Well I just installed the new 4.0.1 google maps on my Verizon 8530.

Google Maps for mobile

Right when I booted up - I noticed the phrase "Waiting for GPS" on the bottom which would never show up on the previous version and I would only see that on my 8900, 9000, 9550, and 9700 blackberries (you know fully open and accessible GPS)

A few minutes later - tracked my down to 7 meters...

I think GPS is fully working now with Google Maps and the VZW 8530

UPDATE: Just tested - WIFI off - drove up and down the road - tracked me perfectly! w00t! GPS is good to go!
    indoors its hit or miss - in the middle of my house - doesn't get me - but near windows it puts me within 5 to 10 meters..
    Last edited by KaalaBerry; 04-07-10 at 10:06 PM.
    04-07-10 09:22 PM
    I just checked and it seems to be working better on mine too. Its about time! I'm indoors and so I don't think I got a very good GPS signal but it still narrowed my area down to 1700 meters, which is way better than the 5000 meter area I would always get before. It will probably do even better when I actually it gets a clear view of the sky.

For reference, I have the 8530 with Alltel.
    04-07-10 09:46 PM
    I just checked and it seems to be working better on mine too. Its about time! I'm indoors and so I don't think I got a very good GPS signal but it still narrowed my area down to 1700 meters, which is way better than the 5000 meter area I would always get before. It will probably do even better when I actually it gets a clear view of the sky.

For reference, I have the 8530 with Alltel.
    You aren't tracking with GPS then. GPS will only work with at least 3 sats visible and the accuracy will be a couple hundred meters with that minimum. So it sounds like yoiu are still using cell towers.
    04-08-10 11:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD