To be honest - with EOL of OS10 I jumped the BlackBerry (device) ship after 12 years.
    I started with the 8700 (end of 2005) and ended my BlackBerry "relationship" in 2017 with the Passport SE.
    I switched to iPhone 8 (which comes with iOS closest to me to OS10).

I did not follow that "Android way", I have never used any Google Services, nor I won't any cloud solutions (including iCloud).
    Options are rare nowaday, so I personally think that iOS is less worse than Android.

I know BlackBerry puts a lot of afford and work into making Android "private", but I think Google is stronger than anyone would believe.

So, I'm personally (and I just speak for myself) not happy with TCL and Android - but there is a market for it, so BlackBerry does it right for others.
    Roger that, so same question then with Google and Apple. Google gives more transparent controls and does not give themselves permission to share/sell user data, which Apple does (give themselves permission). This can also be asked about the Telecom carrier, or the dev of almost any third party app or even this very forum.
    04-10-18 06:16 AM
    Roger that, so same question then with Google and Apple. Google gives more transparent controls and does not give themselves permission to share/sell user data, which Apple does (give themselves permission). This can also be asked about the Telecom carrier, or the dev of almost any third party app or even this very forum.
    I see your point, but I can't fully agree to that.
    You can set app permissions on Android - right.
    But you can't stop Google itself from tracking.
    Even DTEK does not monitor what Android itself does.

On iOS, you have similar options with apps.
    There is a list of what apps want access to and you can block that too - just like on Android.

But the iOS itself is as private as OS10.

I personally don't use a lot of apps and those few I have ain't that bad.

Worst one I have is:
    WhatsApp, but I only use it to text. No access to location data, no access to pictures etc.
    I blocked that.
    04-10-18 06:45 AM
    My apologies for being unclear.

What I mean is that Apple is collecting every bit of data on it's users, the same as Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Amazon, Verizon, AT&T, Samsung, TCL, OnePlus, etc, etc. They do give you some control on the device in terms of which apps have access to which data, but that doesn't have much to do with what they collect themselves, or what other companies that you let in (such as Facebook with WhatsApp) collects regarding behavior - that's mostly controlling file access and location. Apple, as far as I am aware, does not sell/share user data outside of their affiliate program, which is one that is set up fairly well in my opinion. They do however give themselves permission to do so, if they choose to. Every other company I named in that list of companies, with the exception of Google, does collect the same data, gives themselves permission to sell/share and actually does so.

So of the options available, in my opinion, Google is the best from a privacy standpoint because 1) your data doesn't leave their servers unless it's required to do so by law, such as due to a warrant 2) They give you control over how your data is used and you can delete it and 3) the what is collected and why are explained as transparently as possible. Apple is second best, and every other OEM is FAR behind Apple. In my opinion, buying anything today other than a Pixel or an iPhone is a mistake IF privacy and/or security are your highest concern. But that requires getting past the party line of Google "spying", which is wholly dependent on presuming that all of the companies aren't doing the same thing - because they are, but then they make it much worse with the share/sell actions they take.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    04-10-18 07:58 AM
    I see your point, but I can't fully agree to that.
    You can set app permissions on Android - right.
    But you can't stop Google itself from tracking.
    Even DTEK does not monitor what Android itself does.

On iOS, you have similar options with apps.
    There is a list of what apps want access to and you can block that too - just like on Android.

I personally don't use a lot of apps and those few I have ain't that bad.

Worst one I have is:
    WhatsApp, but I only use it to text. No access to location data, no access to pictures etc.
    I blocked that.
    But what about Apple themselves?
    04-10-18 07:59 AM
    on facebook, droid track can have some detail including sms... but not on iphone - because apple policy not allow such task... I do like google a lot. almost like my research assistant - however, I got really mad when I search for a water pump for a friend (capacity, etc.), the silly ads follow me few weeks after - from fish tank pump to garden... google better find a new model to earn a living... I feel sorry for Zuck. the chap really didn't see what it hit him - cambridge out smart him in many ways (differentiate from tracking girl faces to mind reading war fair are in the different IQ level). look like for fee model is not good for FB (according to poll, the chaps like free stuff just the penny pinch type. FB better find some new "feature" money earning model - or new platform that distance itself from the "delete FB" nerve. Best luck Zuck this afternoon - really in shark tank... hopefully, come out with some new idea after get beaten out of brain cells - got be in a new planet after that... (I am sure he would love to sit on space X rocket better than sitting in that hot chair in front of group of politicians..). Best of luck. (FB still have enough war chest that can get something wonderful out of it.... instead of share the data with someone else, use it for its own - design a smart city, solve some problem at school, etc.etc.)
    04-10-18 08:08 AM
    wondering if anyone got notification yesterday and start delete histories... https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/25/1...ection-android
    04-10-18 08:22 AM
    ank pump to garden... google better find a new model to earn a living...
    This is one reason that they allow you to go in and edit the data they have, by deleting what doesn't belong (or all of it, if you choose). You can also opt out of targeted ads entirely.
    04-10-18 01:55 PM
    not aware google allow me to edit my data (see my post) they collect - I don't have FB, no tweet, not linkedin either... Personally, as a friend of Google, I would say the ads provided good $ for their income in the past, while the party still go on, they better find new model to earn living fast (either for fee as "research assistant" or others... I know there are google fiber, few other gig not yet show any cash positive... Moon shot... it better have something better than anoy ads follow you weeks after it served its purpose on 1st day... guess what I did after? got a paper catalogue instead after...and left in the lab for use). - already use block pop up windows for other anoying stuff...
    by the way, Zuck is doing a good job in hearing... it reflect FB stock price.
    04-10-18 03:11 PM
    I find that if you report as many ads as inappropriate you eventually get next to no ads.
    Been doing it for about 4 months whenever I'm online. I don't have any google connected accounts or any social media. Only thing I use google for is browsing.

I think they gave up on me.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-18 10:22 PM
    I find that if you report as many ads as inappropriate you eventually get next to no ads.
    Been doing it for about 4 months whenever I'm online. I don't have any google connected accounts or any social media. Only thing I use google for is browsing.

I think they gave up on me.

Posted via CB10
    I stand corrected. You also start getting ads that have absolutely no meaning to any of your browsing habits. I think it messes with googles algorithm.
    Just the other day I got an ad for Connor McDavid fights Sidney Crosby.

I reported it as inappropriate.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-18 01:50 AM
    Oh please. If I was Sergey, I'd be sipping cocktails on my yacht heading to my island - both of which would be stocked with supermodels. I wouldn't be here on CB. LOL.
    Actually Sergey is here on 5 separate accounts he has both the Blackberry keyone the Blackberry motion and now the Blackberry key2 he does also sport an Apple iPhone and a Samsung Galaxy Note 7
    Last edited by nevilleadaniels; 01-01-21 at 10:34 PM.
    09-13-18 03:46 AM
86 ... 234