So, I'm wondering (Puz_zled, one might say) why this wasn't a major news story with a video mea culpa from whoever the wonderkid CEO of that not being evil yet we can't even seem to be able to deliver your mail search corporation?? Just Wondering.....

Google Apologizes for Latest Gmail Outage

By Adam Dickter
    December 11, 2012 10:42AM

"The shift toward embracing cloud-like services such as Gmail often happens without much consideration of its long-term implications for critical communications functions," said analyst Charles King. "Will Google Drive eventually crash? Probably....The trick lies in determining how you can garner the benefits of that service while also mitigating the risk."

Today's users can carry your enterprise in their pocket. Unsecured, your business data and apps can expose you to risk and in violation of regulatory compliance requirements. Discover new, end-to-end strategies that can significantly strengthen your security posture by watching the webinar.

For the third time in five months, potentially millions of Gmail users were unable to access their accounts in some parts of the world due to an unexplained outage. The e-mail blackout occurred about 2 p.m. EST Monday.
    According to some published reports the outage also affected other Google services such as Google Drive, the new cloud -based storage system, Google Docs and Google Play, the mobile apps and content store.

Google did not acknowledge the issue on its own official blog but added its symbol for "service disruption" with Monday's date on the dashboard for Google Apps under Google Mail, Google Drive and Admin control panel/ABI.

Sorry About That

In a later statement published by some media, Google said "we are currently experiencing an issue with some Google services. For anyone who is affected we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing."

Using a New York-based account on Monday we experienced no issues with Gmail, but sporadic reports suggested an authentication issue, particularly when used with Google's Chrome browser.

According to October figures from research firm comScore, Gmail is the world's top e-mail provider, with 287,913,000 unique visitors that month, compared with 286,238,000 for Microsoft 's once dominant Hotmail and 281,722,000 for Yahoo! Mail. The figures were for worldwide users.

"Google's service has become so broadly and commonly used -- partly due to the success of Android phones -- that any problem becomes immediately, often overly amplified," said Charles King, principal analyst at Pund-IT.

Could frequent outages hurt Gmail's market share?

"Over time, I don't see the situation changing much -- though it could worsen if continuing growth results in more outages," King told us. "However, I doubt it will materially impact the company's success or position in this market."

He noted that users of e-mail as opposed to texting, instant messaging or other options tend to be older than the "youthful, free-spending consumers sought after by most vendors." And anyway, how much can people complain about kinks in a free service?

But losing access to e-mail seems less of a serious issue than the potential loss of documents, photos or other data placed in the trust of Google via Drive.

Backing Up Is Essential

"The shift toward embracing cloud-like services such as Gmail often happens without much consideration of its long-term implications for critical communications functions (like e-mail)," King said. "Will Google Drive eventually crash? Probably -- that's the nature of the IT beast. The trick lies in determining how you can garner the benefits of that service while also mitigating the risk."

King added that in a world of increasingly multi-dimensional digital communication , its a mistake for users to entrust communication to a single technology, provider or outlet. "That way lies almost certain -- eventually, anyway -- failure."
    Last edited by Puz_zled; 12-18-12 at 04:19 PM. Reason: added article
    12-18-12 04:12 PM
    What outage?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    12-18-12 04:18 PM
    Link?
    Extraletters
    12-18-12 04:21 PM
    There was a big problem with Gmail. Using their Chrome browser made it even worse, causing the browser to crash. It was all over Twitter for a few seconds when it happened but then disappeared immediately. If it was RIM, everyone would've known about it, would've been all over the press, on BGR, and on the local news.
    12-18-12 04:41 PM
    Thank you for getting my point! No one heard about this. Google suppressed its own negative press? Most people do search through their engine and Google gets to decide what comes up on the first page. hmmmm
    spike12 likes this.
    12-18-12 05:28 PM
    Link?
    Extraletters
    Sorry, dropped the ball there. This is where I came across the story, but there are others if you search the title. None of them I would call major tech news sites or mainstream news sites for that matter.
    Google Apologizes for Latest Gmail Outage | NewsFactor Network
    12-18-12 05:42 PM
    I read about it on twitter, but never affected.
    I didn't even feel the bump in the road...
    This is old news and was over a week ago anyway...
    12-18-12 05:51 PM
    Sorry, dropped the ball there. This is where I came across the story, but there are others if you search the title. None of them I would call major tech news sites or mainstream news sites for that matter.
    Google Apologizes for Latest Gmail Outage | NewsFactor Network
    Gizmodo, Ars, and slashdot all had articles about the outage and the cause. It was also more than a week ago which is probably why you aren't finding it on the front pages today.

It was an 18 minute outage, they could manage one of those every month and still achieve 99.99% uptime.
    12-18-12 07:16 PM
    Will it be rehashed in every Google news story after this?
    12-18-12 07:50 PM
    There was a big problem with Gmail. Using their Chrome browser made it even worse, causing the browser to crash. It was all over Twitter for a few seconds when it happened but then disappeared immediately. If it was RIM, everyone would've known about it, would've been all over the press, on BGR, and on the local news.
    This happened the other week. I was using Chrome to view the coverage on it and gmail on both my Android device and MacBook/PC without any problems. I don't know how many people were effected.
    12-18-12 08:06 PM
    Oh so I guess op was just looking for something negative about Google for whatever reason and came across a week old news story and thought it was today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    12-18-12 09:02 PM
    No I obviously realized it was a week old. My point was, as has been pointed out by Mr. Scionic Man (thankyou) that unlike RIM's outages, no matter how minor, this was not picked up by any mainstream news outlets or re-hashed over and over in any and all articles about Google so that it soon came to define the company in the minds of general consumers. That's all. Why are RIM's outages trumpeted from the rooftops, while Apple's and Googles outages slide by un-noticed. Just wondering.
    12-18-12 09:14 PM
    You are comparing a 18 minute outage from google with a 3 day outage from RIM? That is the only "outage" that i can really say sticks in anybodies minds about RIM
    12-18-12 09:52 PM
    Google provides excellent services so far
    12-18-12 10:04 PM
    You are comparing a 18 minute outage from google with a 3 day outage from RIM? That is the only "outage" that i can really say sticks in anybodies minds about RIM
    not to mention BIS is an additional 10 to 20 dollars paid for by the user every month while gmail is free. you tend to expect better service for one which you pay for no?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-18-12 10:30 PM