Not sure if I need to have both of these memory hogs on the Storm; what do you guys think?

I apologize if this topic has been covered before, but I could only find very old posts on this, and I just grabbed the latest version of Google maps, on 6-1-09, so I am sure it has features that weren't there in the past...

thank you!
    06-02-09 09:26 AM
    Here are a couple of threads:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/goo...y-maps-228179/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/bb-m...e-maps-125662/

Since Verizon unlocked the internal GPS in my 8830, I have used BBMaps almost exclusively. I consider it superior for nav use because it shows you your speed and has rotating maps. It also shows you the number of satellites it's seeing.

Google Maps are undeniably prettier, and Latitude is very nice if you are meeting up with friends. Street View is also nice.

I had both apps on my 8830 for a long time. I don't consider either a memory hog, and both have their strengths.
    06-02-09 09:55 AM
    Thanks Jeff; I hope someone with a Storm 9530 will chime in with their experiences, as they may be different than on a 8830..

I had a 8830 a couple of years ago, before getting an Iphone, and I liked it alot, but temporarily succumbed to Iphone "mania", before dumping that lousy ATT phone service, and coming back to BB about 2 months ago!
    06-02-09 10:00 AM
    I own a 9530 and I've used both but I like using Google maps because of it's Latitude feature.
    06-02-09 10:03 AM
    I keep both because BBMaps seems to get a satellite lock much faster than Google maps. So I open BBMaps, get a lock then switch over to Google maps and it has my location immediately.

For general navigation though, I pay for VZNav. Traffic rerouting is awesome and easily saves me the $10 a month in gas and time.
    Last edited by vatothe0; 06-08-09 at 01:46 AM.
    06-08-09 01:43 AM
    interesting; most people have nothing good to say about VZ Nav...
    06-08-09 05:56 AM
    interesting; most people have nothing good to say about VZ Nav...
    I find that most of the individuals with negative comments on VZNav were temporary users back when the BB version significantly lagged the version available on other VZW phones, or have never used it at all (balking at the $10/mo price without really assessing the features).

Garmin Mobile
    is brought up regularly as what is supposed to be a viable alternative, but doesn't offer many of the features in VZNav; real-time traffic, local event information (movie times and other scheduled entertainment), current local gas prices. They also usually fail to mention that Garmin forces you to repurchase the software when you replace the phone.

Don't get me wrong; VZNav still has its shortcomings and lacks features that dedicated GPS units have. But a functional GPS I always have with me vs. one I don't is the better choice in my book.
    06-08-09 06:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD