Google ending support for Google Sync for BlackBerry - Yahoo! Finance

In a posting to its corporate blog, Google (GOOG) stated that its ending support for Google Sync for BlackBerry (RIMM) beginning June 1. Also, Google announced it is making a number of API changes, adopting a one-year deprecation policy for certain APIs and removing the deprecation policy for others.

I will unfortunately have to be done with Blackberry then.
    04-20-12 03:07 PM
    why?

- dont need the app to sync with your gmail accounts.

04-20-12 03:17 PM
    Does it mean Google won't allow sync of any kind with BB? Email included?
    04-20-12 03:18 PM
    "BlackBerry users that want to access their Gmail accounts will still be able to do so on their phone's Web browser, or by synchronizing their Google account with BlackBerry service."

RIM said in an e-mailed statement that the BlackBerry operating system supports "native" Gmail so a dedicated app is not needed to access its messages. Native describes the ability to synch e-mail to your BlackBerry. The large majority of BlackBerry Gmail users already rely on that native support, the company said.

SO..... looks like google is just sending a shot across the bow of RIM because they see RIM is a threat with their 70million user base.

"Google is sticking it to RIM because RIM has become more and more of a competitor, from an ecosystem perspective and, pending the Motorola acquisition, from a device perspective," said Entner.

BTW they also pulled their apple app - but funny, no one reports that?
    spike12 and recompile like this.
    04-20-12 03:20 PM
    Does it mean Google won't allow sync of any kind with BB? Email included?
    That's what I was wondering. Not sure if they mean just the app Google Sync provided by Google. In the BB email setup you can sync contacts, calendars, and mail so hopefully that's not what this is about.
    04-20-12 03:21 PM
    why?

- dont need the app to sync with your gmail accounts.

Nope.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I was concerned.
    With 70 Million users internationally why not just include a native Blackberry email app?

I really don't mind giving up my gmail account as I have been looking to distance myself and wouldn't mind my email ending with @Blackberry.com. Though something cooler like @TruBerry.com or @TheBerry.com or something.
    04-20-12 03:25 PM
    Reading between the lines a bit because details are sparse, it sounds like the existing native BlackBerry mail system will continue to handle Gmail.
    04-20-12 03:42 PM
    Reading between the lines a bit because details are sparse, it sounds like the existing native BlackBerry mail system will continue to handle Gmail.
    Which is how it should be. The Gmail App is horrendous.
    BearSnout and Stewartj1 like this.
    04-20-12 03:58 PM
    With 70 Million users internationally why not just include a native Blackberry email app?

I really don't mind giving up my gmail account as I have been looking to distance myself and wouldn't mind my email ending with @Blackberry.com. Though something cooler like @TruBerry.com or @TheBerry.com or something.
    This is what I was thinking, if BlackBerry had a native email I'd use it. I mean I only use Gmail...because...well...that's what is available? LoL Switching emails can be relatively annoying but I'd have no problem switching.
    04-20-12 04:18 PM
    No need to "read between the lines". It says so specifically. BIS will continue to natively support gmail (which it's done for a couple years now). Can't be much clearer. Yet, a lot of people seem to keep missing that point.
    04-20-12 04:21 PM
    I'm a BES user and I don't use GMail on my BlackBerry, but I do use GMail on my HTC Thunderbolt. I use Google Sync to keep the contacts on the Thunderbolt in sync with the BlackBerry, which is synced to Outlook by BES. It sounds like their change will break my implementation.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-20-12 04:26 PM
    Reducing my use of google was a side benefit of using a Blackberry. It just feels a little creepy for google to be in so many aspects of a person's life. Kind of like a big brother watching you thing. But you know, to each his own.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-20-12 04:52 PM
    I can deal with Outlook. I think... Not sure about giving up my Gmail. But if Google is going to play dirty...I will too.
    04-20-12 05:08 PM
    So gmail still works? And the app was horrible anyway? How is this news?
    04-20-12 05:27 PM
    I'm seeing more of.....to many company's are leaving BlackBerry (RIM) ......that's what I'm getting from this message. Correct me if I'm wrong, but third party apps are kinda important from a day to day standpoint. Every time I turn around (exaggeration), I'm reading, "BlackBerry device not supported at this time".........its becoming more frequent on a regular basis.
    04-20-12 05:42 PM
    OK how do I switch to BIS for my email now? I need details and instructions please.
    04-20-12 05:58 PM
    Tell me.
    I am essentially an Apple guy, except my main handheld device is now the 9790 even though I also have the IP4s. Calendar sync is important to me, and I sync my iCal to Google Calendar via Spanningsync, which has been flawless.
    But you mean the Google cal no longer syncs with BBs? If that's the case, time to switch back to the iPhone.
    04-20-12 06:39 PM
    Tell me.
    I am essentially an Apple guy, except my main handheld device is now the 9790 even though I also have the IP4s. Calendar sync is important to me, and I sync my iCal to Google Calendar via Spanningsync, which has been flawless.
    But you mean the Google cal no longer syncs with BBs? If that's the case, time to switch back to the iPhone.
    Sorry to have wasted the bandwidth on this one I panicked.
    So, they are only saying that Google Sync won't be supported after 6/1. That's not bad.
    I already have it on my BB and it will continue to work after 6/1. No problem.
    04-20-12 08:59 PM
    No surprise here. All of the Google apps for BlackBerry seem pretty half-assed.
    04-20-12 10:36 PM
    OK how do I switch to BIS for my email now? I need details and instructions please.
    Just go to email setup on your BB and add a new account. Type in your user name and password for Gmail and it's done.
    04-20-12 11:53 PM
    Just set up my 9790 to sync contacts and calendar using bis rather than the Google sync app. Problem solved. I also deleted the Google sync app.
    Last edited by SnoozerBold; 04-21-12 at 06:42 AM.
    04-21-12 06:30 AM
    I can deal with Outlook. I think... Not sure about giving up my Gmail. But if Google is going to play dirty...I will too.
    I'm curious. What is so great about Gmail? I have Gmail, too, but I don't notice any difference nor see that it's any better or worse than Yahoo, Hotmail, or AOL mail.
    04-21-12 07:28 AM
    I'm curious. What is so great about Gmail? I have Gmail, too, but I don't notice any difference nor see that it's any better or worse than Yahoo, Hotmail, or AOL mail.
    i dont know about hte rest but for me its the space. I use my Gmail as a storage for a lot of my pics and files. Kind of like what the Cloud is now LOL
    04-21-12 09:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD