free programs that work with the internal GPS.

Current information provided on Telenav's site indicates that it does not work with Verizon without a puck. Perhaps they are behind the times on their documentation, maybe Verizon unlocked them specifically like they did BB Maps, who knows? I have no direct experience with this app so I can't say whether or not it works, and I don't really have any desire to subscribe to a monthly service anyway.
    They are behind on their documentation. BTW, Garmin also says that it doesn't work on Verizon...they are behind on their documentation as well.

The point is that the internal GPS on Verizon phones does not provide the functionality as an external puck, nor the functionality of other carrier's internal GPS on the same basic phones, which is disappointing. It does not work properly with GMM at this time, at least on any part of the Verizon network I have been on. I am not sure if I need to put a disclaimer that I just have not tried it in the right areas or anything ;-)
    The point is that there are two flavors of internal GPS: A-GPS and straight GPS. Straight GPS is completely unlocked. A-GPS uses cell tower data that Verizon locks. Therefore, A-GPS is locked.

External GPS is irrelevant.
    01-16-09 04:46 PM
    So I changed my connectiviy from 1XEV to GSM and it locked me in precisely.... Now if only someone can go tell google that or go on that other forum and tell that employee from google
    01-16-09 08:12 PM
    So I changed my connectiviy from 1XEV to GSM and it locked me in precisely.... Now if only someone can go tell google that or go on that other forum and tell that employee from google
    Already done.
    01-16-09 08:13 PM
    Already done.
    I just went back to the OP's link and i don't see it stated anywhere?
    01-16-09 08:35 PM
    I just went back to the OP's link and i don't see it stated anywhere?
    1/10/09 post by lucyfur.
    01-16-09 08:48 PM
    This statement is utterly false. BTW, WeatherBug, Nav4All, and Instamapper are all free programs that work with the internal GPS.

They are behind on their documentation. BTW, Garmin also says that it doesn't work on Verizon...they are behind on their documentation as well.

The point is that there are two flavors of internal GPS: A-GPS and straight GPS. Straight GPS is completely unlocked. A-GPS uses cell tower data that Verizon locks. Therefore, A-GPS is locked.

External GPS is irrelevant.
    Genius boy, read!!!!!!! Buck man has an 8830. What he states about GPS only being available to BBMaps and VZNav is completely correct about that phone. Not everyone has moved on to the Storm yet. Please read their profile and you'll see that what they say is well within the truth... based on context. Come on....
    01-16-09 10:19 PM
    Genius boy, read!!!!!!! Buck man has an 8830. What he states about GPS only being available to BBMaps and VZNav is completely correct about that phone. Not everyone has moved on to the Storm yet. Please read their profile and you'll see that what they say is well within the truth... based on context. Come on....
    So you are saying that Buckeye doesn't know what they are talking about with respect to the Storm being discussed in the Storm forum? Yeah, that was kinda the point too...
    01-17-09 07:31 AM
126 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD