The iPhone 5 was released September 21, 2012. It was similar to what you see in the iPhone 6. This was before the HTC one was released.

Attachment 409667

However I don't deny they copied HTC in certain elements with the iPhone 6. Same general design but they did a little HTC to soften the design and make it look more sleek, they did copy HTC no arguing about that. But the main element was there already.

Google however went straight ahead and copied the iPhone from all angles even in the wide bezel under the screen, and made it worst by not putting a home button. Google's Pixel is identical to the iPhone in many aspects, major ones, not minor.
    If you're just talking about rectangular phones with rounded corners, then the iPhone 5 was on it's way to looking like the iPhone 6. However, the iPhone 6 was a major departure from the iPhone 5 in design, mainly due to the unibody with integrated antenna under some seam lines, that looks exactly like the design HTC did in 2013.

Okay, let's think about the Pixel and what we know of Apple and their litigation with trade dress. What does Google gain by cloning Apple? A bigger market share? They already have that. Apple users who buy based on look and not know they just bought a Pixel? Like these users can't figure that out immediately when usual iOS apps aren't there. Again, the phone is pretty much an HTC design with Google making the purchase order, much like the Nexus line.

As for the bezel at the bottom, it could be there just to keep the phone balanced, give users somewhere to grip, and/or perhaps make it symmetric for their VR goggles offering. I have a Dell Venue 8 7000, which has the thinnest bezel there is and many reviewers complain that there needs to be a bezel on the opposite side for better handling. Perhaps Google learned from that.
    10-08-16 12:47 AM
    Its interesting timing that Google is back in hardware now. Chen is obviously light years ahead of them by dumping hardware development and 'selectively' sticking the BlackBerry logo on someone else's phone...Nexus anyone? *cough*

...Only Google was actually smart enough to create Nexus such as to avoid putting the Google name/logo on someone else's product!

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    Last edited by kputock; 10-08-16 at 09:23 AM.
    10-08-16 08:52 AM
    If you're just talking about rectangular phones with rounded corners, then the iPhone 5 was on it's way to looking like the iPhone 6. However, the iPhone 6 was a major departure from the iPhone 5 in design, mainly due to the unibody with integrated antenna under some seam lines, that looks exactly like the design HTC did in 2013.

Okay, let's think about the Pixel and what we know of Apple and their litigation with trade dress. What does Google gain by cloning Apple? A bigger market share? They already have that. Apple users who buy based on look and not know they just bought a Pixel? Like these users can't figure that out immediately when usual iOS apps aren't there. Again, the phone is pretty much an HTC design with Google making the purchase order, much like the Nexus line.

As for the bezel at the bottom, it could be there just to keep the phone balanced, give users somewhere to grip, and/or perhaps make it symmetric for their VR goggles offering. I have a Dell Venue 8 7000, which has the thinnest bezel there is and many reviewers complain that there needs to be a bezel on the opposite side for better handling. Perhaps Google learned from that.
    As a big admirer of HTC, and a guy who really appreciates premium craftsmanship in phones, I was waiting anxiously for the Pixel although I know I won't buy it. For me I thought Google's stock android + HTC's excellent design and build is every tech enthusiast dream. I think the HTC one lineup is a work of art. Now you also have fantastic phones like the A9, HTC desire 10 Pro. Taking all these previous HTC phones in mind, I thought this will be a marvelous phone in design. However, I was disappointed for many reasons. It made sense because one of Google's top guys said HTC was responsible only for the manufacturing and that the phone is Google in every aspect, even the design. I really thought they should have left the designing to HTC. They hired HTC to do the producing but didn't capitalize on the best thing that HTC can do.

I saw HTC's revenues going up recently around 40% in their last month, hopefully the Pixel sells for the sake of HTC. They've been struggling lately due to a stupid management, something we know too well here with BlackBerry xD.
    10-08-16 10:38 AM
    Nothing changes....
    Me... don't think it will happen until we start implanting chips in our brains to communicate. Most of us well be gone by then, so why worry about it.
    There are many more options than you are aware of as to how we can be 'chipped.' I wish it weren't so but the stuff is hitting the fan now, not after we are dead.

We can also be surveilled (is that w word yet?) in the 'privacy' of our homes without chipping in ways that are not publicized yet. This has to do with ''smart homes.'
    10-08-16 01:16 PM
    As a big admirer of HTC, and a guy who really appreciates premium craftsmanship in phones, I was waiting anxiously for the Pixel although I know I won't buy it. For me I thought Google's stock android + HTC's excellent design and build is every tech enthusiast dream. I think the HTC one lineup is a work of art. Now you also have fantastic phones like the A9, HTC desire 10 Pro. Taking all these previous HTC phones in mind, I thought this will be a marvelous phone in design. However, I was disappointed for many reasons. It made sense because one of Google's top guys said HTC was responsible only for the manufacturing and that the phone is Google in every aspect, even the design. I really thought they should have left the designing to HTC. They hired HTC to do the producing but didn't capitalize on the best thing that HTC can do.

I saw HTC's revenues going up recently around 40% in their last month, hopefully the Pixel sells for the sake of HTC. They've been struggling lately due to a stupid management, something we know too well here with BlackBerry xD.
    Certainly Google has made a move to become a hardware manufacturer, however I doubt they've had enough time to realize that vision in the Pixel. The Pixel is still mostly off-the-shelf parts and "only" assembled by HTC. Given the time constraints, HTC most likely designed the phone and Google adopted it, i.e. next Nexus phone was well underway. Google said to expect custom parts from them in the future, which implies they've yet to be overall designers.

Yes, HTC deserves to regain some market share, as they've bet on Android early on and have consistently done pretty well with hardware design, even with poor decision making by their management. Agreed.
    Sairos likes this.
    10-08-16 03:40 PM
    The only thing I was disappointed in with the Pixel was the speakers. HTC has a history of putting the absolute best stereo speakers there are in phones. There is no phone that gets the sound like HTC does (and that includes anything made by Blackberry). Maybe the cost was too high, but its shame they skimped on that as they are really great.
    10-08-16 06:29 PM
    I don't think it was a cost issue but a device differentiator issue. HTC didn't want to give away BoomSound implementation for a Pixel device. If Samsung ever makes the Pixel they probably won't give away the WaCom digitizer implementation to Google either.
    10-10-16 04:24 PM
    Hardware design can go just for so long then it become all the same by everyone
    10-11-16 11:24 AM
    Hardware design can go just for so long then it become all the same by everyone
    Yeah to me a slab is a slab is a slab. Specs and features are more important to me because the phones all look practically the same. Only so much can be done to truly differentiate the designs when you have so much to stuff onto a tiny rectangle.

At least BlackBerry did have some cool designs in the recent past. I still hope the fixed keyboard android makes it to market.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    10-11-16 04:38 PM
    Yeah to me a slab is a slab is a slab. Specs and features are more important to me because the phones all look practically the same. Only so much can be done to truly differentiate the designs when you have so much to stuff onto a tiny rectangle.

At least BlackBerry did have some cool designs in the recent past. I still hope the fixed keyboard android makes it to market.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    That's right spec, feature and apps that is what make or brake a phone maker
    10-11-16 04:46 PM
60 123