What is the differences between the two? Any significant advantage of one over the other?
    11-08-08 08:33 AM
    Well I have to say that I was a die-hard google maps fanatic and wouldn't give BBMaps the time of day. I Drive a cab on the weekends (I am with AllTel - free GPS use, until VZW steps in!) so I used it all the time. But after needing precise GPS I used bbmaps once and now I don't even have google maps installed. Bbmaps can do a local search of the area you are "looking" at and if its a business, give you the phone number. I think the only detail that google gives is a website if it's available. Also bbmaps loads info in smaller pieces, so it shows up quicker. IMO bbmaps is better. :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-08 08:51 AM
    Google maps does the exact same thing with the search feature. It gives all info on whatever you're trying to find. Ie phone number, address, and written directions plus map directions. It shows what direction you're heading as well. It has map, satellite, and street views as well. Its my preference.

11-08-08 08:58 AM
    I was lost yesterday, didn't have my GPS with me, so got my location with Google maps..input the address I was looking for and found my way. It was easy.
    11-08-08 09:04 AM
    BBMaps has the option to rotate maps to show Direction of Travel Up. All Google can show is North Up. That's the only weakness I consider significant in Google if you have a working internal GPS. If you are using an external GPS, then another set of strengths and weaknesses becomes relevant.
    11-08-08 09:10 AM
    I prefer Google maps personally.

11-08-08 09:15 AM
    Google Maps Voice all the way
    11-08-08 09:38 AM
    ^^ Jeff's point about the direction travel up is big for me.
    11-08-08 09:41 AM
    Hey Sling, how do you get voice on GM?

11-08-08 09:47 AM
    When I walking and I look for a place (some address, cafe, restaurant, ) I will just take out my BB and check with Google Maps Mobile - it has really changed how I navigate through the world.

When I am in a car and I am driving then I definitely use BB Maps, I just feel it works better for that.
    11-08-08 10:08 AM
    I find bbmaps way more precise when checking "my location". I do like google maps for its satellite and street view features. Both are good depending on what your looking for.

11-08-08 02:41 PM
    how about just installing both for each choice? and keep using each one and just say ok this does everything that i want it to do with simplicity and your done Right?
    11-08-08 03:15 PM
    honestly if its that hard to decide for you just have both =) They both have there ups and downs If you have both and try them out you will find out what you like to do =)
    11-08-08 03:23 PM
    Well, ya learn somethin' every day. I've never seen this change orientation feature in BB Maps. I'm running ver 4.6 on a Bold. Can someone point me to that option switch?
    11-08-08 08:10 PM
    I'm the guy with the belt and the suspenders as I have both maps. Lol. They both have their strength and weaknesses and by having both the good of each one can be used in the situation needed.

The only bad thing about this is they're eating a lot of free memory, both by having the app loaded and the maps that are having to be downloaded on.

But as some others have said if you can have both use both.

11-08-08 09:31 PM
    Well, ya learn somethin' every day. I've never seen this change orientation feature in BB Maps. I'm running ver 4.6 on a Bold. Can someone point me to that option switch?
    You have to "Start GPS Navigation" for the option to show up.
    Menu / Start GPS Navigation
    Menu / North Up | Track Up (it's a toggle)
    11-08-08 10:08 PM
    I like google maps better. :-)

11-09-08 02:21 PM
    Hey Sling, how do you get voice on GM?

Looks like Google has a new voice feature available. But it's not voice guided navigation like I know most of us were hoping for. It's voice powered searches. And according to the site, it's only available on the 8110, 8120, and 8130 currently...

Google Mobile - Maps
    11-09-08 02:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD