I just downloaded google maps but I cannot get it to load. I click on the icon and it freezes and never loads. Anybody have any thoughts? After a few minutes I get this message
    "Network unavailable: this application requires a data connection and
    > some BlackBerry devices require reconfiguration to work properly."
    Last edited by Clod; 10-12-08 at 09:23 AM.
    10-12-08 08:52 AM
    I posted this in the 8800 forum but this is probably a better place. Hopefully somebody can help me
    I just downloaded google maps but I cannot get it to load. I click on the icon and it freezes and never loads. Anybody have any thoughts? After a few minutes I sometimes get this message
    "Network unavailable: this application requires a data connection and some BlackBerry devices require reconfiguration to work properly."
    10-12-08 01:20 PM
    I think this is one of those times when you have to do a reset.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-08 01:30 PM
    I saw your post in the other forum. You had a suggestion there to reboot. You shouldn't double post, but since this is the better forum for your question, I'm going to answer you here and merge your other thread with this one so all your answers are in one place.

Now for my suggestion: try downloading GMM again. Be sure you use the BlackBerry Browser, and be sure your emulation mode is set to BlackBerry. If you are emulating IE or another browser, you can sometimes fool Google into sending you the wrong download package, which can cause the result you are getting.
    10-12-08 04:49 PM
    thanks for the tip. I pulled the battery 3 times and still nothing. I had the emulation set to Blackberry when I downloaded it the first time. Any other thoughts?
    10-12-08 06:54 PM
    Was there any indication of a problem when you downloaded it? Did GMM tell you it was going to change its permissions? If you haven't already, try downloading it again.

10-12-08 07:19 PM
    No, it installed with no issues the first time. I just deleted it and I am downloading it over wifi again. Is it a problem downloading it over wifi?
    10-12-08 07:35 PM
    No, it installed with no issues the first time. I just deleted it and I am downloading it over wifi again. Is it a problem downloading it over wifi?
    I went looking for wifi info and found your thread here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f34/google-maps-gps-79114/

That answers what was going to be my next question: do you have a data plan? This thread may help you: http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/app...ta-plan-73992/

According to it, there is an app that enables you to use Google Maps over wifi. That's news to me. Please post and let us know how it works for you.
    10-12-08 09:38 PM
    I had the same problem. update your BB to the newest software and it works fine. Still need a data plan or wifi connection
    10-12-08 11:21 PM
    Strange I guess but I thought google maps used cell phone towers and the GPS in the device not an active internet connection.
    10-13-08 09:30 AM
    Google Maps uses cell towers or the GPS to determine your location. It requires a data connection to download its maps.

10-13-08 09:33 AM
    Thanks Jeff
    I have been looking for that answer for a while now. Got conflicting answers on my other posts.
    10-13-08 09:51 AM
    I don't have wifi capability on my BlackBerry, so I can't check it, but wifi wouldn't be useful for maps downloading while moving, since you have to be close to the signal source. If you want to download maps in advance of a trip into an area with no cell service, take a look at TrekBuddy. It allows you to store maps on a microSD card.

10-13-08 10:06 AM
    That's really what I am looking for. Using the functionally of the GPS feature on my BB by downloading all maps onto the SD card. Basically like a Tom Tom or Garmin. Why have a separate device if I can use my BB? Makes sense to me. Just think that you really don't need to have a data plan to do this.
    10-13-08 01:48 PM
    There are at least two apps that will probably do what you want: TrekBuddy and Mobile GMaps (not to be confused with Google Maps). Both are designed to work with maps that you preload to a microSD card. I have not used either, so I can't comment on how well they work or how easy they are to use. Google Maps will not work without a data plan, because it, like BBMaps, downloads its maps in real time.

The only possible remaining problem you might have is if AT&T requires a data plan to use the internal GPS. It's possible that they require a subscription to TeleNav to enable the internal GPS. There are GPS utilities you can use to verify your GPS is working, or you can just try TrekBuddy and see if it works. If it doesn't, then there's a free program in this forum that you can use to read your lat/lon without maps. You can download it to verify your GPS functionality.
    Last edited by JeffH; 10-13-08 at 02:40 PM. Reason: typos
    10-13-08 02:38 PM
    ATT does not require you to subscribe to Telenav to use the GPS. At least they didn't when I purchased my phone in February. I use Nav4all with the internal GPS with on problems. I haven't subscribed to Telenav and don't plan to. Nav4all does use data though so you're out of luck there. Try one of Jeff's options. He knows his stuff.
    10-13-08 05:59 PM
    I am also having this issue. All application permissions are set correctly, have tried removing and reinstalling, I have a data plan, all other browsing, Vodafone Live and emailing works fine and I used Google Maps on my Curve last week. This brings me to the conclusion that it is the Google Maps app that is the issue (or a setting on my BlackBerry I have missed).

I have literally trawled the internet looking for an answer to this issue and although there are tonnes of people with the 'Network unavailable:this application requires a data connection...' issue, i have not found one single helpful answer...

I cannot upgrade the software on my Storm unless a newer version has been released since the actual phone was released two days ago...

Has anyone found a resolution for this yet? I might have to go back to my Curve!!!
    12-04-08 04:54 PM
    I am also having this issue. All application permissions are set correctly, have tried removing and reinstalling, I have a data plan, all other browsing, Vodafone Live and emailing works fine and I used Google Maps on my Curve last week. This brings me to the conclusion that it is the Google Maps app that is the issue (or a setting on my BlackBerry I have missed).

I have literally trawled the internet looking for an answer to this issue and although there are tonnes of people with the 'Network unavailable:this application requires a data connection...' issue, i have not found one single helpful answer...

I cannot upgrade the software on my Storm unless a newer version has been released since the actual phone was released two days ago...

Has anyone found a resolution for this yet? I might have to go back to my Curve!!!
    Google is going to have to release an update to work with the Storm GPS. That's been widely discussed, for example, here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/goo...tement-103652/

If really like the Storm, don't give up on it. Give Google time to fix their product.
    12-04-08 07:52 PM
    Google is going to have to release an update to work with the Storm GPS. That's been widely discussed, for example, here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/goo...tement-103652/

If really like the Storm, don't give up on it. Give Google time to fix their product.
    Some are hoping google are going to use the accelerometer like in the iPhone too
    12-04-08 08:07 PM
    I unlocked my phone and used in on another carrier and other than Google maps didn't have any problems. I finally just fixed this by changing the TCP/IP settings which were still for the original carrier, AT&T. I changed to the settings for my current carrier, China Mobile, which just uses "cmnet" no password etc needed, rebooted and it finally works fine.
    01-24-10 07:10 AM
    I have the same problem after re-installing google map asking for data connection and reconfig., any help?
    01-28-11 05:06 AM
    I have done all Jeff said but still google map does not work.
    01-30-11 09:33 AM
    I had the very same problem and frustratedly switched over to installing Google Mail. That prompted me with "APN is not installed" - so I activated APN in the TCP/IP settings (just the 1st line needs a checkmark).
    After that, not only Google Mail worked, but also the previously uncooperative Google Maps. I guess Google could work a bit more on their help screens...
    02-27-11 02:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD