Hello,

I downloaded google latitude on my Storm and when it tries to locate me, it has this gigantic radius and even though I"m within it, where it has me centered at isn't even CLOSE. My brother who is a latitude user as well appeared to be in Miami yesterday when he actually was in North Florida. Yes, it is that off. When I used POYNT though it had my location ON THE SPOT using google maps for my maps. Why is this? What can I do so it does this every time with google latitude for both me and my brothers location? I did what POYNT tells you to do by default for your GPS to make sure it is on, but other than that I don't know what to do!

Thank you,

raiderleaf
    03-14-09 01:38 PM
    Use the newest version of Google Maps, and drop the Lattitude app. The newest version of Google Maps has Lattitude built into it, and utilizes the Storm's GPS.
    03-14-09 01:47 PM
    That version would be 3.0.2 FYI
    03-14-09 01:54 PM
    I'm confused. There is a stand alone latitude app?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-09 02:25 PM
    Use the newest version of Google Maps, and drop the Lattitude app. The newest version of Google Maps has Lattitude built into it, and utilizes the Storm's GPS.
    Where can I find this? How is it different from the one that I have right now?

Currently I go to Applications > Google Maps > BlackBerry Key > Latitude ....

Is this already what I have? How do I tell?
    03-14-09 02:36 PM
    Looks like you are already using google maps.

Under Options -> Advanced Options -> GPS, do you have GPS Data Source set to Device GPS, and GPS Services set to Location On, and Location Aiding (irrelevant I think) set to Enabled?

Also, are you outdoors when you are trying to get it to work? GPS is getting better at working indoors, but if you're deep inside a building it won't work unless you're near a window.

Sounds to me more likely that you have GPS Services to E911. Change that to Location On. Also when using google maps, it may take a while for GPS to fix on you. Also make sure you have version 3.0.2. The latest version is at m.google.com/maps.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 03-14-09 at 03:56 PM.
    03-14-09 03:53 PM
    Looks like you are already using google maps.

Under Options -> Advanced Options -> GPS, do you have GPS Data Source set to Device GPS, and GPS Services set to Location On, and Location Aiding (irrelevant I think) set to Enabled?

Also, are you outdoors when you are trying to get it to work? GPS is getting better at working indoors, but if you're deep inside a building it won't work unless you're near a window.

Sounds to me more likely that you have GPS Services to E911. Change that to Location On. Also when using google maps, it may take a while for GPS to fix on you. Also make sure you have version 3.0.2. The latest version is at m.google.com/maps.
    I do have all of those options enabled as you said, they were like that already and the version I am using is 3.0.2 as you said. I have been inside and outside, and either way its still inaccurate. It gives me a huge radius of where I could be when I just use Google Maps alone, but when I use Poynt it puts it spot on....
    03-14-09 03:59 PM
    I do have all of those options enabled as you said, they were like that already and the version I am using is 3.0.2 as you said. I have been inside and outside, and either way its still inaccurate. It gives me a huge radius of where I could be when I just use Google Maps alone, but when I use Poynt it puts it spot on....
    try to uninstall and reinstall gmap. I had similar problems and that fixed it.
    also try going outside to test the gps (indoors arent accurate)
    03-14-09 04:25 PM
    I don't want to sound like an ***** here but i move around long distances between times i turn Google maps on (i work about an hr from my house, when i turn it on at work it shows me at home) but i haven't seen it posted but when you first open Google maps there's a blue dot in the lower right hand corner if you hit it, it refreshes where you are...my apologies if you've done that. cause if you have your GPS turned on (GPS data Source: Device GPS, GPS Services:Location on, Location aiding: Enabled) it usually pretty spot on when your outside

I dont know bout latitude cause no friends on it yet lol
    03-14-09 04:28 PM
    I had the same problem with Google Maps when I first installed it, and like others have said you need version 3.0.2 in order for the GPS to pinpoint your location properly. If you go through Google's site and specify that you have a Blackberry it will give you one version earlier (it did for me anyway), however go to google.com/mobile, click the link that says "Don't want to specify your phone? See all Google Mobile products" and from there you can click the links for different products, including Maps and YouTube and have download links sent to your phone via SMS. That's how I was able to get the updated Maps w/ accurate GPS (and this version also has street view too!). Hopefully that helps a bit
    03-14-09 04:30 PM
    Google maps is fairly terrible as a reliable source for directions. The other day I had to use it and it insisted that a popular restaurant I was looking for was on a dead end street 5 miles from its actual location. It didn't even get the streets right. Neither thrilled nor impressed...

03-14-09 06:12 PM
    Make sure compatibility mode is disabled.

03-14-09 06:19 PM
    i just used mine the other day i couldn't remember where an address was put it in satellite mode and the add for the place was right where it was suppose to be, I haven't used it for directions i just use it every now and then just to check addresses at work and works fine, ill try messing with the directions and see what happens
    03-15-09 11:45 AM
    I keep reading these complaints about google latitude. Everyone has the same options to try. The simple answer is it doesn't always work. I have it and it works about 60% of the time. I think it depends on the area and the service you are getting. It works when I get closer to a larger town and most of the time at my house but not all the time.
    03-15-09 12:01 PM
    Google Maps has been flawless for me. Make sure your GPS settings are correct on the phone, go outside, and let it locate you. It puts me within 3 yards of my location, consistently.

03-15-09 12:06 PM
    I had the same problem with Google Maps when I first installed it, and like others have said you need version 3.0.2 in order for the GPS to pinpoint your location properly. If you go through Google's site and specify that you have a Blackberry it will give you one version earlier (it did for me anyway), however go to google.com/mobile, click the link that says "Don't want to specify your phone? See all Google Mobile products" and from there you can click the links for different products, including Maps and YouTube and have download links sent to your phone via SMS. That's how I was able to get the updated Maps w/ accurate GPS (and this version also has street view too!). Hopefully that helps a bit

I have tried all of this and it has yielded the same result as before, a massive radius of where I could be but where it is centered at I am no where near. Any further advice anyone?
    03-15-09 05:51 PM
    Does anybody have any more ideas with what the problem is?
    03-15-09 08:55 PM
    mine works fine, im travel A LOT and it always finds me
    03-15-09 09:55 PM
    mine works fine, im travel A LOT and it always finds me
    That doesn't really help me much. I need to know what is wrong with mine, although it is great to hear that somebody's is in fact working.
    03-15-09 10:35 PM
    Options/Advanced/Applications. Highlight Google Maps and hit Menu/Delete. Reboot when prompted. If you don't get prompted to reboot after install, pull the battery. Boot back up. Go into Browser and hit Menu/Options. Go to Cache and Clear each item. Hit ESC to trigger the clear. The exit out. Start the browser back up and make sure it's set to Blackberry emulation. Go to www.google.com/gmm and install the app. Should read 302 for the version. Start the app and answer Allow to security prompt for Phone access.

If your GPS is set to location on, you will get a lock in about 60 seconds if you're outside or near a window. Keep hitting the My Location button in lower right hand corner of screen and eventually meters will read 6 or less depending on sat locks. If you deviate from this, things may not work right.

03-15-09 11:58 PM
    I don't know what else to tell ya. You've been runnin this problem for a while. If you're not getting a GPS lock, then you've got to either have your GPS set to E911 (which you've already said you don't), you're not giving enough time to get a lock (60 seconds would be a long time), or you're runnin a device other than a Storm (which I doubt cuz you said Poynt fixes on GPS). You've said that Poynt get's a lock on your GPS, so given that... Google Maps should get one too.

If you're actually on a Storm with VZW and you can't get a GPS lock, my next recommendation would be to take it down to your local VZW store and ask them "WTF!" The only other solution I could possibly come to is that you're not running a clean copy of the latest Google Maps.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 03-16-09 at 01:08 AM.
    03-16-09 01:05 AM
    Mine is spot on and shows me 3 meters away even inside BUT! I have notice my friends on lattitude cant see me and i go to random locations every few min lol...people thought i was at this college like miles away?!?
    03-16-09 02:00 AM
    I've never been able to get google maps to work right either. The new version is just as far off as the old version.

03-16-09 02:35 AM
    Options/Advanced/Applications. Highlight Google Maps and hit Menu/Delete. Reboot when prompted. If you don't get prompted to reboot after install, pull the battery. Boot back up. Go into Browser and hit Menu/Options. Go to Cache and Clear each item. Hit ESC to trigger the clear. The exit out. Start the browser back up and make sure it's set to Blackberry emulation. Go to www.google.com/gmm and install the app. Should read 302 for the version. Start the app and answer Allow to security prompt for Phone access.

If your GPS is set to location on, you will get a lock in about 60 seconds if you're outside or near a window. Keep hitting the My Location button in lower right hand corner of screen and eventually meters will read 6 or less depending on sat locks. If you deviate from this, things may not work right.

I tried this but mine says within 3700 meters .... I don't get what is wrong!!! All the settings you mentioned were already right!
    03-16-09 09:45 AM
    Mine is spot on and shows me 3 meters away even inside BUT! I have notice my friends on lattitude cant see me and i go to random locations every few min lol...people thought i was at this college like miles away?!?
    Yep. I've run into the same thing with Lattitude. My fiance and I were sitting side-by-side at my brother's house. My phone showed me precisely where I was...so did his...but on my Storm it showed him as being about 10 blocks away. And this is after several tries "refreshing" the map. Very strange. At any rate, this is not an app I would rely on for locating others Most of the time, it lags horribly on updates, even when he and I are both outside. Eh, it's a toy...
    03-16-09 09:56 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD