And you don't have an 8830 do you? Read the past posts. Another 8830 user reported quicker battery drain with 2.0.1 as well.
    I have an 8830 and have never had problems with battery drain. I always make sure I Exit the application so it's not running in the background when I'm not using it.
    01-12-08 11:20 AM
    V2.0.2 was/is far to buggy and it lags for me.

V2.0.1 - h t t p://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v2.0.1/L1/BlackBerry-42/GoogleMaps.jad?make=BlackBerry&model=42&ver=v2.0.1

I went back to v2.0.1 and it's running much smoother.
    01-12-08 11:30 AM
    I have an 8830 and have never had problems with battery drain. I always make sure I Exit the application so it's not running in the background when I'm not using it.
    Yeah, I would have been fine with that, but the problem was that even if you EXIT the app the battery still didn't last as long. Only fix was to uninstall 2.0.1. Trust me, I tried it several times and each time 2.0.1 was installed it caused my battery not to last as long as when it's uninstalled. I couldn't explain it, but it was obvious that problem caused issues for me.... and one other person according to this thread. Could be a specific combination of factors, but it happened.
    01-12-08 04:23 PM
    V2.0.2 was/is far to buggy and it lags for me.

V2.0.1 - h t t p://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v2.0.1/L1/BlackBerry-42/GoogleMaps.jad?make=BlackBerry&model=42&ver=v2.0.1

I went back to v2.0.1 and it's running much smoother.

Exactly the same thing here. 2.0.2 was too laggy when going through the menus. I installed 2.0.1, as well, and the lag is gone. At least Google and RIM are the same...upgrades leave much to be desired.
    01-13-08 01:23 AM
    I've had an 8830 for one week. Just learning. Should I attempt to download Google maps to replace the maps that came with my 8830? Where do I start? Thanks.
    01-16-08 03:28 PM
    I just loaded this on my 8320 and it's showing my loc as about a block south of me. Not bad for a beta
    01-27-08 03:08 PM
    is there no charge for using gps on google maps when you have unlimited data plan?
    02-06-08 09:31 PM
    i just downloaded the Google Maps...and it 'positioned' me..pretty close to home..the blue dot is on the interstate by my house?

so maybe once i venture out with it and drive, itll be accurate? we'll see
    going to hilton head, sc this weekend...so we'll see how that works out
    02-06-08 10:41 PM
    is there no charge for using gps on google maps when you have unlimited data plan?
    there shouldnt be...it should be included, you may want to call AT&T and check though
    02-06-08 10:42 PM
    I have version 2.0.2. Just loaded it a week or so ago from Blackberry.com
    02-07-08 01:42 PM
    I have 2.0.1 and it works like a charm
    02-27-08 04:29 AM
    Downloaded earlier this week and works like a charm on my Curve! Love the built in GPS!!

BTW - it does move while you are driving, etc and has a direction arrow as well.
    Last edited by brobertsiii; 02-28-08 at 10:51 AM. Reason: forgot to add part about driving
    02-28-08 10:50 AM
    I just dled 2.0.1 on my curve and it went without a hitch. Nice little app for a freebie.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-08 03:11 AM
    How do you configure gps....I have loaded 'live search' maps and tried to configure but it just says waiting for position and i never know if its found it? I am really confused...anyone help please?
    03-11-08 03:53 AM
    I have an 8120 pearl. Am having trouble with everything , think I might just throw it in the lake. why is it all so complicated, i just want to set my gps!
    03-11-08 03:54 AM
    Not sure on your phone but on the 8130, you have to turn on location in the preferences.
    03-13-08 08:11 PM
    BTW, GoogleMaps version 2.0.3. is now available. I downloaded it last night with no problems. It even even latched onto my GPS puck signal without having to run BBMaps in the background first! I'll experiment further today...
    03-16-08 07:47 AM
    Works smoothly on my 8310! Downloaded the newer version and pretty accurate so far. Nice app for a newbie!
    Using google uk maps I downloaded the maps onto my 8310 and it crashes my phone when I try to start it?
    03-17-08 10:27 AM
    Even with GoogleMaps 2.0.3, I still have a problem with GPS tracking my route after it initially establishes my correct position when I start the app. It seems that there's a problem with continuous bluetooth communication with my puck. However, running BBMaps in the background (with navigation running), it often helps with GPS refreshing in the GoogleMaps app. Why would that be? In any case, my favorite FREE navigation software right now is Nav4All and it has great spoken directions. I've used it successfully for hours at a time on the road without ANY GPS tracking/communication problems!
    03-18-08 12:41 AM
    Hi All - does anyone know if 2.0.3 has a way to clear just the map cache without losing Cookies, Favorites, History of Search Terms, and Preferences? If not, is there a setting to limit the cache size?

2.0.1 is working fine for me, but the cache had grown to 5MB, and to clear it, I saw only one option to "Reset Google Maps", which clears out everything.

As I understand it, to prevent problems, you should look to keep at least 16MB free on a Curve (I currently have 20MB free) and the map cache takes me below this level.

TIA for any help.
    03-18-08 12:22 PM
    google maps works great for me...pinpoints to 3 meters of me at my house.
    03-19-08 10:46 PM
    Even with GoogleMaps 2.0.3, I still have a problem with GPS tracking my route after it initially establishes my correct position when I start the app. It seems that there's a problem with continuous bluetooth communication with my puck. However, running BBMaps in the background (with navigation running), it often helps with GPS refreshing in the GoogleMaps app. Why would that be? In any case, my favorite FREE navigation software right now is Nav4All and it has great spoken directions. I've used it successfully for hours at a time on the road without ANY GPS tracking/communication problems!
    Turn off the My Location BETA. By default it reverts back to that instead of initiating another GPS request from your Bluetooth puck. At least this is the case with GSM BBs that have GPS inside. With MLB on you constantly have to go back into Options/Advanced/GPS and Refresh for GMaps to get stuff. Try it and see if it works with externals as well.
    03-29-08 12:09 AM
    Turn off the My Location BETA. By default it reverts back to that instead of initiating another GPS request from your Bluetooth puck. At least this is the case with GSM BBs that have GPS inside. With MLB on you constantly have to go back into Options/Advanced/GPS and Refresh for GMaps to get stuff. Try it and see if it works with externals as well.

When I go to options/advanced/GPS I do not have the "refresh" option. It provides only "gps data source" (set to my keychain puck) and "gps services" set to Location On. Choosing "911 only" instead of Location On, would that do what you're talking about?

Also, how do I turn off the My Location BETA?

Thanks!
    03-29-08 10:29 AM
    Organman:

You can go to Bluetooth icon, then it searches (I don't know why that step can't be skipped). When "no new devices..." Answer NO.

Find your puck in the list. Use the MENU KEY (left of trackball). Device Properties. Click. Brings up the puck. Press Menu key again. REFRESH SERVICE LIST and it will "talk to your gps again"

A pain series of steps but it generally reconnects. Sometimes using another gps application and switch to it, helps gmaps, too.
    03-29-08 10:42 AM
    When I go to options/advanced/GPS I do not have the "refresh" option. It provides only "gps data source" (set to my keychain puck) and "gps services" set to Location On. Choosing "911 only" instead of Location On, would that do what you're talking about?

Also, how do I turn off the My Location BETA?

Thanks!
    I got this from the 8830 Users Guide: "Connection permissions for third-party applications Location (GPS): Set whether third-party applications can use your GPS location information." If this is set to "ALLOW," then does it matter whether GPS Services is set to "911 only" or "Location On?"

To turn off the My Location Beta, go to Help in Google Maps and click on My Location (beta). The disable function is at the bottom of the page.
    03-29-08 12:41 PM
118 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD