09-13-15 12:05 PM
261 ... 91011
tools
    I think he said apps are hurting BlackBerry, and he's working hard to correct that. What he didn't say is that the correction would involve BB10. He acknowledged that the Amazon solution wasn't good enough. If he has thought of some other way to fix the app gap on BB10 he's the Gandalf of CEOs.
    I don't know how shortsighted they were when they were developing BB10 by thinking they will catch the app game with Android or iOS. Its a game where you can't even come close let alone win it. BB10 has been playing a wrong game since the inception and it has came to a holt. That's why I said few times that BlackBerry executives were smelling for their already evaporated farts of success thinking developers will just come by cause they are BlackBerry.

OK it was risk to take and it didn't pay off. Sure its easy to play the general after the battle but anyone with common sense will tell you not to play the app number game with Apple or Google. Many of the apps provide access to their APIs so one unifying/universal environment that brings the best of all apps need to be deployed. In that case they would need a solid foundation that can take the third party load and integrate it properly and from there on you just need maintenance developers to implement third party features. Sure you wont have all the features their native apps offer on iOS but at least you would have unifying environment like Hub where you would get all your social posts on the same wall and in one environment, completely defragmented. Better to have Vine or Pinterest content that way then not to have it at all.

When it comes to website rewrap apps such as news apps (Bloomberg, ESPN, CNN, etc) you could go ahead and make a universal website wrapper that will process selected websites on demand, again with single design interface, re-arranged data properly laid out and you have your newsfeed section. I mean CSS has been doing this for ages.

But yeah you need vision and talent for something like that and seven figure salary + bonus doesn't guarantee you a third of that. Just like it didn't guarantee that BB10 will be launched as finished, feature rich, modern operating system grown in BlackBerry's spirit and ethics and just like it doesn't guarantee today that they don't need hardware or consumers to survive and sustain loss and thus "focusing" on some imaginary professional market that is 70% same as consumer's market more or less.
    09-02-15 09:19 AM
    Sigh...lol, I can't get over the way some read into what was said, you'd swear some people who have NO idea in the world what the future holds for BB10 were actually part of the BB10 team at BlackBerry itself! Listen to what the man said about the app situation and the steps they are going to take to make it better....not kill BB10,not going to rival Google or Apple...that ship has sailed....they just have to make it better , and according to what JC himself said...not from what I glean from it, what HE said himself that seems to be their plan.

Posted via CB10
    anon(4067838) likes this.
    09-03-15 03:12 AM
    Sadly, this is how it is globally for BlackBerry...

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartpho...rket-share.jsp

Posted from an ME173X
    Yes.. I think I realized late last year that BB10 is not and will never gain any material market share. Like Windows, the OS was too late. Even die hard BlackBerry people I thought I knew have mostly switched to iOS or Android.

What Chen is doing is taking what's great about BB10 and applying to Android. To me it's brilliant. At the end of the day, the HUB and BlackBerry keyboard are the 2 things I love about my Z30. This phone will have those things. Sad if BB10 dies but I am happy to buy a BlackBerry that can do it all in 2015. Bring it!

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    johnny_bravo72 and awindsr like this.
    09-03-15 07:52 AM
    Sigh...lol, I can't get over the way some read into what was said, you'd swear some people who have NO idea in the world what the future holds for BB10 were actually part of the BB10 team at BlackBerry itself! Listen to what the man said about the app situation and the steps they are going to take to make it better....not kill BB10,not going to rival Google or Apple...that ship has sailed....they just have to make it better , and according to what JC himself said...not from what I glean from it, what HE said himself that seems to be their plan.

Posted via CB10
    Some people, myself included, think that the only way he can do those things is by switching to Android.
    09-03-15 08:08 AM
    Don't feed the trolls.

BB10 works great now for all core smartphone functions. If you buy a phone now, it will work perfectly for years.

The BB10 app ecosystem is not going to get any better anytime soon. If you don't like your app choices on BB10, but like the gestures, flow and security, you should root for a successful transition to Android (if Google Play Services matter to you) or an improved Android runtime (if you don't want or need Google Play Services).

For me, I will stick with BB10 for my daily driver work phone because I absolutely love it as it is right now. I could easily use it for another 2-3 years so long as the current out of the box functionality is maintained. My next phone will also be BB10. Either the Passport or some other new BB10 phone if they make one.

I almost always carry a Surface pro tablet or a workstation-grade laptop with me for serious work, and I own, but never carry, an iPad and Nexus tablet. I own them "just in case" I need some other App. However, I haven't used either for anything other than games for my 5-year old in months.

Buy the phone you want/need, and don't expect anyone else to agree with you. If you want/need other people to validate your choices, BB10 is the wrong platform.

Posted via CB10
    awindsr likes this.
    09-03-15 08:46 AM
    I don't know how shortsighted they were when they were developing BB10 by thinking they will catch the app game with Android or iOS.
    In 2012, when BB10 was supposed to launch, iOS had less than 10% market share, and Android had only 23%. BB07 devices were still widely used. If they had launched earlier they might have developed a much stronger core following, perhaps as high as 10-15% of the smartphone market, which would have attracted much more interest from developers, particularly for enterprise.

What BlackBerry was simply not prepared for was the iTunes approach to app distribution, and consumer interest in them as well as the BYOD movement in general.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    09-03-15 09:04 AM
    WTH folks, this is like daytime television.

Posted via CB10
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    09-03-15 05:10 PM
    WTH folks, this is like daytime television.

Posted via CB10
    OK porky pig

Posted via CB10
    09-03-15 05:54 PM
    OK porky pig

Posted via CB10
    A Hahahaha you're funny.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    09-03-15 10:11 PM
    Thread title needs to be changed to

Good Buy, BlackBerry!

;-D

  Andro-Loader (TM) - who is gonna leak ...? Black-Berry! dadadada dee dum dee dum...  
    09-04-15 06:45 PM
    Surely you mean Hello BlackBerry 10 with Android partition

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 12:05 PM
261 ... 91011