Remember this ActiveSync post? And remember I inferred there would be GMail changes coming? Well, ya. Granted, not everyone is a GMail user but this just shows why that post was kinda far fetched. Looking at you E92Vancouver .. lol . Now, to find out what exactly it means for BlackBerry 10.

Google Sync was designed to allow access to Google Mail, Calendar and Contacts via the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync� protocol. With the recent launch of CardDAV, Google now offers similar access via IMAP, CalDAV and CardDAV, making it possible to build a seamless sync experience using open protocols. Starting January 30, 2013, consumers won't be able to set up new devices using Google Sync; however, existing Google Sync connections will continue to function. Google Sync will continue to be fully supported for Google Apps for Business, Government and Education. Users of those products are unaffected by this announcement.
    Official Google Blog: Winter cleaning

12-14-12 02:46 PM
    What did I miss lol.
    12-14-12 02:56 PM
    Starting January 30, 2013, consumers won't be able to set up new devices using Google Sync; however, existing Google Sync connections will continue to function. Google Sync will continue to be fully supported for Google Apps for Business, Government and Education. Users of those products are unaffected by this announcement.
    Wtf? Conspiracy?
    12-14-12 02:59 PM
    "winter cleaning". Sarcasm?????
    12-14-12 03:03 PM
    So help me understand this, last year google took away the google sync app I used on my old 9000 to do contacts and calendar. Now that RIM produced the Enterprise activation app gmail worked well on my 9930. Now they are taking that away? And not only on BBs , but IOS also? If I have to wipe my phone when I set up email again will there still be the gmail option? Including contacts and calednder ? Will IOS users be forced to use the gmail app only? What would google reasoning be? How will this effect BB10?
    12-15-12 06:03 AM
    So help me understand this, last year google took away the google sync app I used on my old 9000 to do contacts and calendar. Now that RIM produced the Enterprise activation app gmail worked well on my 9930. Now they are taking that away?
    Ok, let's get this straight, they're not taking it away. They're making you pay for it. Furthermore if you don't pay for it, it only prevents installations on new devices, existing Google Sync connections will continue to function. Finally, biz, gov, and ed users won't be affected.
    12-15-12 06:07 AM
    I would pay for it. I have gotten spoiled using the activesync on multiple devices. Does anybody have the link for the paid version. I have searched in the past and have not found it.
    Thanks
    12-15-12 06:18 AM
    Google sync is not working on my 9810 as of this morning. Getting a failed message. Is this just a coincidence?
    12-15-12 06:31 AM
    I would pay for it. I have gotten spoiled using the activesync on multiple devices. Does anybody have the link for the paid version. I have searched in the past and have not found it.
    Thanks
    You don't have to pay for it until you actually have a new device to install. I guess if you want to get it pre-emptively, that's up to you. Anyway, here's the link:

Welcome to Google Apps
    12-15-12 06:33 AM
    Ok, let's get this straight, they're not taking it away. They're making you pay for it. Furthermore if you don't pay for it, it only prevents installations on new devices, existing Google Sync connections will continue to function. Finally, biz, gov, and ed users won't be affected.
    What I read is you cannot pay for it unless you have a business or education pay plan. No consumer support, period.

This sucks on multiple levels. Hopefully BB10 will at least have Gmail IMAP and CalDav included for direct Google support like iOS. This blows for choice however. I was going to try Windows Phone 8, which I like a lot. This blows that and is pointed at MS for sure.

These little wars between Apple, Google and Microsoft are understandable in some areas and just petty in others.
    12-15-12 06:37 AM
    Ugh! I was using my personal Gmail account for everything. I have years worth of archived emails there. Looks like there's no way to take it with me to Google Apps - I have to just do a clean break and start over in order to keep using BIS Gmail sync.
    12-15-12 06:39 AM
    Ugh! I was using my personal Gmail account for everything. I have years worth of archived emails there. Looks like there's no way to take it with me to Google Apps - I have to just do a clean break and start over in order to keep using BIS Gmail sync.
    Actually, I take this back. Looks like BB10 will have CardDAV and CalDAV. I'm going to hang on until this new Bold (with a keyboard) comes out. I'm buying a SEDIO extended battery for my 9900 to tide me me over until then. Just took a fourth and fifth look at Android and I still can't buy one. I love my Berry!!
    12-15-12 06:45 AM
    What I read is you cannot pay for it unless you have a business or education pay plan. No consumer support, period.
    You can just sign up. It's like $5 per user, per month.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 12-15-12 at 07:02 AM.
    12-15-12 06:47 AM
    All this really means is that rim and microsoft need to implement calDAV and cardDAV into their os's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    12-15-12 06:49 AM
    So wait - where is the link? I can just upgrade my @gmail.com account? I will happily pay. All I've read is that you must have a custom domain name through Google Apps.

Your help is much appreciated!! Thanks man!
    12-15-12 07:06 AM
    So wait - where is the link? I can just upgrade my @gmail.com account? I will happily pay. All I've read is that you must have a custom domain name through Google Apps.

Your help is much appreciated!! Thanks man!
    Yah, the other downside in addition to paying every month, or once a year, is you have to have your own domain name. If you have one already, you can use that, you just have to update the MX fields. If not, you have to sign up for one somewhere like Godaddy or Google. Here's the link:

Welcome to Google Apps

Here's a link on how to do the transition:

Transitioning to a Google Apps account

Whether EAS is worth it.... that's up to you to decide.
    12-15-12 07:54 AM
    From what I read, it doesn't affect Gmail through BIS, since that connection is already in place. It does affect the Google Sync app that we would install separately. If you let BIS handle the synchronization, it should still work. At least for now?

It shouldn't affect PlayBook or BB10 since those already use CalDav and CardDav.
    12-15-12 07:55 AM
    2 questions..

When it comes to the playbook, and BB10.. while calDAV and carDAV are fine options to sync calendar and contacts.. won't email notifications move from instant push to a 5 minute wait for IMAP (I know it remains for existing devices, I'm assuming say you attach a new BB10 device to your gmail account in February..)

Secondly, it says google apps users get to keep active sync, and in some of the documentation is mentions "paid users".. google apps NOW being offered only a paid service, but there are many who are grandfathered in to google apps for free..does anyone have a definite answer on whether existing free google apps users will be able to add new devices to active sync?
    12-31-12 07:57 PM
    2 questions..

When it comes to the playbook, and BB10.. while calDAV and carDAV are fine options to sync calendar and contacts.. won't email notifications move from instant push to a 5 minute wait for IMAP (I know it remains for existing devices, I'm assuming say you attach a new BB10 device to your gmail account in February..)

Secondly, it says google apps users get to keep active sync, and in some of the documentation is mentions "paid users".. google apps NOW being offered only a paid service, but there are many who are grandfathered in to google apps for free..does anyone have a definite answer on whether existing free google apps users will be able to add new devices to active sync?
    Yes to no1, but I am not sure about no2.
    01-01-13 08:40 AM
    Free Google Apps users will not be able to add new devices to Google Sync.
    01-01-13 08:44 AM
    Free Google Apps users will not be able to add new devices to Google Sync.
    I don't understand this move from Google. Shooting themselves in the foot me thinks.
    01-01-13 08:55 AM
    I don't understand this move from Google. Shooting themselves in the foot me thinks.
    EAS is not open source, so they have to pay MS to use it. They're not getting anything from free users, not even ad views, so I suspect it's a monetizing move. It doesn't affect Gmail users on Android, since it uses its own protocol for instant email. iOS users of Gmail can opt to use the Gmail app, which does push through Apple's notification system. From all reports, it works fine, and many prefer it. I haven't tried it out myself, but I might try it out for my personal email sometime in the future when EAS gets completely shuttered. Then again, I might just switch to IMAP. I have my email set to fetch every hour so IMAP would work fine for me.
    01-01-13 09:53 AM
    EAS is not open source, so they have to pay MS to use it. They're not getting anything from free users, not even ad views, so I suspect it's a monetizing move. It doesn't affect Gmail users on Android, since it uses its own protocol for instant email. iOS users of Gmail can opt to use the Gmail app, which does push through Apple's notification system. From all reports, it works fine, and many prefer it. I haven't tried it out myself, but I might try it out for my personal email sometime in the future when EAS gets completely shuttered. Then again, I might just switch to IMAP. I have my email set to fetch every hour so IMAP would work fine for me.

I'm sure it makes people wonder what are they going to pull the plug off next. So ios users will no longer have push gmail in the native mail app?
    01-01-13 11:24 AM
    I'm sure it makes people wonder what are they going to pull the plug off next. So ios users will no longer have push gmail in the native mail app?
    Non-paying iOS users will no longer have push Gmail in the native email app on devices set up after the cut off date. People who use it now will be able to use it until they stop using their devices. There's been no notice of suspension of services, and they've reiterated that devices that use it now will continue to be able to do so.

I think the situation will change. The set of iOS users who use Gmail is pretty large. They'll probably implement something similar to how Yahoo mail works on iOS. Then again, maybe they won't.
    01-01-13 11:46 AM
    ... I suspect it's a monetizing move.
    Well it's going to work on me I guess.. my BB10 phone won't be available until after the cut off date, and I will not accept a 5 minute delay on my email, so I guess I'll be bumping my google apps account up to the paid version. I like google apps, and unlike some I don't feel they owe me anything, the service is worth the 5 bucks a month.
    01-01-13 06:33 PM
49 12