Hey sorry if this turns out to be a well documented questoin I could have found by searching but I did try. I downloaded google maps on my 8300 and I just wondered if there is a way to tell if it is using your gps or cell towers? I just wanted to make sure it was working on the GPS. I tried to refresh my GPS status under advanced options but could not find that option. If you can't tell I am pretty clueless on this so far, just got this thing. Any help you be appreciated, thanks.
    12-29-08 04:58 PM
    Sorry not currently. It does appear they are enabling this though. So far it only works with the newer beta OS's and BB maps. And you have an 8330 Curve, not an 8300.
    12-29-08 05:11 PM
    you will be a dot with no circle around it and also if it says within 300M its using cell towers. Also go to the GPS options under Options and hit Menu>Refresh and wait ill it brings up your position then open GMaps. Make sure your outside the first time and also give it sometime. But it will show just a dot with an arrow for the direction you are headed in.
    12-29-08 05:13 PM
    Try the newest OS which is suppose to have unlocked GPS for VZW user's. Search for the article.
    12-29-08 05:14 PM
    Only works the the BlackBerry maps on Verizon not Google Maps with OS version 4.5.

And there's no Refresh option on the 8330.
    12-29-08 05:45 PM
    Thanks for all the replies. When you say it will work with BB maps how? is that only so it loads maps, I don't see anything in the maps section that would utilize a GPS thats all, looks like just a searchable map. Oh and the google map says within 5000 meters so, yeah I don't thinks it is using GPS. Oh well, I could always get VZW navigator I guess I just of course prefer free. Thanks again.
    12-29-08 07:57 PM
    Thanks for all the replies. When you say it will work with BB maps how? is that only so it loads maps, I don't see anything in the maps section that would utilize a GPS thats all, looks like just a searchable map. Oh and the google map says within 5000 meters so, yeah I don't thinks it is using GPS. Oh well, I could always get VZW navigator I guess I just of course prefer free. Thanks again.

IF you have the latest OS then open BB Maps and then hit MENU then "Start GPS Navigation".
    12-29-08 09:09 PM
    Finally got it! I did some research and I am updating to 4.5now. Thank you all again. I messed around with my dad's storm today and worked well on it. Anyone know any third party navigation that can utilize the gps on the curve? I read Google maps is not working yet and I tried amaze on my dad's storm with no luck but I will try it out on my curve here in a little while.
    12-30-08 08:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD