So I just downloaded this app on my BB pearl and it prompted me as I opened it to allow it to access my GPS location. If I allow this app to do so will I be charged for using it? I just upgraded to an unlimited data plan with bell.

Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-08 12:02 AM
    No u will not be charged. But the next question is does ur berry have GPS. If not don't worry it will not hurt anything. U can also by a GPS puck

09-17-08 12:05 AM
    Hmm I don't think my berry has GPS, why? I know I don't pay extra for that feature from my carrier.

09-17-08 12:08 AM
    what kfrey means is.... does ur blackberry have a physical gps receiver built in. if it does then u can use the feature on the phone, which does use data from ur carrier. but u said u got an unlimited plan so u should be good.

the pearl 8110 and 8130 has a gps receiver built in. the 8100 and 8120 don't. if ur pearl does not have it, u can just buy a little gps receiver called a gps puck.

ur with bell, which means u have the 8130, which DOES have the gps receiver.. so URE GOOD TO GO
    09-17-08 12:12 AM
    GPS is not a feature from ur carrier it is a feature of the phone. Some phone have a GPS "chip" in them. But also some carries charge you to use that feature of ur phone. Let say ur GPS will not work unless u use there app. But google is free. I have the tmo curve which has wifi but the att curve has GPS. I can buy a GPS puck that will connect to my phone via bluetooth then my phone will have GPS for google. But since I don't have a puck google uses cell towers to find my postion

09-17-08 12:14 AM
    Thanks amnsam your way sounds a lot better then mine lol. I'm too tired to explain. It sounded better in my head

09-17-08 12:18 AM
    Ok well as kfrey said I have the 8130 therefore having the GPS built in. Can anyone on bell confirm that they do not charge for using the built in GPS feature?

Also I tried out the app and I must say it is very well done, probably best app out there in my opinion!

09-17-08 12:22 AM
    Best bet is to call your carrier and ask them. I am not trying to
    be rude, but why would you sign up for a service without
    knowing the things you would and would not be charged for?
    09-17-08 12:52 AM
    Well I have called before even signing up with this service to make sure what I was using was covered but Bell has a tendency to say one thing and do another in many cases so I wanted to ask people that are already on Bell and use Google Maps as a third party app if they are charged so I don't end up being screwed in the end. I just found out about this application today therefore not knowing much about it, but I am going to call and confirm that google maps is indeed covered under an unlimited data plan.

09-17-08 01:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD