Well, I charge my phone overnight as well regardless, I do run my business on my 9700 and I can't take chances. However, if I go away for a weekend I don't have to worry about bringing a charger.
    But you list a few things there as your phone working harder to do them, gmail push and pulling your other emails every 5 minutes. Well this is where any blackberry clearly wins, it gets all emails pushed in seconds at no extra cost to the battery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Considering most of those email accounts that are pulled are mostly junkmail, I'm okay with that. The important ones are the gmail.

And sorry, my Berry sucked in comparison - thanks to truncating.

Nothing RIM has is better than what I get on my current phone. The cons far outweigh the only pro RIM has left...it's keyboard.

Worst case scenario- CARRY A DAMN SPARE BATTERY. I did with all my BB's and I do with my Android. The last time I had to use it, however, was in early December.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 03-23-11 at 04:28 PM.
    03-23-11 04:26 PM
    Personally, my BB keeps me happier than any smartphone I have ever used, with the keyboard being a piece of the whole.
    Truncation is not a problem for me since at work no one mails huge unzipped attachments since our mail is capped anyway. We use Sharepoint or even Alfresco for large attachments or collaborative efforts. For my personal email I don't get enormous files - we have blogs, Facebook or MySpace for pics, etc. Anything else can wait until I can get to my laptop.
    I like how my email is handled, my Calendar, Tasks, BBM, my banking apps, and the few apps I've bought....the BB OS works beautifully for me. I *am* getting an iP5, just because I always loved the look of it.
    03-24-11 06:39 AM
    Blackberry users mistakenly assume everyone wants to keep their phone off the charger for 3 days between chargers, when almost everything using a micro USB cable and it's trivial to charge the phone almost everywhere a plug or computer exists.
    Big misconception here, and an unnecessarily broad generalization. It's not that we think everyone wants to go three days between charges, it's simply the fact that, for the most part, BB's can go longer between charges if they have to without the user being concerned that the phone will crap out on them if they don't have a cable handy or a convenient charging point isn't available. I.e., I don't have to plan my day - or even an overnight trip - around keeping my phone charged. It's not the end-all/be-all of benefits, but it certainly is a nice one. Not important to you? I get that. Hi-def video and 3D gaming aren't important to me.

Last edited by 18to12fitty; 03-24-11 at 10:15 AM.
    03-24-11 10:08 AM
    Many work places are starting to block usb ports, my wife's work just did that a few days ago. Probably they want to stop people connecting their personal stuff to the work computers and it makes sense.
    03-24-11 10:16 AM
    It's sad that all that BlackBerry has going for it now is battery life.

There are plenty of feature phones that do email and last a week. Why not get one of those if battery is the most important feature?

How many of us are ever away from a power source for more than 7 hours? Probably none.
    03-24-11 10:23 AM
    Many work places are starting to block usb ports, my wife's work just did that a few days ago. Probably they want to stop people connecting their personal stuff to the work computers and it makes sense.
    Very true - I didn't even think about that. They shut off the USB ports company-wide at my place last year to all unauthorized devices, which includes memory sticks, music players, and of course phones.

03-24-11 10:23 AM
    I can only give my experience and I don't want to suggest that this is the same for everyone.
    For me if your phone is a tool Android is not an option. I moved to Android for a while, Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant. I could never trust the battery life, this makes it unusable as a tool. I NEVER got emails as prompt as on my Berry. I would email myself from one account to the other and every email would arrive on the Blackberry instantly. Occasionally Gmail would arrive instantly on my android instantly. On my me.com account and my work account? 5 or 10 minutes on the Android. Was push set on work? yes, was 5 minute pull set on me.com? yes. This lack of instantaneous email makes Android not workable for me as a tool.
    Whenever the emails did arrive I simply could not master typing quickly on them. Did I use Swype? Yes. No matter how fast a person is with one finger it's never going to be as fast as two thumbs. I know people will say it is, but I believe these people can't type on a Blackberry as fast as I do.
    So, battery is unusable (charge during a work day? the stress of wondering if your phone is going to die before you can make it to a charger? wtf!). Email delivery is untrustworthy. Typing is less fluid. I simply cannot see how any serious business professional can opt for a Android over a Blackberry. You want to watch movies on a nice screen? Buy yourself an ipad 2 or a playbook! You want to play games? get a Nintendo 3DS. I know we shouldn't judge but if someone tells me that they can work fine with an android phone I seriously wonder how busy and mobile efficient they are.
    03-24-11 10:32 AM
    Not everyone uses their phone for business. I use to keep in touch with family and friends, for travel, music, internet, banking.

Not sure what settings you had but my Thunderbolt went 13 hours yesterday before I had to charge.

But like I said I'm not a business user
    03-24-11 10:36 AM
    It's sad that all that BlackBerry has going for it now is battery life.

There are plenty of feature phones that do email and last a week. Why not get one of those if battery is the most important feature?

How many of us are ever away from a power source for more than 7 hours? Probably none.
    Lack of qwerty is one, lack of push email and bbm is the other.

03-24-11 11:21 AM
    Not everyone uses their phone for business. I use to keep in touch with family and friends, for travel, music, internet, banking.

Not sure what settings you had but my Thunderbolt went 13 hours yesterday before I had to charge.

But what benefits do you get out of an android to make it worth putting up with a short battery life?

Browsing might be one but what else? All the things you listed above can be done on a blackberry too.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 03-24-11 at 11:37 AM.
    anon(73368) likes this.
    03-24-11 11:29 AM
    But what benefits do you get out of an android to make it worth putting up with a short battery life?

Browsing might be one but what else? All the things you listed above can be done on a blackberry too.
    1) Browsing is a much, much better experience.
    2) No truncated email and full HTML email easily.
    3) Tons of apps...I have found way more apps for my Android than were ever available for my Bold.
    4) Huge screen.
    5) Touch screen.
    6) Swype - makes KB entry a breeze for me.
    7) Fully cusomizable.
    8) Widgets - I use them all the time and love them. Easy access to Twitter, FaceBook, phone dialing, etc.

The list goes on and on. As for battery life, I charge my Captivate every night (I used to charge my Bold every night as well) and I get 12 to 14 hours of battery life every day with light to moderate use. I don't see the issue.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-24-11 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by chrisy520

the experience of all of those is a better experience on android and iOS imo. they are all better with a bigger screen too. the torch enhances the experience over a smaller screen for most things even. So the iphone and other android phones with bigger screens are at an advantage right there.
    Last edited by howarmat; 03-24-11 at 12:25 PM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-24-11 12:23 PM
    1) Browsing is a much, much better experience.
    2) No truncated email and full HTML email easily. - the only emails that get truncated for me are newsletters, no benefits for me here
    3) Tons of apps...I have found way more apps for my Android than were ever available for my Bold. - don't care much for apps
    4) Huge screen. - huge slab in your pocket
    5) Touch screen - that's a negative, I don't like touch screen
    6) Swype - makes KB entry a breeze for me.
    7) Fully cusomizable.- if you root it
    8) Widgets - I use them all the time and love them. Easy access to Twitter, FaceBook, phone dialing, etc. This is way better on blackberry where every letter is a shortcut and even more if you buy Quicklaunch

The list goes on and on. As for battery life, I charge my Captivate every night (I used to charge my Bold every night as well) and I get 12 to 14 hours of battery life every day with light to moderate use. I don't see the issue.
    These are things Android can do slightly better, they aren't bringing such huge benefits anyway

03-24-11 12:28 PM
    These are things Android can do slightly better, they aren't bringing such huge benefits anyway

Oh yeah? How so? "Slightly"? LOL...

Well, I guess that's the thing about opinions...we all have one.

Let me know when the 4.3" touch screen for the BB comes out, along with Swype and widgets and no truncated email.

I'm sorry, but I actually put some effort into my post to point out the differences for me personally. Seems you are in denial quite frankly.
    03-24-11 12:32 PM
    By the way, almost every letter on the blackberry qwerty keyboard is a speed dial, doesn't get any easier then this, just hold the letter down. 24 numbers you can call by holding a button down.

03-24-11 12:32 PM
    Oh yeah? How so? "Slightly"? LOL...

Well, I guess that's the thing about opinions...we all have one.

Let me know when the 4.3" touch screen for the BB comes out, along with Swype and widgets and no truncated email.

I'm sorry, but I actually put some effort into my post to point out the differences for me personally. Seems you are in denial quite frankly.
    Oh yeah, cuz everybody wants a huge slab of glass in their pockets all the time. Swype means nothing when you have a full physical qwerty, truncation does affect some people but I get one truncated email every month and that's a newsletter that I delete straight away.

As I said, these are not huge benefits.

03-24-11 12:36 PM
    the experience of all of those is a better experience on android and iOS imo. they are all better with a bigger screen too. the torch enhances the experience over a smaller screen for most things even. So the iphone and other android phones with bigger screens are at an advantage right there.
    But is it worth the 12- hours battery life? Just to have a larger screen that gets cut in half anyway when typing? That screen is larger only when viewing something, not when you're composing an email/text etc so it's only half of benefit.

03-24-11 12:42 PM
    So everyone, I just wanted to bid u all a farewell. Im no longer a berry owner, I now have a android. Thanknks for everything!

Duece, j man. :/

No reason to can't stalk theses forums to see how we doing.

03-24-11 12:44 PM
    But is it worth the 12- hours battery life? Just to have a larger screen that gets cut in half anyway when typing? That screen is larger only when viewing something, not when you're composing an email/text etc so it's only half of benefit.

Lets cut the argument here and just say each phone out today has its uses and some can only work for a certain person. Just because you think your phone is better doesn't mean it is. It's a damn phone and that's why there's so many choices because one form factor doesn't work for everyone.
    TheIgster likes this.
    03-24-11 12:52 PM
    Lets cut the argument here and just say each phone out today has its uses and some can only work for a certain person. Just because you think your phone is better doesn't mean it is. It's a damn phone and that's why there's so many choices because one form factor doesn't work for everyone.
    Well, tell that to all the Android people on this forum, I don't think my phone is better, I'm just being told all the time that Android is better, which I fail to see on most parts. Some things are better, yes, but they come at a cost, and that's mainly battery life.

03-24-11 01:04 PM
    Oh yeah, cuz everybody wants a huge slab of glass in their pockets all the time. Swype means nothing when you have a full physical qwerty, truncation does affect some people but I get one truncated email every month and that's a newsletter that I delete straight away.

As I said, these are not huge benefits.

I put my phone in my back pocket. Same as what I used to do with my Bold. There is no difference for me at all.

Swype means everything to ME. I can type 10 times faster than I ever could with the little physical KB on the Bold. I have big, fat fingers and it was always a struggle. Now I have no issues with my captivate and Swype on the screen KB.

I receive long emails from friends all the time. They were truncated constantly on my Bold. Now I don't have that issue anymore.

The benefits depend on the individual and I've been saying that all along. This is MY EXPERIENCE. Why is it that some BB users feel the need to try and tear down Android users who are happy with the switch they have made?

You like BB, great...it works for you. Android works BETTER for ME. End of story and that is what this thread has been about from the start. You don't need to defend your BB any longer. It works for you. Good. But don't say the benefits for some don't matter or they are not that big a deal. They are...for many.
    03-24-11 01:09 PM
    I put my phone in my back pocket. Same as what I used to do with my Bold. There is no difference for me at all.

Swype means everything to ME. I can type 10 times faster than I ever could with the little physical KB on the Bold. I have big, fat fingers and it was always a struggle. Now I have no issues with my captivate and Swype on the screen KB.

I receive long emails from friends all the time. They were truncated constantly on my Bold. Now I don't have that issue anymore.

The benefits depend on the individual and I've been saying that all along. This is MY EXPERIENCE. Why is it that some BB users feel the need to try and tear down Android users who are happy with the switch they have made?

You like BB, great...it works for you. Android works BETTER for ME. End of story and that is what this thread has been about from the start. You don't need to defend your BB any longer. It works for you. Good. But don't say the benefits for some don't matter or they are not that big a deal. They are...for many.
    That's not what the argument was about, it was about Android extra features vs loss of battery life. Is 12 hours or battery life really acceptable?

03-24-11 01:42 PM
    That's not what the argument was about, it was about Android extra features vs loss of battery life. Is 12 hours or battery life really acceptable?

We already know how great BB's battery life is. It's almost like you're trying to start an argument about how great battery life is on your phone against other phones. WHO CARES! This thread was about a valuable member who's found something better for themselves. It's becoming like everyother post where it turns into Android vs. BB.
    Chrisy and howarmat like this.
    03-24-11 01:52 PM

Argument? I thought this was a discussion.

I have no problems with my phone lasting 12 - 14 hours. In fact, yesterday with moderate usage, my phone was on from 8:00 AM to 1:30 AM and still had 45% battery life, so I guess it's doing just fine.

Fact of the matter is, this thread was about a user who left BB to go to Android. It wasn't about battery life.

I left BB to go to Android as well as was simply posting my reasons for doing so when people questioned why would anyone change from BB to Android.
    Chrisy and pantlesspenguin like this.
    03-24-11 02:09 PM
    I left BB to go to Android as well as was simply posting my reasons for doing so when people questioned why would anyone change from BB to Android.
    Leaving BB for an Android is fine, your choice, your phone. Most of us are even interested in hearing about what you like more about Android ... once. And civilly. It's the people who jump ship - or were never even on board - then come back here on BlackBerry-focused forums in thread after thread insisting that BlackBerries suck simply because they like their Androids better. All it takes is one mention of Android in any given thread for it to deteriorate into yet another pissing contest with the same friggn' lame-a$$ arguments. You like your Android? Great! I'm ecstatic for you. But goddammit quit throwing back in the faces of those of us who still prefer our BB's how wonderful Android is and how much BB's suck. Of course there are BB cheerleaders who are almost as bad and just throw fuel on the fire, but the way I see it they're just defending their turf. The site is called CrackBerry after all, not Fandroid.

You like yours, I like mine. STFU and move on.

03-24-11 03:29 PM
149 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD