Most consumers don't value battery life. Don't expect much changes in battery development considering the trend is towards shorter and shorter battery life and the vast majority are ok with it.
    03-22-11 01:10 PM
    Care to compare battery life?
    haha I guess that's all bb has left? most people will gladly trade features and useability for the "hassle" of charging your phone overnight.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-22-11 01:18 PM
    haha I guess that's all bb has left? most people will gladly trade features and useability for the "hassle" of charging your phone overnight.
    True, it is hard for other OSes to replicate the disjointed experience Android offers...
    03-22-11 01:25 PM
    I never stated over night. I meant every few hours....
    03-22-11 01:31 PM
    Jayman, you DO know we have many member who stick with CB even though they have moved on to Android, Iphone, or other devices. You are MORE than welcome to stay. We have a dedicated Android Forum, that has a great crowd. Also I invited you to check out our sister site (if you have not done so already), Android Central....

http://www.androidcentral.com
    03-22-11 01:42 PM

With wifi and light to moderate use, that is 37% left :-)
    03-22-11 01:49 PM
    I never stated over night. I meant every few hours....
    I have a Captivate. It's a 4.3" touch screen. Of course it's going to consume more battery than my previous 9700 would.

But to touch on what Jayman is saying, it's not even close comparison wise to what you can do with these things. I LOVE my Android and would never go back to BB.

Do I have to plug my phone in every night? Yup. I did so with my BB too. Do I have to every few hours? No, not even close. With moderate use, I get 14 to 16 hours out of my battery on my Captivate.

Oh and I just finished scanning in my bluray collection into a free app I downloaded from Android Market. Yup, scanned in bar codes with the camera and now have a great list of what I have when I'm at the store and not quite sure if I have that movie yet or not.
    03-22-11 01:50 PM
    True, it is hard for other OSes to replicate the disjointed experience Android offers...
    rimm does it's best to "replicate" all other successful OSs. they just take their sweet time doing it.
    03-22-11 02:00 PM
    rimm does it's best to "replicate" all other successful OSs. they just take their sweet time doing it.
    Ahh, that explains the entirely different OS navigation flow, appearance, hardware priorities, and form factors. Thanks for clearing that up.

Also considering their next OS is QNX and was purchased, I'm curious how that makes any sense whatsoever.
    03-22-11 02:03 PM
    Ahh, that explains the entirely different OS navigation flow, appearance, hardware priorities, and form factors. Thanks for clearing that up.

Also considering their next OS is QNX and was purchased, I'm curious how that makes any sense whatsoever.
    maybe you didn't hear yet but UI of QNX on PB is almost an exact copy of the Palm OS. And rimm is busy now copying the best features of android and ios for their phones. they just seem to be about 18 months behind.
    03-22-11 02:06 PM
    maybe you didn't hear yet but UI of QNX on PB is almost an exact copy of the Palm OS. And rimm is busy now copying the best features of android and ios for their phones. they just seem to be about 18 months behind.
    I thought you said "successful OSes"? Also I think you mean webOs. PalmOS is something entirely different.

Also unless you have visual proof that the UI on QNX smartphones is identical to the PB, the point is moot anyways. We all await screenshots.
    03-22-11 02:07 PM
    I thought you said "successful OSes"? Also I think you mean webOs. PalmOS is something entirely different.

Also unless you have visual proof that the UI on QNX smartphones is identical to the PB, the point is moot anyways. We all await screenshots.
    you're right. it was Web OS that they cloned.
    03-22-11 02:13 PM
    That's the comeback? Aww, this thread is dead to me now... adios
    03-22-11 02:13 PM

With wifi and light to moderate use, that is 37% left :-)
    Lol, is that supposed to be good?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-11 06:02 PM
    I have a Captivate. It's a 4.3" touch screen. Of course it's going to consume more battery than my previous 9700 would.

But to touch on what Jayman is saying, it's not even close comparison wise to what you can do with these things. I LOVE my Android and would never go back to BB.

Do I have to plug my phone in every night? Yup. I did so with my BB too. Do I have to every few hours? No, not even close. With moderate use, I get 14 to 16 hours out of my battery on my Captivate.

Oh and I just finished scanning in my bluray collection into a free app I downloaded from Android Market. Yup, scanned in bar codes with the camera and now have a great list of what I have when I'm at the store and not quite sure if I have that movie yet or not.
    Lol, just lol. Maybe you should buy a memory game instead

03-22-11 06:08 PM
    I had several of your themes, Jay, so I join the thank you crowd. Glad you are enjoying Android as I do though. Really its amazing how behind RIM let itself get...

Annnnnnd theres' belfastdispatcher with his argument that having to charge a phone at night is an inconvenience because human beings only sleep once every 36 - 48 hours. Considering I am at 73% and my phone came off the charger this morning at 7 AM, I'm more than happy with the reliability of the battery on my Android device, especially considering I am running weather, facebook polling hourly, gmail push, hotmail and another email at 5 minute polls, and live wallpaper. Plus I played a few rounds of Angry Birds in there too.

So even though I could plug it in tonight, I don't have to. Of course, we don't live in the alternate universe he does where humans don't sleep. Ever.
    howarmat and pantlesspenguin like this.
    03-22-11 06:20 PM
    If you build themes for Android, let me know where you post them. Am shopping Wed, either upgrade my BB from 8530 or get the Android. The best deal on phone + monthly plan; wins

03-23-11 01:30 AM
    I had several of your themes, Jay, so I join the thank you crowd. Glad you are enjoying Android as I do though. Really its amazing how behind RIM let itself get...

Annnnnnd theres' belfastdispatcher with his argument that having to charge a phone at night is an inconvenience because human beings only sleep once every 36 - 48 hours. Considering I am at 73% and my phone came off the charger this morning at 7 AM, I'm more than happy with the reliability of the battery on my Android device, especially considering I am running weather, facebook polling hourly, gmail push, hotmail and another email at 5 minute polls, and live wallpaper. Plus I played a few rounds of Angry Birds in there too.

So even though I could plug it in tonight, I don't have to. Of course, we don't live in the alternate universe he does where humans don't sleep. Ever.
    Well, I charge my phone overnight as well regardless, I do run my business on my 9700 and I can't take chances. However, if I go away for a weekend I don't have to worry about bringing a charger.
    But you list a few things there as your phone working harder to do them, gmail push and pulling your other emails every 5 minutes. Well this is where any blackberry clearly wins, it gets all emails pushed in seconds at no extra cost to the battery.

03-23-11 03:13 AM
    Captivate is a 4" sAMOLED screen. You're right, though, and to top it off the sAMOLED screens are a bit more battery hungry than some other LCD's, like those used in the Evo, HD2, and HD7 (though it is a better quality panel notwithstanding the pen tile matrix...).

HD2, Evo 4G, HD7, and Droid X have 4.3" screens. Everyone of those phones is better than a Blackberry, IMO.

Do I have to plug my phone in every night? Yup. I did so with my BB too. Do I have to every few hours? No, not even close. With moderate use, I get 14 to 16 hours out of my battery on my Captivate
    Blackberry users mistakenly assume everyone wants to keep their phone off the charger for 3 days between chargers, when almost everything using a micro USB cable and it's trivial to charge the phone almost everywhere a plug or computer exists.

In the car? Car Charger.

At home? Wall Charger with USB Extender on it (give me about 15 feet+ of cord, trivial).

At my parents/the rink/etc.? Wall Charger in my Zuca, or just plug it into someone's computer USB port.

I have spare USB cables everywhere. The need for such ridiculous battery life is very low, out side of rare circumstances, and of course all BB users will claim to be one of those rare users...

It's more of a convenience, but it seems pretty damn stupid to think you're special because you don't have to plug your phone in when you're sleeping, when you won't be using it for anything for that time anyways. It only takes most smartphones to charge from nothing to full 2-3 hours these days...
    03-23-11 04:55 AM

Palm and Windows Mobile kind of had that form factor just as long as RIM has had it. Symbian and feature phones, as well. What are you talking about?

Playbook OS looks like WebOS. I'm curious to see how you're blind enough to not notice that?

Blackberry does function a bit like Windows Mobile, except it actually looks and performs worse (comparing i.e. a Torch to an HD2, both highest-end devices, and the HD2 is almost a year older with 2x the hardware and a lower price point).
    03-23-11 04:57 AM
    Lol, just lol. Maybe you should buy a memory game instead

Please try not to troll the user. Trying to remember 100+ CDs/DVD/BluRay Discs is just dumb. Not even you would try to do it if you had that much, and don't bother telling me you do. You don't...
    03-23-11 04:59 AM
    Lol, is that supposed to be good?

My HD7 has a 1230 mAh battery and can get over two days with moderate usage.

12+ hours with 37% left and pretty good. The phone actually does stuff, and gets used a lot more than Blackberries typically do...

You can actually get much better battery life than that if you install less apps that run in the background (stick to apps that support push notifications, etc.) and set the integrated Social Networking components to only update every 6 hours or so since most people install Twitter/MySpace/Facebook/whatever on their phones anyways.

Also, he probably keeps his GPS on all the time - most people don't need to do that especially if they live in an area with really good coverage. I only turn on the GPS when I need to use a Navigation app.

Maybe it seems complicated to you, but it's a pretty simple thought process...
    Last edited by N8ter; 03-23-11 at 05:22 AM.
    reeneebob likes this.
    03-23-11 05:03 AM
    Back in February I travelled to Los Angeles to do a system install. There were two days of pretty intense work.
    One of my contractors uses an Android device, can't remember which one. He, of course, is not on our network, but his home office allows him to use his personal device for business. So there we were, in the middle of an intense install, when halfway through the day he would begin looking for outlets to plug in. He had to install about twenty computers scattered over an office, and he couldn't carry his phone which was attached to the unit supervisor's wall on her desk. Of course, that meant that he could not communicate with either his home office or our headquarters. When he had to troubleshoot, he simply was not as effective as he should have been.
    The most ridiculous moment came when he literally carried my BB micro usb cable to plug into whichever desktop he was working on.

Since he's a contractor, I can't legally ask him nor provide him with a spare battery.

For our Reno install earlier this month, he showed up with a Torch. A lot smoother, less complicated, and much easier to communicate. Much less stressful for everyone concerned.

Sometimes it's not just plugging a device in while one sleeps - sometimes it's getting through an intense work day in a normal office setting.
    03-23-11 05:12 AM
    Exactly, many days I almost kill my 9700 battery before I get home. What would happen if I had an Android?

03-23-11 05:30 AM
    Which Android device did you get?
    03-23-11 10:42 AM
149 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD