Hi,

Google maps on my bold does not seem to be able to turn the GPS on. I have to start Blackberry maps for the GPS to be turned on and then Google Maps uses it.

Is there a setting I need to change?

Thanks
    07-06-09 03:36 PM
    Options>Advanced Options>GPS. Be sure everything is turned on.
    07-06-09 03:39 PM
    refersh the gps too!
    07-06-09 08:05 PM
    Go and stand outside and point ur Bold up toward the sky and pray to God for it to work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-09 11:06 PM
    post # 80!!!! gl with ur gps system btw.
    07-06-09 11:10 PM
    refresh gps that should help if everything is already on
    07-06-09 11:20 PM
    is google maps free?
    07-07-09 01:07 AM
    is google maps free?
    yes it is, but you need a data plan obviously....
    07-07-09 03:19 AM
    you definitely need to stand outside for it to work. I used to think my bb was defective when it never worked. But then i tried it outside, and it worked well.
    07-07-09 03:32 AM
    My google maps finds me just fine when I am inside. I'm no expert but I think it uses cell towers to locate not actual GPS satellites so no "clear view of sky" is needed.

07-07-09 11:05 AM
    My google maps finds me just fine when I am inside. I'm no expert but I think it uses cell towers to locate not actual GPS satellites so no "clear view of sky" is needed.

you are very lucky i still have to go outside to get a signal from gps been thinking about warranty exchanging this sucker
    07-07-09 11:23 AM

It can use both.
    07-07-09 11:34 AM
    i have to get outside to get the signal too .. on my blackberry and my Mio GPS device

and sometimes i need to open bb maps then google maps to work (faster)
    07-07-09 04:58 PM
    great info...
    07-07-09 05:41 PM
    You won't get an accurate fix unless the phone is either outside (or, if you have assistance available, inside near a window).

You can get an approximate fix from cell tower locations, but that won't be a proper GPS lock, and will not be accurate.
    07-07-09 05:47 PM

When there is a circle around the dot it is using cell towers...NOT accurate. When there is no circle it is using GPS...very accurate.

Just press 0 and see how accurate it is...GPS will read within about 3 meters (10 feet) and cell tower triangulation will read a lot more...mine is usually around 100 meters (300 feet).

07-07-09 07:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD