Ok, to clarify, I'me refering about times when even if very urgent it's easier to send an email when there's quite a bit of information to convey to the other person as the other person would have to stop whatever their doing and start to write all the info down. In such times it pays to have blackberry push email as you get the email in seconds.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Like Chrisy just said, primary gmail DOES come w/in seconds, just like my bb used to. My primary gmail account was my main account when I had my bb as well. All my other accounts come in UP TO 10 minutes (usually a lot sooner, but I'm being realistic in saying that sometimes I do get them w/ about a 10 min delay), but those aren't really important email accounts for me. Those are mainly for subscriptions, etc. All the important people in my life know my primary gmail account, & if they need to send me info asap they know to send it to me there.
    03-25-11 02:47 PM
    No idea. Like I said I use gmail. Only have one email addy.

I used to think I didn't need push email. But after a bank alert that helped me catch something just in time, I realized how important push is to me.

I am looking forward to seeing the browser on QNX devices. That's the main reason I Blackberry.
    03-25-11 02:47 PM
    Well yeah, I'm not gonna argue with that, I would expect gmail to be fast on an android but you can't call yahoo, hotmail etc "push" if they take up to 10 minutes.
    For example my yahoo email is connected to ebay and paypal. When I buy something I get the emails from both before my laptop screen refreshes.

03-25-11 02:53 PM
    If you're a business user that depends on email w/in seconds or else it'll cost you your job, then yeah bb is for you. Me? I'm a user who likes multitasking w/ widgets & multiple home screens. I like being able to interact w/ various apps (like calendar) w/o actually having to go into the app. I like being able to read FULL emails. I like a robust browsing experience. All that stuff means more to me than getting emails w/in a few seconds.
    03-25-11 02:53 PM
    I understand gmail is fast but what about the rest, if they're push how come they take up to 10 minutes?

you have options, you can set them up for push service or even on set times if you want as can be seen here for my hotmail account. Its the same for my exchange account.

pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-25-11 02:56 PM
    If you're a business user that depends on email w/in seconds or else it'll cost you your job, then yeah bb is for you. Me? I'm a user who likes multitasking w/ widgets & multiple home screens. I like being able to interact w/ various apps (like calendar) w/o actually having to go into the app. I like being able to read FULL emails. I like a robust browsing experience. All that stuff means more to me than getting emails w/in a few seconds.
    Fairplay, somebody like you doesn't need a blackberry but that's not what blackberry is about in the first place and I hope blackberry doesn't turn that way.

03-25-11 02:58 PM
    you have options, you can set them up for push service or even on set times if you want as can be seen here for my hotmail account. Its the same for my exchange account.

Yeah but if they take up to 10 minutes set at push is it really push?

pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-25-11 02:59 PM
    LOL! Of course! I forgot about that, howarmat. For the record, belfast, I just checked my own mail settings. I have it set to check mail every 15 minutes :P.
    03-25-11 03:01 PM
    Fyi, some of those items are doable on BB, just a matter of how you value the execution.

The homescreens thing isn't that hard to do in the BB theme creator.
    You can't add calendar widgets, but you can easily add calendar items to the today screen that instantly link to the Calendar app, thats easy to do.
    03-25-11 03:02 PM
    LOL! Of course! I forgot about that, howarmat. For the record, belfast, I just checked my own mail settings. I have it set to check mail every 15 minutes :P.
    Lol, can you set it at push and test it? But be honest about the results

03-25-11 03:03 PM
    BlackBerry isn't just a business phone. If they go that way only RIM won't make it. That's why they came out with the Storm. Having push email is no longer unique.

My dad runs his own small business using an iPhone.

I, like many others, want more than just email. I want a communications device. I use my phone in place of a PC, for every day tasks and to stay in touch.

But I don't see why you couldnt do business on an iPhone or Android.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 03-25-11 at 03:07 PM.
    03-25-11 03:04 PM
    Yeah but if they take up to 10 minutes set at push is it really push?

Sounds more like a pop3 push hybrid, push email does not poll on intervals. If you look at the real implementation of push email, it doesnt have polling intervals to check the inbox, the email is actually "pushed" (sent by) by the e-mail agent, not checked by the client. In the bare definition, that picture is not true push. That looks like how outlook gets emails, by checking the inbox for new emails.
    Last edited by gbsn; 03-25-11 at 03:09 PM.
    03-25-11 03:05 PM
    Lol, can you set it at push and test it? But be honest about the results

I was just getting ready to do that . One sec.
    03-25-11 03:05 PM
    Let me just say that, in my opinion, android absolutely destroys blackberry. i don't know how theres even a comparison, lol.
    Are you trying to compare a Curve 8520 to the latest android?? Cmon it doesnt even have os6!
    03-25-11 03:06 PM
    Fyi, some of those items are doable on BB, just a matter of how you value the execution.

The homescreens thing isn't that hard to do in the BB theme creator.
    You can't add calendar widgets, but you can easily add calendar items to the today screen that instantly link to the Calendar app, thats easy to do.
    I realize this, I was a former bb owner. To me, it is all about the execution. The calendar widget was just one example. In the actual widget, I can actually scroll through my appointments, it isn't just a "view."
    03-25-11 03:06 PM
    BlackBerry isn't just a business phone. If they go that way only RIM won't make it. My dad runs his own small business using an iPhone.

I, like many others, want more than just email. I wamt a communications device. I use my phone in place of a PC, for everu day tasks and to stay in touch.

But I don't see why you couldnt do business on an iPhone or Android.
    Ah don't worry, teenagers and students in UK have sescovered BBM and with the data plan costing �5 a month on prepay you can't look anywhere without seeing a blackberry or hear it ring. Might become embarrassing to own a blackberry if it keeps going that way lol

03-25-11 03:07 PM
    I changed my settings to push, & my test email came within 10 seconds. I sent an email from my gmail account (on my computer) to my yahoo account.
    03-25-11 03:07 PM
    I changed my settings to push, & my test email came within 10 seconds. I sent an email from my gmail account (on my computer) to my yahoo account.
    Keep testing lol, leave it like that for a day or two to put this matter to rest take a note on the battery life too

03-25-11 03:10 PM
    Ah don't worry, teenagers and students in UK have sescovered BBM and with the data plan costing �5 a month on prepay you can't look anywhere without seeing a blackberry or hear it ring. Might become embarrassing to own a blackberry if it keeps going that way lol

Lol. I'm actually missing BBM! Didn't think I would.
    03-25-11 03:10 PM
    Keep testing lol, leave it like that for a day or two to put this matter to rest take a note on the battery life too

Will do, but I really don't get many emails to those other email addys besides my main gmail one. I'll continue the test, though.
    03-25-11 03:11 PM
    Back in February I travelled to Los Angeles to do a system install. There were two days of pretty intense work.
    One of my contractors uses an Android device, can't remember which one. He, of course, is not on our network, but his home office allows him to use his personal device for business. So there we were, in the middle of an intense install, when halfway through the day he would begin looking for outlets to plug in. He had to install about twenty computers scattered over an office, and he couldn't carry his phone which was attached to the unit supervisor's wall on her desk. Of course, that meant that he could not communicate with either his home office or our headquarters. When he had to troubleshoot, he simply was not as effective as he should have been.
    The most ridiculous moment came when he literally carried my BB micro usb cable to plug into whichever desktop he was working on.

Since he's a contractor, I can't legally ask him nor provide him with a spare battery.

For our Reno install earlier this month, he showed up with a Torch. A lot smoother, less complicated, and much easier to communicate. Much less stressful for everyone concerned.

Sometimes it's not just plugging a device in while one sleeps - sometimes it's getting through an intense work day in a normal office setting.
    I got to work at 9am today. It's 4pm now and by 9650 is on the charger because the battery is almost dead from moderate use. My Curve 8530 couldn't get through an entire day either without a charge. My coworker that has a Tour is always looking for someplace to charge her phone. I don't like Android and am very happy with my Bold, but BB battery life is VASTLY overstated.
    03-25-11 03:14 PM
    But is it worth the 12- hours battery life? Just to have a larger screen that gets cut in half anyway when typing? That screen is larger only when viewing something, not when you're composing an email/text etc so it's only half of benefit.

When I had the Evo I got only 6-8 when I was trying to use it like my BB Bold. Horrible!
    03-25-11 03:19 PM
    Well, tell that to all the Android people on this forum, I don't think my phone is better, I'm just being told all the time that Android is better, which I fail to see on most parts. Some things are better, yes, but they come at a cost, and that's mainly battery life.

Just curious why are all the Android people still on CB. Isnt there Android Central??
    03-25-11 03:21 PM
    Leaving BB for an Android is fine, your choice, your phone. Most of us are even interested in hearing about what you like more about Android ... once. And civilly. It's the people who jump ship - or were never even on board - then come back here on BlackBerry-focused forums in thread after thread insisting that BlackBerries suck simply because they like their Androids better. All it takes is one mention of Android in any given thread for it to deteriorate into yet another pissing contest with the same friggn' lame-a$$ arguments. You like your Android? Great! I'm ecstatic for you. But goddammit quit throwing back in the faces of those of us who still prefer our BB's how wonderful Android is and how much BB's suck. Of course there are BB cheerleaders who are almost as bad and just throw fuel on the fire, but the way I see it they're just defending their turf. The site is called CrackBerry after all, not Fandroid.

You like yours, I like mine. STFU and move on.

Priceless!!!
    03-25-11 03:23 PM
    I got to work at 9am today. It's 4pm now and by 9650 is on the charger because the battery is almost dead from moderate use. My Curve 8530 couldn't get through an entire day either without a charge. My coworker that has a Tour is always looking for someplace to charge her phone. I don't like Android and am very happy with my Bold, but BB battery life is VASTLY overstated.
    Just hold down the BB Button and exit out all the apps you have running in the background I can get easily 14 hrs on my Bold.
    03-25-11 03:24 PM
149 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD