Should I D/L Google maps? Isn't having GPS better?
    02-21-09 03:21 PM
    Google maps works WITH the GPS. GPS alone isn't much good unless you are extremely latitude and longitude aware and know the locations of EVERYTHING in that format.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-09 03:47 PM
    Does your phone not have GPS? My 8310 has it built in, if you are on an 8310 yours will too. There are many apps you can try to take advantage of your gps google maps being one of them but it doesnt have turn by turn so if you need that you could try something like nav4all
    02-21-09 03:49 PM
    Telenav has turn by turn as well. But for the price you can't beat Google Maps.
    02-21-09 05:29 PM
    google maps AND gps is the combo you should want. not just one thing! hah
    02-21-09 06:57 PM
    Make no sense... if you need google maps when u HAVE a gps, then either your gps is lacking or you don't know how to use it..

Why would u need google maps if you have a gps??

I mean I have google maps, and think its cool, but it won't replace a gps nor teleaid crap
    02-22-09 08:54 AM
    A GPS is a hardware chip used to approximate location data by information it receives from a number of satellites. Google Maps is a mapping app, which can use the data gathered by the GPS to display your location.

I think some of you are confusing standalone GPS units with the GPS in the BB. A standalone GPS is a small computing device that contains a GPS chip, and also an operating system and mapping software to display the data gained by the GPS chip.
    02-22-09 08:59 AM
    A GPS is a hardware chip used to approximate location data by information it receives from a number of satellites. Google Maps is a mapping app, which can use the data gathered by the GPS to display your location.

I think some of you are confusing standalone GPS units with the GPS in the BB. A standalone GPS is a small computing device that contains a GPS chip, and also an operating system and mapping software to display the data gained by the GPS chip.
    Exactly! Google maps is basically an interface used to communicate with the GPS chip in your BB and display the results. GPS + Google Maps = Standalone GPS
    02-22-09 09:23 AM
    The only thing i find odd about google maps is that when your in a major metropolitan area... and it searches your location... its accurate to about 800 meters... but then when you zoom in... its like half a block off... when i get around to it I'll show you guys a pic...
    02-22-09 09:52 AM
    gps and google maps totally diff.
    google maps uses cell towers
    02-22-09 12:20 PM
    gps and google maps totally diff.
    google maps uses cell towers
    Incorrect... Google Maps will use the GPS capabilities when used with a phone that has a GPS chip. When it is used on a phone without GPS, It triangulates your location with cell towers.
    02-22-09 01:11 PM
    I can't get Google maps to use the 8130 GPS unless I start the GPS in the BB map application. Do you all have this same issue? I'd rather not have to do this every time because BB maps slows down everything tremendously.

02-22-09 01:43 PM
    Incorrect... Google Maps will use the GPS capabilities when used with a phone that has a GPS chip. When it is used on a phone without GPS, It triangulates your location with cell towers.
    ok cool thanks for the clarification
    maybey cuz im wit vzw thats the way it works for me then
    02-22-09 01:44 PM
    ok cool thanks for the clarification
    maybey cuz im wit vzw thats the way it works for me then
    Yes, that's exactly why it doesn't work for you, because Verizon is (y)our carrier.
    02-22-09 02:05 PM
    Yes, that's exactly why it doesn't work for you, because Verizon is (y)our carrier.
    VZW is my carrier, and GPS and Google Maps works fine for me.
    02-22-09 02:55 PM
    VZW is my carrier, and GPS and Google Maps works fine for me.
    VZW doesn't allow 3rd party access to their phones built in GPS chip. It totally stinks. My friend has the same phone as me but through AT&T, it's a shame that his Google maps will show pretty near spot on accuracy where mine will be off a few hundred meters and we're standing right next to each other... Good thing I'm not plotting lunar landing coordinates on the vzw network!
    02-22-09 03:53 PM
    Mine is accurate to within a few feet... love my unlocked 8310
    02-22-09 04:52 PM
    VZW doesn't allow 3rd party access to their phones built in GPS chip. It totally stinks. My friend has the same phone as me but through AT&T, it's a shame that his Google maps will show pretty near spot on accuracy where mine will be off a few hundred meters and we're standing right next to each other... Good thing I'm not plotting lunar landing coordinates on the vzw network!
    Incorrect. I'm with Verizon, and since Google Maps latest release (3.0.2) My location is usually between 3-6 meters.
    02-22-09 05:02 PM
    If you are looking for GPS trackback and logging capabilities beyond the Google Maps format, check out GPS Logger, an app you can get for free that allows you to set waypoints and create tracks and save them or send them via email. This actually gives you full handheld GPS capabilities. (Find GPS Logger in the GPS forum)

krouac

02-22-09 05:09 PM
    My google maps with GPS on finds my location within 2o feet. i have VZW as well. Just used it to drive to Tennessee from Virginia.
    02-22-09 05:12 PM
    lately ive been having problems with my GPS.

my BBMAPS isnt finding my location (i waited almost 30mins and still nothing)

googlemaps (google latitude to be exact) have been able to find my location but its quite off..almost 1 block off.

any way to fix my gps?

it use to work when i first got my phone.

ps. i also tried going to GPS options and "Refresh GPS Location" and it can't find my location.
    02-22-09 05:43 PM
    Incorrect. I'm with Verizon, and since Google Maps latest release (3.0.2) My location is usually between 3-6 meters.
    Me too. I'm finding that my locations have been within a few meters with this release.
    02-22-09 07:26 PM
    I've used google maps a lot since I downloaded it about a month ago. I like it very much, easy to use and hasn't steered me wrong yet!
    02-22-09 09:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD