Lol. Once again, I am on crackberry in the midst of the night but tonight I am sick as well .

Note my joking emoticon though too =P Just passed over your thanks I guess. Maybe cause it wasn't specifically to me, my ego didn't recognize it

How close is your meters? If its 100 or less, you may have a gps lock. Cell triangulation for me is always 4 digits. GPS lock I've had anywhere from 0 meters, 10, 30, 80, 100.
    its all good, late for all I guess.

Location has always been 4 digit nothing even close to gps level. Like I said I would feel a lot better if it just acted like it was trying to use gps. the way it acts it doesn't know I have a gps at all. I posted on Google's mobile forum but no luck so far.

I have done tons of reading on this over the last 3 days. Just not sure what makes some peoples work fine and others break. There are no settings to control it so it must just be pure F.M.
    03-29-09 02:13 AM
    You know, I just had an idea. May sound crazy but go with me.

Open Google Maps and find your current location manually where gps should lock. Mark it. Close gmaps.

Disable your data and radio and everything but leave GPS on.

Reopen gmaps and Menu>My Location.

Move your position a bit away but still visible of your marked location. If it gets a lock, should move there but wont load the map images.

My theory is that it should try to get a gps lock. Unable to get cell triangulation or load maps, it should only be trying a gps lock.

I have no idea if it would work like that but thats what forums are for. Ideas and all (>^_^)>
    03-29-09 02:18 AM
    You know, I just had an idea. May sound crazy but go with me.

Open Google Maps and find your current location manually where gps should lock. Mark it. Close gmaps.

Disable your data and radio and everything but leave GPS on.

Reopen gmaps and Menu>My Location.

Move your position a bit away but still visible of your marked location. If it gets a lock, should move there but wont load the map images.

My theory is that it should try to get a gps lock. Unable to get cell triangulation or load maps, it should only be trying a gps lock.

I have no idea if it would work like that but thats what forums are for. Ideas and all (>^_^)>
    With the cell signal off bbmaps would not get a gps lock (maybe I didn't give it long enough).

With the cell signal off gmaps kept saying "your location is temporarily unavailable"
    03-29-09 02:36 AM
    Weird, who knew you needed a cell signal to use gps =P.

What about GPSED? That just shows the lat/long, etc. No maps. Although if neither of those work, I doubt it.
    03-29-09 02:40 AM
    Well I must say goodbye for now viper. I hope you can get it working. Try the fix in my guide if you'd like and let me know how it works out. I have put my PIN at the top of the guide so you or anyone else can always reach me if you have any questions, tips, etc.
    03-29-09 03:01 AM
    well I thought live search was working but no. I can turn on GPS within live and it says in the configuration it has a valid fix but it picks a random location near me (but nowhere close).

Google may be doing the same thing and I just can't see it.

bbmaps and gpsed = working fine
    google maps and live search = not working

Keep trying stuff.
    03-29-09 12:14 PM
    Have you tried anything else other than mapping programs to see if they get a signal? I really have no clue why only bbmaps and gpsed would work and the others wouldn't.

Do you have the .131 OS?
    03-29-09 11:14 PM
    Viper, I have the same exact problem. I have posted a thread about gps differences with 8330's and 8330m's. Which is yours?

My wife has a 8330 and google maps works with gps just fine. My 8330m from the same carrier works with bb maps, telmap, etc. just fine, but not with google maps.

On hers, when no gps signal is available (inside), it gives the triangulated location and says something about searching for gps. On mine, I get no such text about gps. Like you say, it looks like it isn't even trying.

I, too, have tried everything posted here with no luck

Would love to heard an updated if you find a fix!

Oh, my OS is 4.5.0.127

VV
    03-30-09 07:47 AM
    I have the 8330m.

I do have the .131 os

bbmaps and gpsed work fine. Google maps and Live search do not work. Google maps doesn't even try to use the GPS. Live search lets me configure the gps and says that it gets a valid lock but when you look at the map your position never moves and the map does not indicate your actual location but somewhere very close.

At this point I am out of things to try. I could try to downgrade to OS 4.3 but I don't want to mess up a work device.

I am hoping a software bug is identified at some point and a new os is released to fix this.
    Last edited by viper157; 04-02-09 at 02:20 PM.
    03-30-09 10:25 PM
    The internal GPS from the test screen of the status window shows that the gps is working fine and it gets a lock within seconds.

I hesitate to say this because I know people will jump all over it but its acting like people describe the Verizon device. The GPS is there and works for certain apps but not others.

It has to be one of these
    - bad hardware
    - bad os
    - bad apps
    03-30-09 10:34 PM
    Not sure why I didn't see this before but I have an 8330m and not a straight 8330. We ordered 8330's and I missed it on the Options about screen.

I guess that would match with the issue VetteVert was having.

Still no luck getting it working though
    04-02-09 02:19 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD